Ford Gets Earning Boost, Might Drop Taurus/C-Max

More likely it would share the Lincoln CD6 sedan platform which most of us assume is still in the works although maybe delayed thanks to Fields.

If done it would be a lower volume, higher ATP performance sedan. It would need Lincoln versions to help pay for the platform development.

Aviator (and presumably NG MKX, whatever they decide to call it) could do the same thing without adding a sedan that would by that point be a niche product.

Unless we're talking about moving the NG Continental timeline up to utilize the new platform, that would make more sense I think than something all new (and a third sedan for Lincoln).

More likely it would share the Lincoln CD6 sedan platform which most of us assume is still in the works although maybe delayed thanks to Fields.

If done it would be a lower volume, higher ATP performance sedan. It would need Lincoln versions to help pay for the platform development.

https://www.autoblog.com/2017/07/31/ford-ceo-jim-hackett-reviewing-future-technology-lincoln-india/

The review of the Lincoln luxury brand includes whether current plans will meet former CEO Mark Fields' ambitious targets for growth and revenue, people familiar with the process said.

Ford has set a target of putting a self-driving shuttle into commercial ride-sharing fleets by 2021. Hackett is reviewing the investment and timing for that project, the sources said.

Hackett also assessing whether to reduce and consolidate production of models such as the Fiesta subcompact and two midsized sedans that are built in multiple locations around the world, but are experiencing slowing demand.

One proposal would shift production of the next-generation Mondeo midsized sedan from Europe to Mexico, where it would share an assembly line with its sibling, the Ford Fusion, avoiding the cost of retooling two plants.

Shortly after he took charge, Hackett approved a proposal to shift production of the next-generation Focus for North America from Mexico to China, saving the company an estimated $500 million by consolidating two factories into one.

Hackett also is said to be questioning a plan to build at least half a dozen future models, including replacements for the Ford Mustang and Explorer and Lincoln Continental, on a new flexible platform that is designed to accommodate both front- and rear-wheel-drive vehicles.

Let's hope he's not going to drop the platform. What else would they do? Rehash the same platforms over and over?

https://www.autoblog.com/2017/07/31/ford-ceo-jim-hackett-reviewing-future-technology-lincoln-india/

Let's hope he's not going to drop the platform. What else would they do? Rehash the same platforms over and over?

i'd hope not, that would basically fuck 500K+ worth of sales between all the possible vehicles that would benefit moving to or sharing the CD6

Mustang

Explorer

Explorer based Lincoln

Continental

MKZ

MKX

Lincoln Mustang

I heard CD6 Explorer and Aviator were re-greenlighted and fast tracked. Maybe the article has old info.

Good, both need to be around yesterday. It could've also been just a "filler" comment about it - that he's reviewing it/considering dropping it like any other review of the business.

I've seen drawings of the Aviator, which tells me they're not far off from Pilot builds.

You can't go dropping that kind of info without hinting at what it looks like.......mini Navigator basically? Or something else? Unless you can't share (perhaps a PM would be ok? I can keep a secret ;) )

You can't go dropping that kind of info without hinting at what it looks like.......mini Navigator basically? Or something else? Unless you can't share (perhaps a PM would be ok? I can keep a secret ;) )

Think Range Rover with the Continental front end. It's very much in line with what we think we are about to see with the MKX refresh.

I thought dropping the C-Max was a done deal with 2018 being the final MY. Then in 2020 (late 2019) the new EV's will debut, is that still the case?

Considering the Focus is ending production, the C-Max will follow suit also.

Not sure of the time line of the new EV, but that sounds plausible

Now, Fields said Ford will produce a new, fully electric SUV with a 300-mile range

that it will launch in 2020 and a fully autonomous vehicle at the Flat Rock plant.

http://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/ford/2017/01/03/ford-invests-700m-mich-cancels-plan-mexico-plant/96102276/

The media has been tanking with the difference between MY and CY.