Ford CEO pushing speed to shake up automaker

Focus outsold the "all new" Cruze in June at least.

I think the next gen Focuses should be hatches and wagons, no fleet special 4 doors. Yes I say offer a wagon now after chiding ex posters. Make the wagon look like an SUV aim at millennials as a 'lower cost utility'.

Regarding CD6, don't expect any "Lincoln coupe". Look at how well the Cadillac coupes are [not] selling.

Ford can't build cars for fan boys and vintage car hobbyists to look at and "dream about" but not buy new. They have to build to paying customers. Can't expect a "comeback" of 1960's type 2 doors like Cougar or Mark III. Mustang is barely hanging on by its hoofs.

Edited by 630land

Yeah except it doesn't....

I didn't say it was selling amazingly, but it still does sell ok, and as someone else pointed out, more than the Cruze.

Regarding CD6, don't expect any "Lincoln coupe". Look at how well the Cadillac coupes are [not] selling.

Ford can't build cars for fan boys and vintage car hobbyists to look at and "dream about" but not buy new. They have to build to paying customers. Can't expect a "comeback" of 1960's type 2 doors like Cougar or Mark III. Mustang is barely hanging on by its hoofs.

I've been told they've been working on one.

And the only way such a project would be feasible is if it IS on a shared architecture where they can spread out costs across multiple vehicles riding on the same platform/architecture. Otherwise, I'd have to agree.

I've been told they've been working on one.

And the only way such a project would be feasible is if it IS on a shared architecture where they can spread out costs across multiple vehicles riding on the same platform/architecture. Otherwise, I'd have to agree.

It makes sense if it can share a platform with mustang. And it was in the plans at one time - not sure what happened the last year or so.

Funny that people are saying Ford should cancel vehicles that sell 150k-250k per year just because they're down a little.

• Like 1

Well thats a real downer

Making Focus only hatchbacks and wagons makes no sense, since the overwhelming majority of sales in the C class are sedans.

I think Taurus and Fiesta will likely be dropped. I think if CD6 becomes reality, it will be a crossover platform with no Ford sedan. Maybe Lincoln.

I think Focus and Fusion should just be SWB and LWB versions of the same platform, just as Honda is doing with Accord and Civic and some predict will happen with Camry and Corolla.

I think Mustang stays on its current platform for years to come, with updates to keep it current. No Lincoln coupes. Ford couldn't sell more than 300 Lincoln coupes per month.

I look for Cadillac, Buick, and Lincoln in the long term to stop producing sedans in North America and just ship what's needed from China. No financial sense in having two different production facilities for low production cars.

• Like 1

It's a rumored modular platform reportedly able to be made into FWD/RWD/AWD that is rumored to underpin the next-gen Fusion, MKZ, Explorer, Aviator, Mustang, Continental, Lincoln coupe, etc

Ah "rumored"-thx-all along I thought it was a current platform

PIU is a modified explorer so both are D3.

got it

If the SHO goes away, the Fusion Sport is a fine replacement for it.

IMO I have a feeling the CD6 is going to be another GRDW...something talked about for years but never comes to fruition.

Fusion is nice-but tough for this old guy to swallow the "made in Mexico" label- then again probably looks like i'm not going to have much choice looking on down the road.

Ok so Focus might have a tarnished name, but so did Explorer/Taurus at one time, would it matter that much ?

Also, Fiesta has been less on our minds since it's somewhat a new nameplate, would it be more "foregiveable" to kill that one where its barely making a profit, and maybe bring Chinese Focus over where we are certain it'll make some decent profits and be the "entry" vehicle?

As for Taurus, is it much of a stretch to just bring or build the Chinese stretched Fusion Taurus? Or maybe the next generation Fusion addresses it's tight rear seat accomodations with a stretch but keep the Fusion name and maybe teeter on that BIG Midsize car, A 'la Accord, to push Taurus out ?

Ok so Focus might have a tarnished name, but so did Explorer/Taurus at one time, would it matter that much ?

Also, Fiesta has been less on our minds since it's somewhat a new nameplate, would it be more "foregiveable" to kill that one where its barely making a profit, and maybe bring Chinese Focus over where we are certain it'll make some decent profits and be the "entry" vehicle?

As for Taurus, is it much of a stretch to just bring or build the Chinese stretched Fusion Taurus? Or maybe the next generation Fusion addresses it's tight rear seat accomodations with a stretch but keep the Fusion name and maybe teeter on that BIG Midsize car, A 'la Accord, to push Taurus out ?

I don't see the Fiesta going anywhere...you still need a B car to compete in the small car market and CAFE reasons. One easy thing to do is bring over the Fiesta Active, which makes it look more like a crossover..the Focus could use this too. I don't think the Ecosport is quite ready for prime time in the US market and I don't think Ford will sell it "Cheap", hopefully the next gen will be better suited to the needs of NA market.

I think the large sedan market is dead in non-luxury form. There isn't really a demand for it and large CUV's are taking that market over. If there was really a demand for it, the Chinese Taurus would have been brought over as a replacement already or in the pipeline.

All of a sudden there is a lot of talk on here about import this and import that from China. Please stop with that. It is an American car company, as such their cars should at least be built in North America. "Made in China" is a non-starter for me. If I want something made in China I'll buy some fireworks, which they are known for manufacturing. Last time I checked "Ford" was an American company, not Chinese. I would rather have Geely trying to sell their cars here, which would at least be genuine and not pretending like it is an American car built in China.

• Like 3

All of a sudden there is a lot of talk on here about import this and import that from China. Please stop with that. It is an American car company, as such their cars should at least be built in North America. "Made in China" is a non-starter for me. If I want something made in China I'll buy some fireworks, which they are known for manufacturing. Last time I checked "Ford" was an American company, not Chinese. I would rather have Geely trying to sell their cars here, which would at least be genuine and not pretending like it is an American car built in China.

The "Chinese" Taurus was developed in Australia and is built in China...might want to wake up..this isn't 1950 any more...the vast majority of the electronic items you have in your home are built in China or other parts of the Far East.

The "Chinese" Taurus was developed in Australia and is built in China...might want to wake up..this isn't 1950 any more...the vast majority of the electronic items you have in your home are built in China or other parts of the Far East.

That doesn't mean I have to like it, nor does it mean it has to be that way. Until the day comes that there aren't any American made cars left, you will not find a Chinese built car in my driveway. When that day comes, I'll have to accept it, only drive used cars, or do a lot of walking. That day isn't here yet though. Edited by tbone
  • Like 4

I'm onboard with Tbone's comments. No doubt it's a world economy but what really concerns me is while the Chinese own our industry, they are not exactly our friends that IMO can be trusted. We are selling out to them left and right and every know and then we wake up to the military/political consequences.

As I've said before, let's see what kind of tough action they take with the nut job in North Korea. My bet is a lot of tough talk and no action.

• Like 2

I don't see the Fiesta going anywhere...you still need a B car to compete in the small car market and CAFE reasons. One easy thing to do is bring over the Fiesta Active, which makes it look more like a crossover..the Focus could use this too. I don't think the Ecosport is quite ready for prime time in the US market and I don't think Ford will sell it "Cheap", hopefully the next gen will be better suited to the needs of NA market.

I think the large sedan market is dead in non-luxury form. There isn't really a demand for it and large CUV's are taking that market over. If there was really a demand for it, the Chinese Taurus would have been brought over as a replacement already or in the pipeline.

I was proposing to drop the Fiesta sedan, not the hatchback; and I agree with the idea of bringing the Active model over.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see the Chinese Taurus brought over now that Hackett is in charge. It's already being made, and we need a Taurus replacement. It might not be the most exciting design, but it's more modern than what we have. If anything, as a stopgap until a CD6-based replacement comes.

For what it's worth, Hyundai has just announced that it is discontinuing the Azera. The market is really weak for non-premium large cars.

That's why I was suggesting a premium large Ford sedan based on CD6 and shared with MKZ/Continental. Something that would sell 3K-4K but at premium prices.

I'm onboard with Tbone's comments. No doubt it's a world economy but what really concerns me is while the Chinese own our industry, they are not exactly our friends that IMO can be trusted. We are selling out to them left and right and every know and then we wake up to the military/political consequences.

The Chinese are just as dependent on us as we might be (in your eyes) to them. There isn't going to be a whole sale shift of cars being made in China, logistically it doesn't make any sense to do so...thats why larger items like Stoves, washers and dryers etc are still made in the US...it makes no sense to ship them via container ship.

I don't see Ford bothering with replacing Taurus. Big car fans want to see them for sale, but who is buying? Cops now want SUV's to haul all their gear, and Taxi companies use Toyota hybrids or minvans. No need for a large car anymore.

"this isn't 1950 any more" No kidding. And water is wet. World Trade is good. Moving more manufacturing over to an abusive trading partner is not. So what if we already import far too many products from China? That's hardly a reason to support importing more from them.

Imports from China $462 Billion Exports to China $116 Billion = $347 Billion Deficit vs. Imports from Mexico $294 Billion, Exports to Mexico $231 Billion = $63 Billion dollar deficit.

One can argue that trade with Mexico is somewhat even and increases "the size of the pie" so that the deficit is not a problem. However with China our exports to them only a 1/4 of what they are exporting to us and thus the deficit is about 3 times our total exports to them. Hard to view that relationship as anything but money draining out of our economy to fund China. Even if China has an interest in our economy remaining healthy, how can running this type of deficit be good in the long run for jobs in the U.S. ? Has nothing to do with living in the 50's, it has to do with being worried about the future.

• Like 3

It's a temporary situation, nothing more. They'll have to make infrastructure changes in North America to move it back which probably can't happen until after the FRAP upgrades from a resource/cash flow perspective.

FRAP upgrades and MAP changeover. Remember they're putting almost $1 billion into MAP for the Ranger and Bronco.