Ford Vehicle Ordering & Scheduling Process

5 hours ago, traveldawg said:

yeah..... um....  NO!   I got a VIN in January and a build date of early March (it's so long ago I forget the exact date).   Guess where my truck is now?......  here is a hint....  not started yet...  now it will (supposedly, according to Ford) be built starting June 9th....   

still waiting on a KRU, SRW, LB, 4x4 with ALL options....    I'm thinking that waiting for a ride to the moon would be more promising.....

Um….yes.  You got the vin in January when your build was scheduled.  It was scheduled for March but it was scheduled IN January.  Just because it was later pushed out doesn’t change the scheduling process.

I think just some confusion between initially scheduled to build date, and when it actually gets built due to various delays. I'm good just knowing it got scheduled for this year. I was scared it was going to get rolled over to 2023. Realized I got the month numbers wrong, and it's likely late July for production, plus whatever delays.

On 5/18/2022 at 4:43 PM, akirby said:

Um….yes.  You got the vin in January when your build was scheduled.  It was scheduled for March but it was scheduled IN January.  Just because it was later pushed out doesn’t change the scheduling process.

I guess I find the "scheduling process" confusing.  I suppose it is the idea that something can be scheduled but then not built when scheduled, and then re-scheduled - time after time after time. 

Why schedule something you can't do?   Why keep repeating that process?  Why not wait until something is certain and then schedule it?  Can't someone figure out that something can't be built and, therefore, not schedule it?

Sure - all kinds of reasons for delays, etc.  But the idea that someone has a schedule and all it does is slip seems sort of silly.  

I'd rather find out 2 days ahead of time that something is scheduled and have it actually happen than repeatedly make empty promises weeks (or months) ahead of time only to fail.  It sort of make the person/industry/company doing the scheduling look pretty dull. 

I can't think of any other industry or manufacturer that would do that.   Well... maybe the government....

17 minutes ago, traveldawg said:

I guess I find the "scheduling process" confusing.  I suppose it is the idea that something can be scheduled but then not built when scheduled, and then re-scheduled - time after time after time. 

Why schedule something you can't do?   Why keep repeating that process?  Why not wait until something is certain and then schedule it?  Can't someone figure out that something can't be built and, therefore, not schedule it?

Sure - all kinds of reasons for delays, etc.  But the idea that someone has a schedule and all it does is slip seems sort of silly.  

I'd rather find out 2 days ahead of time that something is scheduled and have it actually happen than repeatedly make empty promises weeks (or months) ahead of time only to fail.  It sort of make the person/industry/company doing the scheduling look pretty dull. 

I can't think of any other industry or manufacturer that would do that.   Well... maybe the government....

Most custom manufacturing, software companies, etc. It’s not as simple as taking something out of a box and putting it on a shelf. 

they project based on projections. Thinking that the process can be simplified is naive. They could not update anyone and just call them when their order arrives but they provide up-to-the-minute updates, which I appreciate. If it pains you, unsubscribe and wait for your dealer to call you when your truck arrives. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, jflottawa said:

Most custom manufacturing, software companies, etc. It’s not as simple as taking something out of a box and putting it on a shelf. 

they project based on projections. Thinking that the process can be simplified is naive. They could not update anyone and just call them when their order arrives but they provide up-to-the-minute updates, which I appreciate. If it pains you, unsubscribe and wait for your dealer to call you when your truck arrives. 

I am not being naive.  And, while frustrated at all this, will continue to monitor my order and hope for the best.  However, I remain frustrated and confused that Ford can't do a better job of managing their ability to tell folks what will be built and when without stringing us along.

I worked for decades delivering very large and complex projects of both hardware and software.  I can't think of a single time I had to continually go back to a customer and keep slipping a delivery date over and over again.  Did those delivery dates slip sometime?  Sure, of course.  But if I didn't have a product available did I keep telling the client a new date or did I step up and tell them I didn't know and things were beyond my control?   I did the later.  Then we could sit and discuss what to do next.

Ford doesn't work that way.  I get it.  But it is a simple matter for them to determine whether they have sufficient supplies on hand to build a product and then set a date it can be built and delivered.

Instead they hope for the best while string folks along. Then make it sound like they do us a favor continuing to delay things, thus keeping our hopes up and their backlog strong for financial statements.   And then (aka: multi contour seat delete now taking place) they continue to tell us it is good for us that we are getting a product although it does not meet all our criteria (what we ordered) while hoping we will not drop our orders.

I recognize it is a complex world.  But compare this to the way a company like Tesla works.  You wait a long time there, you get a date, you get what you ordered.  All while managing the exact same problems the other auto manufacturers are faced with.

I happen to agree. There's nothing worse than sitting at home on a Saturday night, and getting yet another email stating that the production week for my vehicle has changed. It is Friday night tonight, and I received one at 8:00 p.m. . So Thursday isn't even really a scheduling day anymore. I thought I survived this Thurday's scheduling cuts only to be disappointed by the email around 8:00pm Friday. I don't understand how far in advance they can schedule based on the parts that they have today. Perhaps they are anticipating the parts, which never arrive, and then everyone gets bumped another week. So just exactly when are these parts in hand necessary to complete a vehicle? Is it decided this Thursday that there's enough parts to build cars beginning Monday? These are rhetorical questions, and I don't expect anyone to really know the answer. I am patient, and I don't even mind a model year 2023, but I would like to know the likelihood of it actually getting built this year. 

In the past, most purchases were off the lot and the very few custom orders were easy to manage and “slide in at a higher priority “. 

I’m in Canada, I don’t get an email at every change.  I got notified by my sales manager that my scheduled week is 6/13. As far as I know that’s where it sits. It could change 3 times till then and I wouldn’t know cause Ford Canada doesn’t send us Canucks updates every time tbe make a change  

maybe that’s the best option is turn off email updates and let everyone blindly hope that they’re getting their truck. Tell dealers to tell customer that at this time they’re looking at 6-8 months in most cases. Done deal - we’ll call you when it arrives. 

then nobody needs to worry about Thursday or Friday or Saturday emails ?

In reality, my dealer did tell me it would be 4 months. I ordered it on 4/1 and I know there have been others waiting much longer than I. But my scheduling dates have gone from May 6th, 13th, 20th, 27th, June 6th, June 13, and now June 20th. My dealer was probably correct that it would be at least 4 months., Which puts me at August. Like I said, I don't mind a 2023 model year, but it helps me plan if I have a realistic expectation of when it might be built. In these times, I totally understand the shortage, and it probably does not seem like I have room to complain since I am only a month and a half into it. I'm not mad at all, I'm totally over excited about my new vehicle. And I'm going to stay excited until the day I'm driving it away. That is why I prefer to be in the loop, directly from Ford on any changes to the schedule. My dealer is fine, but I like to be independently involved as this is a huge purchase for me.

• Like 1

It’s really simple - Ford and most other large mfrs do just in time inventory.  So they’re expecting to have all your parts 4 weeks from now, but in between some part doesn’t show up.  One week it was wiper motors,  could be anything,  the supplier says you’ll have them but they do t show up.  Multiply that by 37 and you see why it’s a problem.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, akirby said:

It’s really simple - Ford and most other large mfrs do just in time inventory.  So they’re expecting to have all your parts 4 weeks from now, but in between some part doesn’t show up.  One week it was wiper motors,  could be anything,  the supplier says you’ll have them but they do t show up.  Multiply that by 37 and you see why it’s a problem.

I tried…

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MyGreatEscape said:

I am patient, and I don't even mind a model year 2023, but I would like to know the likelihood of it actually getting built this year. 

You have a VIN and a scheduled build date so I’d say it’s very likely that your truck will get built this year.  And it’s very, very likely it will be built before thousands of other orders that are older than yours.  Hope you don’t get bumped again.  Hang in there.

Well, I can't help but post tonight's update. Ford now has me for June 27th. Another Saturday night email. Worse though is it took them last night and tonight to bump me 2 weeks. Why not just one email bumping me 2 weeks instead of 2 emails one week at a time. It is almost funny, but a little sad.

14 hours ago, MyGreatEscape said:

Well, I can't help but post tonight's update. Ford now has me for June 27th. Another Saturday night email. Worse though is it took them last night and tonight to bump me 2 weeks. Why not just one email bumping me 2 weeks instead of 2 emails one week at a time. It is almost funny, but a little sad.

Did they just batch placeholder-schedule a bunch of Escape Hybrids?  Seems that our orders are scheduled in name only.  Either that, or they keep thinking they'll be able to build hybrids but end up short on parts.  My order was bumped up to priority code 02 mid-April and "scheduled" that week but it seems that doesn't mean much.  Also, my scheduling history seems to mirror yours quite closely.  The firsts bump came the same day it was scheduled, and this weekend saw 2 bumps, so that averages out to exactly 1 bump of 1 week every single week starting with the initial scheduling day.  I'm starting to wonder if it'll ever get built as a MY 2022 at all at this right.

Ordered early January

April 14 11am - scheduled for May 16

April 14 8p - delayed to May 23

April 21 - delayed to May 30

May 6 - delayed to June 6

May 13 - delayed to June 13

May 20 - delayed to June 20

May 21 - delayed to June 27

Edited by j2sys

Our schedules do appear to mirror each other  almost exactly. Someone else on here has a PHEV, but mine is just for the hybrid. The plant is closed for 2 weeks in July. If we get bumped one more time, then it would seem to be all the way to July 18th. At some point they switch over to the new model year, which I think is in August. All I can say is that if we are bumped to the 2023 year model, there is a refresh of the Escape that is giving the front end a more aggressive look. Which I am okay with. Still, it would be nice to know when to plan for the vehicle.

On 5/20/2022 at 9:46 PM, akirby said:

I have to agree.  Just in time inventory these days has to be a challenge.  Sorry if I let my frustration creep in here.   I'm just really anxious to get a long bed and try out a different fifth wheel towing arrangement.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MyGreatEscape said:

Our schedules do appear to mirror each other almost exactly. Someone else on here has a PHEV, but mine is just for the hybrid. The plant is closed for 2 weeks in July. If we get bumped one more time, then it would seem to be all the way to July 18th. At some point they switch over to the new model year, which I think is in August. All I can say is that if we are bumped to the 2023 year model, there is a refresh of the Escape that is giving the front end a more aggressive look. Which I am okay with. Still, it would be nice to know when to plan for the vehicle.

Ford has not yet released the schedule for the 2023MY Escape. 

On 5/20/2022 at 2:03 PM, traveldawg said:

I am not being naive.  And, while frustrated at all this, will continue to monitor my order and hope for the best.  However, I remain frustrated and confused that Ford can't do a better job of managing their ability to tell folks what will be built and when without stringing us along.

I worked for decades delivering very large and complex projects of both hardware and software.  I can't think of a single time I had to continually go back to a customer and keep slipping a delivery date over and over again.  Did those delivery dates slip sometime?  Sure, of course.  But if I didn't have a product available did I keep telling the client a new date or did I step up and tell them I didn't know and things were beyond my control?   I did the later.  Then we could sit and discuss what to do next.

Ford doesn't work that way.  I get it.  But it is a simple matter for them to determine whether they have sufficient supplies on hand to build a product and then set a date it can be built and delivered.

Instead they hope for the best while string folks along. Then make it sound like they do us a favor continuing to delay things, thus keeping our hopes up and their backlog strong for financial statements.   And then (aka: multi contour seat delete now taking place) they continue to tell us it is good for us that we are getting a product although it does not meet all our criteria (what we ordered) while hoping we will not drop our orders.

I recognize it is a complex world.  But compare this to the way a company like Tesla works.  You wait a long time there, you get a date, you get what you ordered.  All while managing the exact same problems the other auto manufacturers are faced with.

Clearly you didn't experience many supply issues on your projects.

Having also managed manufacturing projects with occasional supply chain issues, I can definitely relate to the issues currently being experienced. It's a new world out there and I'm sure glad I'm retired, as daily supply chain issues with 37 vendors is a nightmare for any project manager.

I waited 8 + months for my truck and in the current climate I have no complaints, as my dealer kept me fully informed.

• Like 3

On 5/20/2022 at 9:26 PM, jflottawa said:

As it is for me, but we don’t have a choice in Canada. The dealer is the only option we have for updates… 

I'm in Ontario as well and used the Ford vehicle order tracking site as posted in the Explorer forum. I found the info pretty accurate and within a week (early) of actual delivery by truck from Chicago to Dutton. Try your luck.

https://www.ford.com/support/how-tos/search/track my vehicle order/

51 minutes ago, ohsown said:

I'm in Ontario as well and used the Ford vehicle order tracking site as posted in the Explorer forum. I found the info pretty accurate and within a week (early) of actual delivery by truck from Chicago to Dutton. Try your luck.

https://www.ford.com/support/how-tos/search/track my vehicle order/

Fair enough and I use it too. But right now my dealer tells me my truck is tentatively scheduled for the week of 6/13 whereas the tracker website still says “order received”. So I won’t get an update from the site’s status until the truck is for sure scheduled. 

On 5/21/2022 at 9:49 PM, Tired Lizard said:

I'm at 8 emails from for a 2022 Escape PHEV scheduled week. Three this week. Today's has June 20.  So maybe it may go thru July.

When did you place your order and at what trim level?  I ordered a 2022 Escape SE PHEV on 3/31/22 and am still waiting for it to be scheduled.

For those who ordered a PHEV in 2022, has your order been scheduled or delivered yet?

1 hour ago, Wundretti said:

When did you place your order and at what trim level?  I ordered a 2022 Escape SE PHEV on 3/31/22 and am still waiting for it to be scheduled.

Titanium trim. I ordered on 3-11-22 and got the email with the VIN on 4-14, plus 7 more pushing the build week out.

• Like 1