Ford Vehicle Ordering & Scheduling Process

On 6/8/2021 at 2:50 AM, ice-capades said:

Verified orders will receive priority scheduling and will receive incremental allocation

Priority over what? If all retail orders are now COVP aren't we all back in one giant line again? Other than commodity restraints, what pushes orders ahead or behind in the queue? I understand the theory of how this program works, but the practice of it seems off. Is it just the ongoing supply/labor/WWIII problems are preventing the order/schedule/produce/deliver cycle from operating smoothly? 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, thekingprawn said:

Priority over what? If all retail orders are now COVP aren't we all back in one giant line again? Other than commodity restraints, what pushes orders ahead or behind in the queue? I understand the theory of how this program works, but the practice of it seems off. Is it just the ongoing supply/labor/WWIII problems are preventing the order/schedule/produce/deliver cycle from operating smoothly? 

I’m not an expert but priority over dealer stock orders. In normal conditions retail orders and dealer inventory orders are intermixed, now the backlog on SD’s is high enough only retail customer trucks will be scheduled. 

2 hours ago, HTownHog said:

I’m not an expert but priority over dealer stock orders. In normal conditions retail orders and dealer inventory orders are intermixed, now the backlog on SD’s is high enough only retail customer trucks will be scheduled. 

The concern I'm having is retail orders not getting scheduled for months on a line that is producing 75% or more dealer stock. 

2 hours ago, HTownHog said:

Actually they’re not intermixed if the dealer sets the priority correctly.  That’s why retail is 10-19 and stock is 20+.  Retail orders normally get built before stock orders.

The point is valid - there are so many backlogged retail orders that even if you’re a priority 2 there are probably several hundred (if not thousands of) trucks ahead of you in queue.

25 minutes ago, thekingprawn said:

The concern I'm having is retail orders not getting scheduled for months on a line that is producing 75% or more dealer stock. 

The only way stock orders are being produced is if retail orders can’t be built due to parts shortages.

14 minutes ago, akirby said:

The only way stock orders are being produced is if retail orders can’t be built due to parts shortages.

Long McArthur guy said a couple of weeks ago when the Feb sales report came out that only 23% of Bronco Sport sales were retail orders and that production was caught up. Ford sent emails to order holders late last week (I posted about it in the ordering section) reminding them they haven't been forgotten. Most of those who received the emails have orders from Nov/Dec of last year with a smattering of folks with newer orders. 

19 minutes ago, thekingprawn said:

Long McArthur guy said a couple of weeks ago when the Feb sales report came out that only 23% of Bronco Sport sales were retail orders and that production was caught up. Ford sent emails to order holders late last week (I posted about it in the ordering section) reminding them they haven't been forgotten. Most of those who received the emails have orders from Nov/Dec of last year with a smattering of folks with newer orders. 

I was speaking specifically about super duties.  Other vehicles are not impacted as badly.

Some of those “stock” sales were due to people backing out of orders over ADMs or long waits.  Hybrids can’t all be built at once and there are still microchip and other parts delays.  Mavericks are in the same boat.

Sometimes Ford does special allocations like Bronco where 50% of builds were allocated to dealer stock favoring areas where Wrangler sales were strong.  They might be doing something similar with Bronco Sport.  Otherwise it’s a parts issue.

15 minutes ago, akirby said:

I was speaking specifically about super duties.  Other vehicles are not impacted as badly.

Some of those “stock” sales were due to people backing out of orders over ADMs or long waits.  Hybrids can’t all be built at once and there are still microchip and other parts delays.  Mavericks are in the same boat.

Sometimes Ford does special allocations like Bronco where 50% of builds were allocated to dealer stock favoring areas where Wrangler sales were strong.  They might be doing something similar with Bronco Sport.  Otherwise it’s a parts issue.

Good data, thanks. I'll have to find another topic to hyperfocus on before I drive my dealer insane.

On 3/21/2022 at 8:57 AM, akirby said:

The point is valid - there are so many backlogged retail orders that even if you’re a priority 2 there are probably several hundred (if not thousands of) trucks ahead of you in queue.

By way of exemplifying this, I've got a priority 01 order on my 2022 (seriously), and a mid-October order date. I've seen my build date get pushed back from MP1 in February to April 3 (currently). I expect it to get pushed back again. My dealer is receiving stock orders ahead of me, though! It's nothing nefarious, though -- they're simply not Platinum. Once we can build massage seats with auto stop-stop again, I suppose mine will be the first Platinum that hits my dealership.

(I'm afraid to ask why they requested Priority 01, though. I don't want them to think they made a mistake and change it.)

24 minutes ago, balthisar said:

By way of exemplifying this, I've got a priority 01 order on my 2022 (seriously), and a mid-October order date. I've seen my build date get pushed back from MP1 in February to April 3 (currently). I expect it to get pushed back again. My dealer is receiving stock orders ahead of me, though! It's nothing nefarious, though -- they're simply not Platinum. Once we can build massage seats with auto stop-stop again, I suppose mine will be the first Platinum that hits my dealership.

(I'm afraid to ask why they requested Priority 01, though. I don't want them to think they made a mistake and change it.)

Once you get a build date priority doesn’t matter so ignore that.  At this point it’s strictly a parts issue.

That does point out a reason for priority 2 orders not being scheduled - there is already a backlog of scheduled builds waiting for parts at the factory.

51 minutes ago, balthisar said:

Priority code 01 is the best you can get and is assigned either at the Ford regional office or Dearborn. The Dealer has nothing to do with it and can't change it. More importantly, the priority code doesn't matter as once the order is scheduled, the priority code has no function, as akirby stated. 

Edited by ice-capades
Additional Content

5 hours ago, ice-capades said:

Priority code 01 is the best you can get and is assigned either at the Ford regional office or Dearborn. The Dealer has nothing to do with it and can't change it.

I get that; I assumed they requested it, though. I don't think there's anyone in scheduling looking for my name to do  me any favors.

Bonus: Visibility says I'm in production, and my date is moved ahead. So, can't wait!

With all these delays, might be the last Ford I order or buy. Ordered a Mach 1 on 11/01, no VIN no build date as of of 3/24, ended up buying a 2021 in Jan. Have a 2018 F-150, new models are 8 months out and/or delayed further. 2017 Lincoln MKZ, no more sedans from Ford. Ordered the wife a 2022 GT Premium convertible on 10/12, no VIN no build date as of 3/24, bought her a 2021 in Feb that had some, but not all, the options she wanted. If this is Ford's new buying experience, thanks but no thanks, going elsewhere next time. I'm done!

1 hour ago, jfraser8345 said:

With all these delays, might be the last Ford I order or buy. Ordered a Mach 1 on 11/01, no VIN no build date as of of 3/24, ended up buying a 2021 in Jan. Have a 2018 F-150, new models are 8 months out and/or delayed further. 2017 Lincoln MKZ, no more sedans from Ford. Ordered the wife a 2022 GT Premium convertible on 10/12, no VIN no build date as of 3/24, bought her a 2021 in Feb that had some, but not all, the options she wanted. If this is Ford's new buying experience, thanks but no thanks, going elsewhere next time. I'm done!

You think Ford is the only one with this problem?  You’re sadly mistaken.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/24/2022 at 11:05 PM, akirby said:

You think Ford is the only one with this problem?  You’re sadly mistaken.

Agreed!!!!  It’s across the board, period.  We have 5 John Deere sprayers that were due to hit the ground first week of February.  Thursday we were notified they are waiting on wiring harnesses and controllers.  June at the earliest now.  Glad we denied the dealer taking our trade in units!!!!!  They are all sold but we’re still running them.  Everyone is in the same boat with this mess.  People have to exercise patience because that is our only option at this point other than pass completely on new and run whatcha have but even then it’s a good possibility to wait on any repairs that arise.  Is what it is at this point

• Like 2

And they are cutting features left and right as well. Ford has seemed more likely to delay orders for a time vs delivering a sub-par vehicle. Now they are having no choice except to cut features! Though at least Ford is trying to do ones they can add later. 

On 4/2/2022 at 7:11 PM, MedTJ3 said:

I see GM and Ram HDs every day.

19 minutes ago, jflottawa said:

The dealer can't go greater than 10, right?

I got mine upgraded to a 10 last week, but now from what I understand it's time to wait to see when Ford schedules next!

The greater (higher) the number, the longer it will take to schedule.  A lower number is what you should be seeking.

17 minutes ago, jflottawa said:

The dealer can't go greater than 10, right?

I got mine upgraded to a 10 last week, but now from what I understand it's time to wait to see when Ford schedules next!

Congratulations on having a Dealer that changed your priority code to 10. Depending on how old your order is, the vehicle specifications and how many orders the dealership has ahead of you, the next step would require your Dealer to contact their Ford Zone Manager about getting the Ford regional office to change your priority code to either 01 or 02.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Forderorder said:

The greater (higher) the number, the longer it will take to schedule.  A lower number is what you should be seeking.

Yep, I meant greater priority, not literal greater number, thanks! (I know what "priority #1" means - I work in software) ?

16 minutes ago, ice-capades said:

Congratulations on having a Dealer that changed your priority code to 10. Depending on how old your order is, the vehicle specifications and how many orders the dealership has ahead of you, the next step would require your Dealer to contact their Ford Zone Manager about getting the Ford regional office to change your priority code to either 01 or 02.

Thanks @ice-capades - I definitely don't fall in the "it's been a long time" category... I'm more in the "holy crap I'm so anxious my head is going to explode" category. So I'll just suck it up, like everyone else!!