Ford Vehicle Ordering & Scheduling Process

1 minute ago, Steve74 said:

Correct, I placed my order Sep 3 and my car was built and ready to ship Oct 28. Then it sat waited until Dec 23 before it was eventually allocated to a railcar and then finally arrived in Calgary this week.

Congratulations! I placed mine Dec 11. I’m in Regina. Dealership told me that the production date will be on Jan 22.  Did you track it from the assembly plant until it arrived to the dealership? It took you 5 months to wait? Wow! That’s a long wait. 

Just now, Jhopet said:

Congratulations! I placed mine Dec 11. I’m in Regina. Dealership told me that the production date will be on Jan 22.  Did you track it from the assembly plant until it arrived to the dealership? It took you 5 months to wait? Wow! That’s a long wait. 

I did track it as much as i could, information is limited to us Canadians. I found that I got better/more detailed info from this forum.

1 hour ago, akirby said:

Maybe that was the wrong terminology - I've seen cases where someone had a printout showing a stock priority but maybe they hadn't actually submitted the order yet in the system.  Point was that may not be the actual priority currently in the system so go back and check to be safe.   And it's certainly possible they don't know how to do retail orders correctly.

This is what happened after talking to the dealership. The submitted order was put in as Retail with Priority Code 10. They sent me a picture of it so I'm good. I sure wish they would have told me that. Thanks for the replies.

4 hours ago, Steve74 said:

I did track it as much as i could, information is limited to us Canadians. I found that I got better/more detailed info from this forum.

I just contacted the dealership but it seems that my build date was move to feb 26 from jan 22. That was a month from the original build date. I don’t know why. Dealership did promise to get the car by 2nd or 3rd week of feb but I think that is not gonna happen now. If I can just cancel my order and get my deposit I would then get a car from other dealership. Disappointed. Anyways, enjoy your new car though. 

2 hours ago, Jhopet said:

I just contacted the dealership but it seems that my build date was move to feb 26 from jan 22. That was a month from the original build date. I don’t know why. Dealership did promise to get the car by 2nd or 3rd week of feb but I think that is not gonna happen now. If I can just cancel my order and get my deposit I would then get a car from other dealership. Disappointed. Anyways, enjoy your new car though. 

It's probably due to a commodity issue. It's not unusual, especially with Mustangs for whatever reason. Your dealer should be able to find out why.  

I have a Mustang Mach-E ordered and the dealer through its Visibility Program shows a Production date of tomorrow, 1/27/21. My question is the definition of Production. I know this is a plan since it has had this date for several weeks. If the date holds, when typically is the vehicle actually completed assembly...does is start or complete assembly on 1/27, if all goes according to plan? Are the first components started in the assembly process, or is the assemble process completed on that date (if according to plan)? Many thanks...Tom

Looking for some help to confirm my dealer is not being straight with me. Ordered a 2021 F250 7.3L XL 4X4 with a handful of options on 11/16/20, dealer said vin in about a month and delivery in 10 to 12 weeks; fine, left a $500 deposit. 1/7/21 contacted dealer for update, no vin issued yet (noted as clean in system) should be any day now. Kept checking back each week with same response so on 1/25/21 reached out to sales manager who said they would contact area rep. Got a call from my sales person two days later stating the following: Since Ford sells 80% Diesels and only 20% gas trucks they are only producing diesel trucks and they won’t start producing gas trucks until some time in March because they have to change the tooling at the plant; truck won’t be delivered until sometime in May. Any truth to any of this or am I just getting pushed back by my dealer because I have lower profit truck with a 19 priority code..? Any insight would be appreciated, thanks.

1 hour ago, Merch said:

Since Ford sells 80% Diesels and only 20% gas trucks they are only producing diesel trucks and they won’t start producing gas trucks until some time in March because they have to change the tooling at the plant; truck won’t be delivered until sometime in May.

No. The 7.3L gas engines have been on sale for a year now. There is no "tooling change" necessary, that's either a blatant lie or sheer ignorance. Either way unacceptable and your salesman should know better.

Given that yours is priority 19, it probably just got bumped behind a big fleet order or something. Profitability doesn't have anything to do with it, especially when it comes to special orders. Could be an allocation issue too like the last guy said, especially if it's a smaller dealer. 

Edited by fuzzymoomoo

8 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Given that yours is priority 19, it probably just got bumped behind a big fleet order or something. Profitability doesn't have anything to do with it, especially when it comes to special orders. Could be an allocation issue too like the last guy said, especially if it's a smaller dealer. 

With a "19" priority code it would have been pushed back behind any other retail orders with priority codes 10-18 and any allocation issues. Retail and Fleet priority codes and scheduling is completely separate and fleet scheduling has no bearing on retail allocation or scheduling.  

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Merch said:

Kind of what I thought?. Appreciate the help, I will be getting my deposit back Monday.

Don't do that. There's a semiconductor shortage going on right now and it's reached Super Duty production. Unfortunately since yours has a low priority number it's still going to get bumped but it's a better answer than what I was able to give you last night. 

I understand what your saying and at this point i’m sure it is still the quickest way to get the truck I want. With that being said, I am not inclined to give my money to a dealership that intentionally mislead or even lied to me; it may not be an uncommon practice in the industry but it is not how I want to do business.I will certainly ponder my options further before doing anything drastic. Once again appreciate the insight.

6 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Don't do that. There's a semiconductor shortage going on right now and it's reached Super Duty production. Unfortunately since yours has a low priority number it's still going to get bumped but it's a better answer than what I was able to give you last night. 

Does this shortage impact builds that are already "scheduled for week" or just unscheduled builds?

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, SD FAN said:

I’m new to Blue Oval, this may have been covered previously. I’ve seen news story that layoffs are occurring @ F150 plants due to chip shortage. Does this affect F250 also? I ordered a Lariat 7.3 4x4 on 

1/7/21. Any insight is appreciated

Two separate plants and the F-150 is the only one affected so far and its a temporary-I believe Ford said only a week or two. 

• 2 weeks later...

New member here.  I went through and read entire post so my question wouldn’t be incorrectly stated.  I went to a dealer and asked about ordering F250 xl crew 6.2.  They stated they would not be able to order any more 2021s at this time due to new production of the 22s.  They said I would have to order a 22 or look through their inventory.  Meanwhile smaller dealer about 20 or so miles up the street says they can order after I submitted them the online order.  They said it would take about 2 months.  They also said they could give me about a $2000 discount roughly.  I’m thinking bigger dealer has ran out of allocations for ordering, but I’m also worried the smaller dealer is not going to fulfill as quickly and it may take excessively longer than they stated due to being a smaller dealer.  Would they be able to give a smaller priority code?  Also what kind of deposit would be required for an order?  I’m thinking that may be a dealer discretion kind of thing though.  Also, what was a good website to track submitted orders for my location USA, Pennsylvania?  Should I request a certain printout from them when the order has been submitted?  I think the big dealer just doesn’t want to submit the order to be honest and wants me to buy off the lot for a quick sale.  Thanks again for any help.

Get a copy of the DORA or whatever is being used today - it’s the order acknowledgement from Ford with all the details.

The deposit is entirely up to the dealer.  Some require no deposit some may want up to $1k depending on the uniqueness of the order.

Priority only matters within each dealership.  Your order would be priority 10-19 which puts it ahead of all stock orders (20+).  But you’re right to be concerned about allocation at a small dealer.   But if you really want a 2021 I’d say go for it.  Worst case you have to change it to a 2022 so you’re no worse off.

Thanks for the feedback.  We are supposed to go this coming Saturday.  We will talk about deposit, and any deals they might have going on.  I know there isn’t usually many incentives for the super duties.  We were hoping to be able to get what we’d wanted by late May for traveling as well, and some of these posts about the wait times make me wonder if that is even possible.  Thanks again for your help.

On 2/21/2021 at 11:00 AM, crowsnest2002 said:

Thanks for the feedback.  We are supposed to go this coming Saturday.  We will talk about deposit, and any deals they might have going on.  I know there isn’t usually many incentives for the super duties.  We were hoping to be able to get what we’d wanted by late May for traveling as well, and some of these posts about the wait times make me wonder if that is even possible.  Thanks again for your help.

I have zero insider knowledge at all. That being said upfront I have been looking lots of different places for people's experience with ordering a Superduty and this is what it seems to me. The progress for orders has been all over the map. It seemed like things really slowed down for a while there and many who ordered back in December and January are finally getting delivered. Recently it feels like it's been faster. I saw a few ordered in February that people say are already in production. Im sure the mileage varys based on dealer allocation. I would ask the dealer point blank of they have allocation and if they are going to be able to fulfill the order. I have a Superduty on order February 1st but I have no idea the progress because this particular dealer has been hard to get information out of. I do know I already have a VIN and a window sticker but that's about it. I have no idea if I have a production date or not. The tracker just says "in production" with no date. That being said others who ordered around the same time as me have production dates. As I said I have no insider knowledge just thought I would share my experience from looking around the internet for a time frame. Hope it helps just a little. It does feel to me with some February orders in production things are moving a little quicker than they were a month ago. Im sure much has to do with each particular dealer. 

I’m sure your right with it being case by case.  I figured if they didn’t want to attempt the order we are good with that at the other dealer.  Thanks to every one of these posts I know what to ask for when we go Sat.

1. Do you require a deposit

2. Could I have the DoRA when ordered.

3. Looks like final orders are due by Mar 18 according to schedule sub forum with production runs being in April.

4. It takes 33 hours to build one. Fun fact

5. What is the website to track my order?  Asking this so they know I will be checking up to make sure they submitted.

6. Could you adjust my priority code to 10?

anyone else have any good questions to ask?  All help is much appreciated.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, crowsnest2002 said:

I’m sure your right with it being case by case.  I figured if they didn’t want to attempt the order we are good with that at the other dealer.  Thanks to every one of these posts I know what to ask for when we go Sat.

1. Do you require a deposit

2. Could I have the DoRA when ordered.

3. Looks like final orders are due by Mar 18 according to schedule sub forum with production runs being in April.

4. It takes 33 hours to build one. Fun fact

5. What is the website to track my order?  Asking this so they know I will be checking up to make sure they submitted.

6. Could you adjust my priority code to 10?

anyone else have any good questions to ask?  All help is much appreciated.

Once you get your VIN this is where you can track it. Bookmark it for later.

https://shop.ford.com/vehicleordertracking#/

Edited by jkpearson29