2019 explorer spied.

Glad someone posted something. Saw one tonight on I75 south a little past where 275 joins 75. Had the current Explorer taillights as the disguise. Since it was my first time seeing a prototype anything in real time I was a little too excited. But anyway it appears wider, lower, and longer. The sides didn't appear to have the curves of the current version. Also had quad look headlights. About the time I thought to take a pic, guess I had rode beside it to long and the driver slowed way down. One more thing, it had more of the zebra covering than cladding in my eyes.

The more I look at it, the more it reminds me of a reworked Flex with a sloping tailgate.

If Ford is looking to make Explorer longer and more roomy as a three row Utility, longer wheelbase is the key.

Could it be that the next Explorer takes on some of Flex's features, swallowing it up and ending the need for it.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

The main difference in the side profile (other than being lower) is the front wheels are much further forward of the cockpit than the current explorer. The wheel placement is more typical to RWD vehicles.

From the firewall forward it is much longer. The D pillar possibly looks like it might be at a steeper angle, but hard to tell

The ride height is different. But from the A to C pillar it looks identical to the current car. I'm going with attribute mule for the next gen Explorer and aviator.

Not for early mules, A Spring 2019 (2020MY) launch would only be 18 months away.

In the past 2 weeks I've seen Explorer, Ranger, Escape, Transit Connect, and Focus mules around.

Parts models for Aviator are only just coming due from suppliers, and its on an all new platform so it's not like they can do with it what they're doing with the Bronco mules driving around right now and hacking up something from the same platform.