Would like to 3.5 ecoboost turbo failure.

Hello, I would like to know others experience with turbo failure on a 3.5 ecoboost engine how prevalent?

2014 flex with 68,000 miles on it and at dealer know as smoking to bad to drive. Appears as I suspected rear turbo failed and the price tag to repair is likely 3000.00 with a converter being oiled up.

Not happy at all second time this engine has failed(timing fell apart at 47,0000). This is the first Ford I did not buy the factory extended warranty on and am getting bit by it. Years ago Ford would offer goodwill assistance for such issues as there is no way anything should fail on maintained engine below 100,000 miles. Does anyone know if they still do same?

Is this an issue everyone is dealing with perhaps just being a poor product as that price is only for one of the turbo's

Turbo failures are really rare. I think I've only heard of a couple on F150s. Sounds like the engine may have had other issues well before the turbo failed.

They still do AWAs (After Warranty Adjustments) but your dealer has to push for it and usually has to kick in themselves to get Ford to help. Worth a shot.

The first repair you said was timing failure. Did they change the engine or just replace timing components? A lot of times, turbos are like catalytic converters. They don't normally die, they get killed. I'm wondering if that turbo had some oiling issue from contamination of previous problem. I would ask for assistance. Call customer service and say you have had two major engine issues and see if they will help.

• Like 1

Well as said rare to a point ,,,should not have happened at all all. All oil changes synthetic whole nine yards and not towed at all just daily commute ,but it is the rear one that failed in the heat area .Turbo and converter replacement required,,,,however good news is My dealer went to bat for me ,I asked them to ask for 50%figuring better to ask for the expectation rather than leaving it on the table. Ford did better , gonna cost me a 500.00 gotta be happy with that thank you guys

• Like 1

Good to hear. That's why I always tell my friends to develop a relationship with your dealership. Get the service work done there and most of the time they will value you as a good customer and help out. Not all dealers are the same, but find a good one and the pay off can be invaluable.

That's why I always tell my friends to develop a relationship with your dealership. Get the service work done there and most of the time they will value you as a good customer and help out. Not all dealers are the same, but find a good one and the pay off can be invaluable.

I'm not sure how a "good" dealer is going to help with a major post-warranty repair. All the can do is submit the warranty request. The rest is up to corporate.

I'm not sure how a "good" dealer is going to help with a major post-warranty repair. All the can do is submit the warranty request. The rest is up to corporate.

Actually the dealer has to use their allotted p18 money they get from Ford every year to help with these types of situations. So being a loyal customer gives you a much larger chance for help. Help also depends on the customers loyalty score that is calculated by Ford.
  • Like 1

The dealer has to be willing to make the request and they typically have to kick in money of their own on these AWAs.

It definitely matters to have a good relationship with your dealer. They don't have to help you with the customer assistance cash. My dealer helped me with the replacement of the steering rack on our Explorer that was out of warranty. They didn't have to do that.