Ford to shift Focus production to China in 2019

Ford to shift Focus production to China in 2019

Ford Motor Co. will export the next-generation Focus from China to the U.S. for the first time in 2019.

The Dearborn-based automaker announced Tuesday that production on the new model of the small car will begin at existing plants in China in the second half of 2019. The North American model is currently manufactured at the Michigan Assembly Plant in Wayne, where it will stay until mid-2018.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/autos/ford/2017/06/20/ford-moving-production-focus-china-wayne-michigan/103032080/

This solves the Fusion and Focus at the same plant problem. Despite the sales volume I don't think Ford was making any money on Focus at MAP and the prospects probably weren't much better in Hermosillo. Tough to sell a premium small car right now. Most of the ones I saw were cheaper SE sedans. This will allow them to compete at a lower price point.

If this allows them to proceed with CD6 and the new electric vehicles and more performance vehicles I think it will be a good move.

Well this makes even more sense:

After importing initial production of the new Focus cars from China, Ford will ship variants of the model later from Europe, the company said. The Michigan Assembly Plant now making the Focus will be retooled to produce the Ranger midsize pickup in late 2018 and the Bronco midsize SUV in 2020.

I'm assuming they are talking about the ST and other models that have a higher price point that can be profitable coming from Europe. The SE and lower models will come from China.

The China version may even be mechanically different using cheaper parts and components than the higher end Euro models.

But that still begs the question - what happens when current inventory runs out late 2018 and early 2019 before the China models arrive? Can they import them from Europe? I know they can build up some inventory but not enough to last 12+ months. Do they just let it die?

Edited by akirby

The company said “additional variants” of the next-generation model will come from Europe following the shift, with most of the new North American Models initially coming from China.

I assume that pertains to future performance models like the RS which is currently built in Germany.

I just hope they can control Chinese quality issues. When the company I retired from tried manufacturing in China the quality was horrendous. That was a major reason why they purchased a manufacturing company in Mexico where quality was at least tolerable. Just because GM is doing it doesn't make it a great idea.

I do not like this at all. If they can do it to the Focus then they can do it to any other model. I don't like doing business with countries that don't have the same ideals that we have in our country, and are regularly playing Geo political games with us.

You can probably thank GM for testing the waters with the Buick Envision for this sad decision.

I guess I can cross the future Focus off my list for my daughter.

• Like 2

I do not like this at all. If they can do it to the Focus then they can do it to any other model. I don't like doing business with countries that don't have the same ideals that we have in our country, and are regularly playing Geo political games with us.

You can probably thank GM for testing the waters with the Buick Envision for this sad decision.

I guess I can cross the future Focus off my list for my daughter.

I have a question and I'm not trying to be a dick. Would it have still been on the list had it been built in Mexico?

This is a sad day. I used to be proud to work for Ford.

Well coming from this both ways...My father is retired Ford and I'm a stock holder...the world is a different place place now. Does it really make any difference if it came from Mexico or China and on top of that there hasn't been any job loses in the US because of this action? Seems like its the "smart" thing to do for the overall health of the company.

It's one thing to have a niche model from a questionable nation, but the whole line?, really how much money Ford think thay saving from this?. Not good.

your a dumbass and obviously missed this part:

After importing initial production of the new Focus cars from China, Ford will ship variants of the model later from Europe, the company said

• Like 1

As for quality...Nooo one complains about their Iphone or other electronic devices being built in China. Yes, a car is different to a point, but I'm sure Ford won't let it get any worse then it is now. Has there been any major issues with the cars GM is importing?