NASCAR Popularity Continues To Fade

bdegrand

1 hour ago, mustangchief said:

Bracket racing, NASCAR, Pro Sports in general have too many cry babies who require special rules so they have a chance to get lucky and win!  and yes IMSA too.

You have to understand that racing today is entertainment not an engineering competition.   Close races are more entertaining and makes it easier to get multiple mfrs and models.  That creates BOP rules which create crybabies (although sometimes the crybabies are right and the rule is unfair).

I think the solution is to set the BOP at the beginning of the year based on the last year's results (not just a few races).  Then you leave it for the entire season.  If someone figures out an advantage they get to use it for a year and may win the championship.   Then they get adjusted for next year, but not mid season or after every race.  This prevents a multi-year runaway but still encourages and rewards teams for getting better.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, akirby said:

You have to understand that racing today is entertainment not an engineering competition.   Close races are more entertaining and makes it easier to get multiple mfrs and models.  That creates BOP rules which create crybabies (although sometimes the crybabies are right and the rule is unfair).

I think the solution is to set the BOP at the beginning of the year based on the last year's results (not just a few races).  Then you leave it for the entire season.  If someone figures out an advantage they get to use it for a year and may win the championship.   Then they get adjusted for next year, but not mid season or after every race.  This prevents a multi-year runaway but still encourages and rewards teams for getting better.

The full-throttle, super hard tire, and massive downforce package NASCAR is using now isn't the way to go IMO. Takes too much driver skill out of the equation. They’re basically slot cars at this point

Edited by fuzzymoomoo

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, HotRunrGuy said:

I just read this morning that Pocono lost the IndyCar race for 2020

That has nothing to do with attendance and everything to do with drivers being severely injured (Wickens last year) or killed (Justin Wilson) and the track doing very little to improve itself. 2 years in a row they literally zip tied chain link fence gates to the catch fence to "repair" the catch fence after it was destroyed by a crash. 

Hell, it took Kasey Kahne taking out the bushes along one of the straights for them to FINALLY put up a catch fence in 2011 or so. 

Feb 18, 2001 took a lot of my desire to watch away. Love him, or hate him, there are just no real "bigger than life" guys out there now. Add to it, it would appear they are wading into politics as well and away from their fan base. 

LOVE the idea of having true STOCK cars on the track though.  

31 minutes ago, YT90SC said:

Feb 18, 2001 took a lot of my desire to watch away. Love him, or hate him, there are just no real "bigger than life" guys out there now. Add to it, it would appear they are wading into politics as well and away from their fan base. 

LOVE the idea of having true STOCK cars on the track though.  

If you’re referring to the Dog the Bounty Hunter thing this weekend, nobody knew (foolishly since he has a very well documented reputation) he was going to do that. Ever since Brian France was shitcanned the organization has stayed quiet on political issues. 

23 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

If you’re referring to the Dog the Bounty Hunter thing this weekend, nobody knew (foolishly since he has a very well documented reputation) he was going to do that. Ever since Brian France was shitcanned the organization has stayed quiet on political issues. 

No idea there. What did he do? Not what I was referring to. 

6 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I think it was during the drivers meeting he shouted 'Don't be a chump, vote for Trump' or something like that. The look of horror on some of the NASCAR execs faces was sheer horror. 

Thanks! Had no idea. That's how little I follow it anymore.  

• 2 months later...
On 9/4/2019 at 2:55 PM, fuzzymoomoo said:

I think it was during the drivers meeting he shouted 'Don't be a chump, vote for Trump' or something like that. The look of horror on some of the NASCAR execs faces was sheer horror. 

So he appealed to their base... I highly doubt they'll lose fans after this :hysterical:

And I feel it is also dependent on having a star(s) that can carry the fans (those who love and lose who hate) to watch.  There isn't a driver that can carry an entire fan base, or even two or three, in my opinion, currently.

And with Jimmie leaving after next season, that list got a whole lot shorter.  Kyle Busch v Logano v Truex Jr (all good drivers and the past 3 Champions) just doesn't move the needle unfortunately . . . . .

51 minutes ago, IMSA-XJR9 said:

And I feel it is also dependent on having a star(s) that can carry the fans (those who love and lose who hate) to watch.  There isn't a driver that can carry an entire fan base, or even two or three, in my opinion, currently.

And with Jimmie leaving after next season, that list got a whole lot shorter.  Kyle Busch v Logano v Truex Jr (all good drivers and the past 3 Champions) just doesn't move the needle unfortunately . . . . .

Kyle Busch probably gets the biggest reaction out of those three, but he's turned off more people I know than brought in. For all the hate Dale Earnhardt got back in the day, there was still something likable about him. Can't say that for Kyle. 

• Like 1

The 2019 championship finale at Homestead-Miami Speedway was a 20-year low point. It’s the smallest audience since at least 2001.

About 400,000 less people elected to watch the championship finale at Homestead-Miami Speedway in 2019 over the same race in 2018.

The championship finale is set to change locations in 2020. It will be Phoenix!

On 11/25/2019 at 6:17 PM, rperez817 said:

Yes sir Assimilator. More and more Americans, both children and adults, are participating in sports and gaming rather than just spectating.

I'm glad some people are still differentiating actual sports from videogames.  

I used to be a big fan of Nascar actually, I loved watching Jeff Gordon back in the day. I don't know why I used to like it, but it seemed fun back in the day. Over the years though, it's just gotten less and less interesting and then when Jeff retired I quit Nascar entirely.