Ford Vehicle Ordering & Scheduling Process

In normal times, sure, the system works.

But when we are in this "unprecedented time", the system is flawed, and the policies and procedures that Ford has in place creates a uneven playing field.  What the majority of us were told back in June/July when we first placed our orders isn't remotely close to whats been played out.

Here's the thing, I am just some guy that needs truck, in fact I've needed a truck for months.  I am also a person that's been a Ford guy since before I received my DL.  So what do I do, I go to the smallest dealership in our new area, ones I prefer, and place my order for the model and options I want, give them a deposit and walk away.  As a customer I couldn't tell you how many trucks they've already sold, how many allocations they've used, or what a priority code is.  I just order a truck and expect it to be delivered in the time frame they told me.

Completely agree, the commodity shortages are real and impacting the industry, there's no doubt about that.  But the fact that Ford is still fulfilling orders based on a system that clearly only works during normal times is what most are upset about, myself included.  Most ordering systems today operate on the "first in, first out" model, in fact I'd venture to say every single on line order we make day to day is that way, and if something is back ordered it's most likely "first in, first out" when the inventory supply is available.  And to be completely honest, it's the system we are all accustomed to, even during these "unprecedented times".

But instead, imagine if when you placed an amazon order you order doesn't go though when the item was in sock, because you only spend a $100 a year with them. When your friend next door ordered the exact same thing and got his the next day because he spends $1000 a year with them.  How long do you think that business model would last?  Would you be happy seeing your neighbor using their new special tool, when you need it just as much, if not more, and ordered it month earlier?

The exact thing is happening now with our Ford orders.  My order is a 450 as well, and I recently stopped in at a dealership that had a "retail order" PL (with AS, 5th wheel prep, spray in liner) sitting on their lot.  So the allocation game worked well for them, and now they're selling a $95.5K truck for "well over MSRP" because they can, and the policies and procedures are in place for them to do so. All the while you and I wait for the exact same truck that's nowhere closer to being built today than it was on the day we wrote our deposit checks.

Do you honestly think, we as the customers and end user of the Ford product should've needed to put into account what our dealerships allocations and allotments are?  When I selected our dealership, it was based on their treatment of me and the time they took to answer questions and establish a respectful working relationship, NOT a forensic audit of their financial balance sheet, awarded allotments and allocations. 

This was Ford's second chance with me after a major issue with a brand new special order 2011 F-350.  When the dealership opens this morning I am calling to cancel my order with them.  I am also not naive to think this action will result in any change, Ford doesn't even know I exist and could care less if I drive home in their truck or not, they've made that abundantly clear these past several months.  Today's executives at Ford only care about one thing, and that's making sure the Shareholders are happy, which in turn means the Board of Directors are happy, which in turn means they"ll all get their annual bonuses.  The days of Ford executives caring about their vehicle owners is long gone, that was made clear to me in 2010 and yet again today.

I honestly wish everyone the best of luck with their unfulfilled orders, and I absolutely wish no ill will towards anyone who might read this that's associated with Ford.

Edited by TW720HVY
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, TW720HVY said:

In normal times, sure, the system works.

But when we are in this "unprecedented time", the system is flawed, and the policies and procedures that Ford has in place creates a uneven playing field.  What the majority of us were told back in June/July when we first placed our orders isn't remotely close to whats been played out.

Here's the thing, I am just some guy that needs truck, in fact I've needed a truck for months.  I am also a person that's been a Ford guy since before I received my DL.  So what do I do, I go to the smallest dealership in our new area, ones I prefer, and place my order for the model and options I want, give them a deposit and walk away.  As a customer I couldn't tell you how many trucks they've already sold, how many allocations they've used, or what a priority code is.  I just order a truck and expect it to be delivered in the time frame they told me.

Completely agree, the commodity shortages are real and impacting the industry, there's no doubt about that.  But the fact that Ford is still fulfilling orders based on a system that clearly only works during normal times is what most are upset about, myself included.  Most ordering systems today operate on the "first in, first out" model, in fact I'd venture to say every single on line order we make day to day is that way, and if something is back ordered it's most likely "first in, first out" when the inventory supply is available.  And to be completely honest, it's the system we are all accustomed to, even during these "unprecedented times".

But instead, imagine if when you placed an amazon order you order doesn't go though when the item was in sock, because you only spend a $100 a year with them. When your friend next door ordered the exact same thing and got his the next day because he spends $1000 a year with them.  How long do you think that business model would last?  Would you be happy seeing your neighbor using their new special tool, when you need it just as much, if not more, and ordered it month earlier?

The exact thing is happening now with our Ford orders.  My order is a 450 as well, and I recently stopped in at a dealership that had a "retail order" PL (with AS, 5th wheel prep, spray in liner) sitting on their lot.  So the allocation game worked well for them, and now they're selling a $95.5K truck for "well over MSRP" because they can, and the policies and procedures are in place for them to do so. All the while you and I wait for the exact same truck that's nowhere closer to being built today than it was on the day we wrote our deposit checks.

Do you honestly think, we as the customers and end user of the Ford product should've needed to put into account what our dealerships allocations and allotments are?  When I selected our dealership, it was based on their treatment of me and the time they took to answer questions and establish a respectful working relationship, NOT a forensic audit of their financial balance sheet, awarded allotments and allocations. 

This was Ford's second chance with me after a major issue with a brand new special order 2011 F-350.  When the dealership opens this morning I am calling to cancel my order with them.  I am also not naive to think this action will result in any change, Ford doesn't even know I exist and could care less if I drive home in their truck or not, they've made that abundantly clear these past several months.  Today's executives at Ford only care about one thing, and that's making sure the Shareholders are happy, which in turn means the Board of Directors are happy, which in turn means they"ll all get their annual bonuses.  The days of Ford executives caring about their vehicle owners is long gone, that was made clear to me in 2010 and yet again today.

I honestly wish everyone the best of luck with their unfulfilled orders, and I absolutely wish no ill will towards anyone who might read this that's associated with Ford.

Your entire rant is based on the normal dealer allocation process.  But that’s out the window with COVP.  If a small dealer has 5 verified orders they get 5 allocations.  This is strictly a parts issue at this point unless your dealer is playing games with your priority.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, akirby said:

Your entire rant is based on the normal dealer allocation process.  But that’s out the window with COVP.  If a small dealer has 5 verified orders they get 5 allocations.  This is strictly a parts issue at this point unless your dealer is playing games with your priority.

I think COVP is part of the problem.  The idea is good but the execution is severely flawed.

• It splits the orders into two camps (verified or not verified) and may well be the cause of some of the later orders getting fulfilled before the earlier orders, breaking the first-in-first-out flow.  
  • Customers have no way to know whether their order was properly COVP verified by their dealer.  Ford should fix the e-mail notification system so it works 100% of the time, and send meaningful messages such as "Your order has been COVP verified."
  • Many dealers don't seem to understand COVP.  It's not an isolated issue... perhaps Ford has created a system that is too confusing.  Is it more realistic that there are THIS MANY "stupid" dealerships, or maybe the system just isn't designed idiot-proof enough?
  • Orders don't show up on  Ford.com under "My Orders and Reservations", even though they are associated with the customer's e-mail address per COVP.  EASY FIX...
  • Then you have people who get frustrated and place a second order with a different dealership, defeating the very thing that COVP should be protecting; that every order has a verified customer.  People with duplicate orders are going to abandon whichever does not arrive first, thus wasting commodities and assembly line time that could have gone towards someone who was actually waiting for their vehicle.

27 minutes ago, Forderorder said:

I think COVP is part of the problem.  The idea is good but the execution is severely flawed.

• It splits the orders into two camps (verified or not verified) and may well be the cause of some of the later orders getting fulfilled before the earlier orders, breaking the first-in-first-out flow.  
  • Customers have no way to know whether their order was properly COVP verified by their dealer.  Ford should fix the e-mail notification system so it works 100% of the time, and send meaningful messages such as "Your order has been COVP verified."
  • Many dealers don't seem to understand COVP.  It's not an isolated issue... perhaps Ford has created a system that is too confusing.  Is it more realistic that there are THIS MANY "stupid" dealerships, or maybe the system just isn't designed idiot-proof enough?
  • Orders don't show up on  Ford.com under "My Orders and Reservations", even though they are associated with the customer's e-mail address per COVP.  EASY FIX...
  • Then you have people who get frustrated and place a second order with a different dealership, defeating the very thing that COVP should be protecting; that every order has a verified customer.  People with duplicate orders are going to abandon whichever does not arrive first, thus wasting commodities and assembly line time that could have gone towards someone who was actually waiting for their vehicle.

COVP is not causing those issues.  EVERY customer order should be COVP.  Yes, there are many stupid dealers who don’t understand or just don’t want to bother with the process.  Ice-capades has shown what has to be done.  It literally takes 2 minutes to put in a customer’s email address and fill out the form.  No excuse for not doing it.  

COVP doesn’t dictate build order.  That is dictated STRICTLY by priority.  A non COVP priority 10 will always get built before a COVP priority 11 assuming there are enough parts for both.  What COVP does is if the dealer has 2 COVP orders but no normal allocation, Ford gives the dealer 2 more allocations so the COVP orders can be built.  

Yes there are technical issues with notifications but the systems were working pretty well before the parts shortages and it seems to have affected super duties more than others.    If Ford was able to build trucks in 6-8 weeks like normal it would probably work fine.  But yes Ford dropped the ball here.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TW720HVY said:

With respect to first in, first out. If Ford stuck to this adage, with current commodity shortages and shipping delays, the production line would be starting and stopping continuously. When my order was next up at my dealer, they had no DRW boxes or 19.5" wheels, so they couldn't built my truck. If Ford stuck to your first in, first out model, the production line would have shut down waiting for the components for my truck, when it was due to be next out.

As the moderators have explained many times, dealers receive additional allocations for "Retail Orders" submitted under the COVP. If the dealer had a retail order (green WS) sitting on the lot, it must have been refused by the customer that ordered it. As a retail order, it was an addition to the dealer's allocations. With the number of options and trim levels available, I highly doubt that other than being a F-450 that it was the exact same truck as mine. Ford buils 7K to 8K SD's a week and a suspect that very few of them are exactly identical.

My dealer was totally up front with the potential for delays, advising a wait of at least 5 to 6 months. I knew about the wait when I ordered and while I had hoped for sooner, realistically I expected the truck to arrive Feb to April 2022. Just waiting patiently, as life is way too short to be upset over waiting for a new truck.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, akirby said:

EVERY customer order should be COVP.  

I agree, but apparently this is not the case if you order a Raptor, unless something has changed.  I’m still waiting on allocation for my order I placed in early October. 

My wife complains about the ride every time we are driving my 22 CC F250, so I really need them to get the Raptor built so I can get the F250 traded in to solve that problem?

37 minutes ago, akirby said:

EVERY customer order should be COVP.  Yes, there are many stupid dealers who don’t understand or just don’t want to bother with the process.

It seems like we are in agreement.  Yes should be, but nonetheless some are and some are not, resulting in different experiences for different customers.

Ice-capades has shown what has to be done.  It literally takes 2 minutes to put in a customer’s email address and fill out the form.  No excuse for not doing it.  

I believe there is more:  The dealer also has to have the customer sign a buyers order, provide photo ID, scan these things in, and submit them to Ford.  Then someone at Ford has to review them and manually approve/deny COVP status.  Lastly an e-mail is sent back to the dealership to indicate "COVP claim status".

COVP doesn’t dictate build order.  That is dictated STRICTLY by priority.  A non COVP priority 10 will always get built before a COVP priority 11 assuming there are enough parts for both.  What COVP does is if the dealer has 2 COVP orders but no normal allocation, Ford gives the dealer 2 more allocations so the COVP orders can be built.  

Thanks for explaining that, I was unsure how priority would play out in a scenario like that.  

I would believe what you are telling me when those people waiting are waiting for platinums fully loaded and the success stories with short builds are KR or Plats fully loading with the so called hold up items. I do however believe to a point on what you are saying about dealer allocations and what not. I am not new to how larger dealers get more allocations and quicker builds when it comes to special orders, but those dealers can't be so large to consume 90% of production line and squeeze out little guy mid west.

2 hours ago, tbone said:

I agree, but apparently this is not the case if you order a Raptor, unless something has changed.  I’m still waiting on allocation for my order I placed in early October. 

I believe Raptors have their own allocation formula being a Ford Performance model.

1 hour ago, J4thclass said:

I would believe what you are telling me when those people waiting are waiting for platinums fully loaded and the success stories with short builds are KR or Plats fully loading with the so called hold up items. I do however believe to a point on what you are saying about dealer allocations and what not. I am not new to how larger dealers get more allocations and quicker builds when it comes to special orders, but those dealers can't be so large to consume 90% of production line and squeeze out little guy mid west.

That’s exactly why they enacted COVP - to keep the larger dealers from hogging allocation and allowing smaller dealer special orders to get built faster.

As for “hold up items” they’re only publishing the big ones.  On any given week any part might get shorted.  Zaxbys ran out of boneless wings one day.  Shit happens.  A lot these days.  All it takes is one missing truck driver.

Maybe Ford is favoring higher trims when parts are limited, maybe not.  Either way the delay is because of a parts shortage.  And there is no way that two trucks you randomly see on the internet are EXACTLY the same given all the different parts, options and color combinations.

It doesn’t mean there is a conspiracy just because you’re frustrated.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, J4thclass said:

I am one of the ones waiting and it is a KR Ultimate.

While it is a small sample of trucks on order, a couple of months ago I did a comparison of trim levels scheduled, using the spreadsheets on FTE. The XL & XLT trim levels had a higher percentage of trucks selected for scheduling than the percentage of them that were ordered. A quick look at the scheduled tab on the unscheduled file shows a higher number of XL & XLT's than are on the unscheduled list. Of the long timers outstanding, the outstang XL & XLT's are either F-450's or Fleet orders.

Certainly isn't a scientific study, but based on the entries in the FTE spreadsheets, the lower trim levels had a higher percentage of being scheduled.

I went into a dearlership on December 3d or 4th and placed a special order - after inquiring about no confirmation email the order was confirmed on December 14th.  Now I am concerned with interest rates going up on a $75k truck and no body can even say when I’ll get a VIN.  Rates are going to pop up each qtr over the next year.  Right now it’s a pretty good deal at under 3% but in April or June not such a tempting deal at 4.5 or better.  I can get a 2500 Ram with all the bells and whistles for less than the F250 Lariat at the current interest rates.  Dodge did a voluntary recall on all cp4 pumps while Ford is denying warranty claims??  And, when I call marketing to check on VIN they tell me nothing and offer incentives that would ease the price of waiting.  I have already traded my truck and the dealership is holding a 16.5k check after payoff towards this mystery truck I’m special ordering.  Now, with all the drama with trashed fuel systems from substandard fuels sold at US gas stations and that fender rust which pops up almost like clock work at 4 years (I’ve been a loyal Super Duty buyer for some time now), it’s hard to ride for the brand.  So I am posting this to see what kind of feedback I get?  

I placed an order in early December that really didn’t take till I went to the dealer and inquired why no confirmation email - and I can’t get a VIN 4 weeks later.  I also traded my truck in at thousands less than it would be later sold at, putting 16.5k down on this special order.  As of today, it is looking like interest rates are getting ready to go up each quarter and I’m considering RAM 2500 now.  They have a loaded option on lot at current rates - it would be nice if Ford would give us an incentive for being loyal - or else I may not be the only one to jump ship - posting this to see what feed back, if any, I’ll get??

On 1/11/2022 at 1:20 PM, akirby said:

That’s exactly why they enacted COVP - to keep the larger dealers from hogging allocation and allowing smaller dealer special orders to get built faster.

As for “hold up items” they’re only publishing the big ones.  On any given week any part might get shorted.  Zaxbys ran out of boneless wings one day.  Shit happens.  A lot these days.  All it takes is one missing truck driver.

Maybe Ford is favoring higher trims when parts are limited, maybe not.  Either way the delay is because of a parts shortage.  And there is no way that two trucks you randomly see on the internet are EXACTLY the same given all the different parts, options and color combinations.

It doesn’t mean there is a conspiracy just because you’re frustrated.

Any idea when Zaxby's will be producing boneless wings again?

Would I be more likely to have my order filled if I removed "teriyaki" sauce and substituted "BBQ" instead? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, B.Rocket said:

Any idea when Zaxby's will be producing boneless wings again?

Would I be more likely to have my order filled if I removed "teriyaki" sauce and substituted "BBQ" instead? 

That is an absolutely awful analogy. It doesn't take thousands of individual parts to make a single chicken wing. Not to mention any one of hundreds of those parts missing can cause entire systems to not function. 

Can't build what we don't have parts for, it's as simple as that.  If you don't like it that's a you problem. Go to any other brand, chances are they have the same issue. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

That is an absolutely awful analogy. It doesn't take thousands of individual parts to make a single chicken wing. Not to mention any one of hundreds of those parts missing can cause entire systems to not function. 

Can't build what we don't have parts for, it's as simple as that.  If you don't like it that's a you problem. Go to any other brand, chances are they have the same issue. 

Pretty sure he was just making fun of what’s happening with super duty orders and people having to delete options, etc.

The point of that analogy was just to show that supply chain issues are affecting everything and almost all of it is beyond Ford’s control.

1 hour ago, akirby said:

Pretty sure he was just making fun of what’s happening with super duty orders and people having to delete options, etc.

The point of that analogy was just to show that supply chain issues are affecting everything and almost all of it is beyond Ford’s control.

You’re probably right. I saw the comment and any sarcasm went right through me. I guess you can say it triggered me ?

On 1/7/2022 at 12:54 PM, bhidalgo63 said:

Hey all - I'm at 175 days since the order for my F-350 was submitted back in June. I got the VIN a month or so later, but the build was pushed 6 times. The truck finally went into "In Production" status last Thursday, 12/9/2021, according to the info I got from the dealer.  Fast forward --- Went to the dealer today to get a status update since it's been a week and rumor has it that it should be built by now. The dealer gives me the Navy Airman Salute and says it's still in production and I can't tell you anything else.  I do not buy it. Sorry. Not being a jerk about it but there has to be some kind of status update I can get from somewhere. Can someone tell me how to get a current status on the build of my truck? I have heard the plant in KY shuts down for 2 or 3 weeks later this month and if the truck is not built and on the rails headed to me before they shut down that I will be waiting well into January for the truck.  I need to make plans based on when I can reasonably expect the truck to show up.

Thanks - a retired Navy Chief just looking for answers...

Update January 7th, 2022

My truck was shipped to CSX Baldwin rail yard and arrived on December 27th.

The rail car has since been unloaded but now I cannot get any further updates from CSX.

Dealer is not cooperating - says Ford has not been updating tracker.

ETA for delivery is scheduled for Thursday, January 13th. 

What do you think the chances are that I will get the truck delivered on time? It has been on order since June 25, 2021.

Any way for me to get a current update on the status?

Thanks.

Was it a retail or fleet order?

28 minutes ago, Nikolaiss said:

I am really new to this forum/site. Can you please tell me what is the latest and greatest with the hold ups. I ordered a 2022 F450 Platinum on July , 2021 and have heard nothing other than the confirmation email before I left the dealer. Thanks so much in advance!

Go look at the 3 or 4 hot topics in the super duty forum.  It’s all in there.

• Like 1