Blaney Wins First Cup Race

blksn8k2

That A-hole tried his best to wreck Blaney before he got passed. My guess is he didn't give any interviews after the race... :cry::baby:

I would hate to be the guy who made the call not to pit for tires on that last restart. I bet he (Kyle) wins Radio Sweethearts again. ;)

I liked the Saturday race which I usually don't watch but it was a really slow TV day. They replaced all the announcers with drivers. Bowyer, Harvick and Logano called the race with Danica and Hamlin in the hotel. Blaney and Erik Jones were pit reporters (and one other - forgot who). They did a great job - maybe better than the regulars.

Blaney interviewed Brad in the winner's circle after the race, which is why they let Brad interview Blaney yesterday.

I liked the Saturday race which I usually don't watch but it was a really slow TV day. They replaced all the announcers with drivers. Bowyer, Harvick and Logano called the race with Danica and Hamlin in the hotel. Blaney and Erik Jones were pit reporters (and one other - forgot who). They did a great job - maybe better than the regulars.

Blaney interviewed Brad in the winner's circle after the race, which is why they let Brad interview Blaney yesterday.

It was Stenhouse you're forgetting.

You mean Mr. Patrick?

The best part was not hearing Boogity Boogity Boogity Let's go Racing Boys!

Lol, yeah she does seem like the type that would wear the pants in a relationship.

And yeah, it's time for Boogity Boogity Boogity to go. It was cute for the first few times he did it, now its cringeworthy.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure how true it is but I saw a claim that Harvick's motor turned 12,100 RPM when he missed a shift near the end of stage 2 at Pocono. It was right after the exit of turn 2 when he tried to shift from 3rd to 4th gear but hit 2nd gear instead. Whew!

Not sure how true it is but I saw a claim that Harvick's motor turned 12,100 RPM when he missed a shift near the end of stage 2 at Pocono. It was right after the exit of turn 2 when he tried to shift from 3rd to 4th gear but hit 2nd gear instead. Whew!

Not sure about the RPM but it was pretty high and yes, he did miss the shift just like Jr.

Not sure about the RPM but it was pretty high and yes, he did miss the shift just like Jr.

Any idea when Jr missed his shift? Was it during a restart or at speed? That could make a huge difference just due to vehicle speed. I don't know what kind of speed they would be at where it happened to Harvick but I would guess somewhere in the 140-150 mph range considering that they were approaching 200 mph entering turn 1.

The rev limiter won't help under those conditions either. At that point it is all mechanical and directly related to vehicle speed.

Edited by blksn8k2

Any idea when Jr missed his shift? Was it during a restart or at speed? That could make a huge difference just due to vehicle speed. I don't know what kind of speed they would be at where it happened to Harvick but I would guess somewhere in the 140-150 mph range considering that they were approaching 200 mph entering turn 1.

The rev limiter won't help under those conditions either. At that point it is all mechanical and directly related to vehicle speed.

I think Jr missed it during the restart.

Jr did it twice. Once at speed during practice and once during a restart.

Speaking of JR....today's SB Nation claims Kenseth could replace JR since his Gibbs contract expires end of this season. Isn't Kenseth the oldest driver currently at 45?

Looking at previous Roush drivers who are retired...Edwards, Biffle, Martin....only Kenseth and Kurt Busch still driving.

Edited by bdegrand

I think there could also be something said for the competition making better adjustments throughout the race and Kyle's team not keeping up. They seem to be good "off the truck" but as the race goes on they lose whatever advantage they had at the beginning of the race. Maybe their cars are just not as adjustable? Doesn't Furniture Row get their stuff from JGR? They seem to be more consistent than the Gibbs guys although Truex's team did have a lot of problems with the right front during pit stops at Sonoma.

I think there could also be something said for the competition making better adjustments throughout the race and Kyle's team not keeping up. They seem to be good "off the truck" but as the race goes on they lose whatever advantage they had at the beginning of the race. Maybe their cars are just not as adjustable? Doesn't Furniture Row get their stuff from JGR? They seem to be more consistent than the Gibbs guys although Truex's team did have a lot of problems with the right front during pit stops at Sonoma.

That's a little bit what I meant by misplayed strategies. They almost always seem to be on old tires at the end too.

I still think it's 80% car and setup and 20% driver if not 90/10. I think 80-90% of the drivers can win a race with the winning car but can't win a race with a midpack or worse car.

If it was 80% driver then the strategy and car setup wouldn't be as crucial.

I still think it's 80% car and setup and 20% driver if not 90/10. I think 80-90% of the drivers can win a race with the winning car but can't win a race with a midpack or worse car.

If it was 80% driver then the strategy and car setup wouldn't be as crucial.

I think it's safe to say that Clint Boyer has proved that to be true, though I disagree on the percentages. I think it's more 60-40 car-driver, at least in the NASCAR world.