Ford August 2017 Sales Down 2.1% - F-Series up 15%

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2017/09/01/aug-2017-sales.html

Ford F - Series sales totaled 77,007 trucks for August, a 15.0 percent gain. Demand remains strong for high trim - level Super Duty trucks, with Lariat, King Ranch and Platinum accounting for 53 percent of retail sales last month. This, together with demand for Raptor, translates into a $3,400 gain in F - Series average transaction pricing versus 2016 – now $45,600 per vehicle. Customers continue to favor high series Super Duty pickups. Last month, average transaction pricing for Super Duty moved above $55,000 per truck – a $5,500 increase.

Looking at the charts the Escape is slightly concerning, YOY it is down on sales in the hottest market segment there is currently. The new one can't get here soon enough.

77k pickups are insane. Hope I'm not too soon saying this but Houston is Toyota's 2nd important market IIRC. Maybe Ford should mount an price assault on cars and CUV there for the next 6 months.

I'll be interesting to see how the market reacts in the next 2 months there -- They estimate 500,000 1million vehicles are totaled, that is a lot of car buyers coming into the market.

How Ford will redirect inventory to dealers like this one http://www.mcreeford.net/The losses Ford will have on this will be substantial figure 503 vehicles at the ATP of $33,000 that is about 17million in losses and that is just the new vehicle side and 1 dealership. I'm not sure what the OEM's policy on if they will allow the vehicles to be sold as salvage or parts, or if they will just be crushed.

Edited by jasonj80

Why would Ford be impacted? The dealer owns those vehicles, not Ford. I also assume dealers and Ford have insurance for these circumstances to cover the loss.

The flooded vehicles can be sold with salvage titles if they're not a total loss. I suspect a lot will get crushed/scrapped because the damage is too much.

Why would Ford be impacted? The dealer owns those vehicles, not Ford. I also assume dealers and Ford have insurance for these circumstances to cover the loss.

The flooded vehicles can be sold with salvage titles if they're not a total loss. I suspect a lot will get crushed/scrapped because the damage is too much.

I was thinking the same thing. These vehicles are dealer owned, not Ford owned.

Disappointing to see Lincoln down.

Expy/Navi drops can be explained by buyers waiting for the new model.

MKC and MKX should benefit from the Continental's grille next year. They need some help to push higher.

The three key sales regions for Lincoln are California, New York / New Jersey and Florida

so I wonder if the impact of the Hurricane / severe storm really affected Lincoln's sales.

77,000 F Series sales, my go Ford is getting back to the days when it relied so heavily on F Series and Explorer,

anytime Ford is selling that many trucks with such a top heavy product mix all the pressure on cars and Utilties

is diminished. All we need now is or Ford to kick along with Expedition/ Navigator and get going on all the other utilities.

Earlier, Robert mentioned a bloodbath for Mustang, can anyone give a little bit of color on Mustang's sales figures

and what's happening with finance rates and incentives? I have a feeling that dealers are unable to compete against

deals beng offered elsewhere...or are we low tide on sales because everyone now wants the 2018 Mustang.....

Edited by jpd80

Looking at the charts the Escape is slightly concerning, YOY it is down on sales in the hottest market segment there is currently. The new one can't get here soon enough.

Apparently - The Escape is getting smoked (understatement) by the RAV4 and CR-V. Better keep your eye on the real competition!

"RAV4 sells more than 43,000 for all-time record back-to-back months"

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/toyota-motor-north-america-reports-us-sales-for-august-2017-300512961.html

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/american-honda-reports-august-2017-auto-sales-300513004.html

But not the Challenger!

I had a Challenger rental the last two days. Very nice car, even in rental guise. I could see myself buying an AWD one.

I still think that a lot of that comes down to the fact that FCA has nothing in the Dodge/ Jep/ Chrysler dealerships if one wants a car and not an Suv or truck. My evidence is that the sales of the Challenger rose as the choices got slimmer. Customers walk in and get to choose between two similar full sized sedans and a sporty coupe.

Edited by atomcat68

I think that has nothing to do with it. People don't shop that way. If Dodge doesn't have a car for them they buy something else.

It's a nice car. It's unique looking. It's compared to the Mustang and Camaro but is really the only remaining "personal luxury coupe" - More T-Bird than Mustang.

I am curious what percentage are AWD. AWD EB Mustang Convertible would get me to buy off schedule (I keep my cars a decade and staggered them five years).

The Challenger is huge though. I haven't checked dimensions but it felt bigger than our Flex. Would have liked to have had Blindspott Monitoring.

Edited by sullynd

Stang sales in the out house....its amazing how $5k incentive can help move the focus..really liked that car but its no longer viable for us...ford can sell trucks..but i would urge ford to rethink ranger and bronco until early next decade...i would not due anything to gut f150 sales as everything else ford has seems to be on dialisis and sick..not happy with the direction of ford in the last 6months....

• Like 1

But not the Challenger!

I had a Challenger rental the last two days. Very nice car, even in rental guise. I could see myself buying an AWD one.

Challenger has never outsold Mustang except this past month. Mustang is still about 10,000 ahead YTD. However, Camaro and Challenger are neck in neck for YTD sales. Interesting to see both Camaro and Challenger are continuing to get police pursuit sales.

Also noticed Challenger had the SXT lease special for August with 12000 yearly mileage.

Edited by bdegrand

Just noticed strong sales for Chevy Malibu, Equinox and Cruze. Also noticed those 3 models were offering the best lease incentives for August of all the competitors.

They also are trying to fix a badly over-supplied sales channel.

(I can't believe I'm just now chiming in on a monthly sales thread, but it's been a day.)