• Custom Search

bdegrand

NASCAR Popularity Continues To Fade

1 hour ago, mustangchief said:

Bracket racing, NASCAR, Pro Sports in general have too many cry babies who require special rules so they have a chance to get lucky and win!  and yes IMSA too.

You have to understand that racing today is entertainment not an engineering competition.   Close races are more entertaining and makes it easier to get multiple mfrs and models.  That creates BOP rules which create crybabies (although sometimes the crybabies are right and the rule is unfair).

I think the solution is to set the BOP at the beginning of the year based on the last year's results (not just a few races).  Then you leave it for the entire season.  If someone figures out an advantage they get to use it for a year and may win the championship.   Then they get adjusted for next year, but not mid season or after every race.  This prevents a multi-year runaway but still encourages and rewards teams for getting better.

5 hours ago, akirby said:

You have to understand that racing today is entertainment not an engineering competition.   Close races are more entertaining and makes it easier to get multiple mfrs and models.  That creates BOP rules which create crybabies (although sometimes the crybabies are right and the rule is unfair).

I think the solution is to set the BOP at the beginning of the year based on the last year's results (not just a few races).  Then you leave it for the entire season.  If someone figures out an advantage they get to use it for a year and may win the championship.   Then they get adjusted for next year, but not mid season or after every race.  This prevents a multi-year runaway but still encourages and rewards teams for getting better.

The full-throttle, super hard tire, and massive downforce package NASCAR is using now isn't the way to go IMO. Takes too much driver skill out of the equation. They’re basically slot cars at this point

Edited by fuzzymoomoo

FYI...Darlington Raceway reduced seating this year (2019) from 58,000 to 47,000 seats!

39 minutes ago, bobbyd said:

FYI...Darlington Raceway reduced seating this year (2019) from 58,000 to 47,000 seats!

I just read this morning that Pocono lost the IndyCar race for 2020, I'm planning on going to the NASCAR double-header there next June.

HRG

1 hour ago, HotRunrGuy said:

I just read this morning that Pocono lost the IndyCar race for 2020

That has nothing to do with attendance and everything to do with drivers being severely injured (Wickens last year) or killed (Justin Wilson) and the track doing very little to improve itself. 2 years in a row they literally zip tied chain link fence gates to the catch fence to "repair" the catch fence after it was destroyed by a crash. 

Hell, it took Kasey Kahne taking out the bushes along one of the straights for them to FINALLY put up a catch fence in 2011 or so. 

Any time you have to let everyone know at least dozen times that you have great attendance at this single event, you are surely making an underlying confession that you have big picture attendance problem.

Edited by Kev-Mo

Feb 18, 2001 took a lot of my desire to watch away. Love him, or hate him, there are just no real "bigger than life" guys out there now. Add to it, it would appear they are wading into politics as well and away from their fan base. 

LOVE the idea of having true STOCK cars on the track though.  

31 minutes ago, YT90SC said:

Feb 18, 2001 took a lot of my desire to watch away. Love him, or hate him, there are just no real "bigger than life" guys out there now. Add to it, it would appear they are wading into politics as well and away from their fan base. 

LOVE the idea of having true STOCK cars on the track though.  

If you’re referring to the Dog the Bounty Hunter thing this weekend, nobody knew (foolishly since he has a very well documented reputation) he was going to do that. Ever since Brian France was shitcanned the organization has stayed quiet on political issues. 

Can't wait till the electric NASCAR days. Pit stops will be interesting. New car in the pit box, drivers will have to get out of their car and jump into the "new" charged up car waiting for them on pit road. This will be fun to watch Huuuuuuuuummmmmmmmmmmm

23 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

If you’re referring to the Dog the Bounty Hunter thing this weekend, nobody knew (foolishly since he has a very well documented reputation) he was going to do that. Ever since Brian France was shitcanned the organization has stayed quiet on political issues. 

No idea there. What did he do? Not what I was referring to. 

42 minutes ago, YT90SC said:

No idea there. What did he do? Not what I was referring to. 

I think it was during the drivers meeting he shouted 'Don't be a chump, vote for Trump' or something like that. The look of horror on some of the NASCAR execs faces was sheer horror. 

6 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I think it was during the drivers meeting he shouted 'Don't be a chump, vote for Trump' or something like that. The look of horror on some of the NASCAR execs faces was sheer horror. 

Thanks! Had no idea. That's how little I follow it anymore.