Ford Gets Earning Boost, Might Drop Taurus/C-Max

The great part is that Taurus is built alongside the popular Explorer,

and as sales reduce for Taurus, that production is given over to Explorer.

so Ford can dribble out production fir as long as it wants.

Not sure if Ford can really increase sales 50-70K alone with the Explorer.

Given the Age of Explorer, it's still selling quite well and look at production last month and YTD

Taurus...............4385 (5,522)........29,303 (30,695)

Explorer...........29,407 (26,917)......167,775 (167,640)

TOTAL.............33,792 (32,439).....,197,078 (201,449)

Perhaps you're right on the ability to replace all Taurus production with Explorer, it seems like

the taurus is holding strong at the numbers you mentioned and, is there an Aviator on the way

with the NG Explorer whenerver that drops...

Ford sure works its plants hard.

Edited by jpd80

If and when Taurus is killed off...a couple of ideas come to mind.....give next gen Fusion a 4-6 inch stretch for a Taurus "up-model" or just import the Chinese version here to fill the smaller market niche.

We already know that Focus is growing in size so it only makes sense to grow the Fusion too.

Lincoln version can probably take up 30~40k of that volume between North America and China. And you figure that the new model may actually lift Explorer volume a bit. And the extra volume may allow Ford to significantly expand the export program. I would imagine that between China, Australia, and Middle East, there is easily another 20~30k Explorer volume if there is no supply constrain.

Edited by bzcat

Lincoln version can probably take up 30~40k of that volume between North America and China. And you figure that the new model may actually lift Explorer volume a bit. And the extra volume may allow Ford to significantly expand the export program. I would imagine that between China, Australia, and Middle East, there is easily another 20~30k Explorer volume if there is no supply constrain.

I was figuring if the Taurus goes away 18MY, the new Explorer and Lincoln Explorer might not show up for another 12-18 months after that.

Aviator is a 2020 model ;)

Thinking that if NG Explorer launch happened in September 2018 as a MY19,

then Aviator could launch 4-6 months later as a MY20....

Do you think that is likely or will both be launched in 2019 as MY20s?

Edited by jpd80

Thinking that if NG Explorer launch happened in September 2018 as a MY19,

then Aviator could launch 4-6 months later as a MY20....

Do you think that is likely or will both be launched in 2019 as MY20s?

No idea about Explorer. All I know is Aviator is a 2020 model. No idea when it's supposed to launch.

I was figuring if the Taurus goes away 18MY, the new Explorer and Lincoln Explorer might not show up for another 12-18 months after that.

Well, maybe Ford will build an extra 50k D4 Explorer for inventory while Chicago is shut down to retool for CD6 Explorer and Aviator in 2019.

I know that CD6 is primarily for Explorer and Aviator but would another Taurus based on that platform be out of the question?

Thinking of something that can still share a lot of Explorer parts and be built down the same line as incremental production...

Edited by jpd80

I know that CD6 is primarily for Explorer and Aviator but would another Taurus based on that platform be out of the question?

Thinking of something that can still share a lot of Explorer parts and be built down the same line as incremental production...

More likely it would share the Lincoln CD6 sedan platform which most of us assume is still in the works although maybe delayed thanks to Fields.

If done it would be a lower volume, higher ATP performance sedan. It would need Lincoln versions to help pay for the platform development.

• Like 1