2019 explorer spied.

I think one of those just in the quick glimpse in the video might be an Aviator

The main difference in the side profile (other than being lower) is the front wheels are much further forward of the cockpit than the current explorer. The wheel placement is more typical to RWD vehicles.

UMkMFfA.png

nydn-2016-ford-explorer-limited-profile.

kUxAQZU.png

2011-ford-explorer-review-lead2.jpg

The body doesn't look any different, but that doesn't mean anything, if it's just a platform or powertrain mule. And I'm finding it hard to tell if there's much difference in the wheel spacing up front. It does appear to sit lower, but aside from that, I'm not seeing much difference here. I think the body appearing lower/sleeker because there are no roof rack bars on the sides.

Edited by rmc523
  • Like 1

Dillon Dam Road, Dillon Colorado >9000'

I-70 Eastbound heading up from Silverthorne CO toward Eisenhower Tunnel >11,000'

US 6 heading east between Keystone and A-Basin Ski Area (Focus). Surely, the only reason to be on that road is to run it over Loveland Pass - a hair < 12,000'

post-13728-0-32678800-1506361867_thumb.png

Glad to see Ford using a tough proving ground.

Edited by Kev-Mo

The body doesn't look any different, but that doesn't mean anything, if it's just a platform or powertrain mule. And I'm finding it hard to tell if there's much difference in the wheel spacing up front. It does appear to sit lower, but aside from that, I'm not seeing much difference here. I think the body appearing lower/sleeker because there are no roof rack bars on the sides.

I did a (rough!) comparo (not posting it)

and the REAR DOORS on the new whatever look a very diff size from the Explorer's...

when I matched wheelbases, the r-door looks smaller >> makes me think the new one has a longer wlb

Edited by 2b2

It's a Frankenmule...

Current Explorer bodywork riding atop... something else.

The front wheel does look like it could be a bit forward in the wheel opening. It's exciting though.

Care to share anything else, or are you limited in what you can say?

Edited by rmc523
  • Like 1

Parts models for Aviator are only just coming due from suppliers, and its on an all new platform so it's not like they can do with it what they're doing with the Bronco mules driving around right now and hacking up something from the same platform.

Not for Powertrain mules on the new platform. Finished trim and packaging items for sure but powertrain needs 2+ years before that. Powertrain is 2021/2022CY and is early planning for 2025+.

If my info is correct, the timeline fits perfectly.

That would mean at minimum concepts at this year's shows, right? If we're already seeing mules.

I'm going to transfer Aviator concept to "definite." Won't be surprised to see some Ford 'concepts' either.

Edited by rmc523

That would mean at minimum concepts at this year's shows, right? If we're already seeing mules.

I'm going to transfer Aviator concept to "definite." Won't be surprised to see some Ford 'concepts' either.

Ford has been getting away from total concepts. I think if anything you'll see concepts like Honda/Lincoln have done where it is basically a production car. I could also see them showing production cars even if it is a year away. One it will hopefully get some people to hold off a purchase as well as show wall street good things are happening. An Explorer owner might be getting ready to replace their 8-10 year old one and sees the current one is the same as what they have, they might consider a Pilot/Highlander/Traverse but if they know Ford has a new one coming they might put it off to see what it offers. Even if they show something that is a year away it is not like the competition can emulate it that fast. The other issue is with all these coming launches is if they can keep quality up, that has always been an issue.

Based on the mules I've seen you're going to see a Facelifted Edge/MKX, Ranger, Facelifted TC, New Explorer, New Focus, New Escape, GT500, and Facelifted SD over the next 18 months.

Ford has been getting away from total concepts. I think if anything you'll see concepts like Honda/Lincoln have done where it is basically a production car. I could also see them showing production cars even if it is a year away. One it will hopefully get some people to hold off a purchase as well as show wall street good things are happening. An Explorer owner might be getting ready to replace their 8-10 year old one and sees the current one is the same as what they have, they might consider a Pilot/Highlander/Traverse but if they know Ford has a new one coming they might put it off to see what it offers. Even if they show something that is a year away it is not like the competition can emulate it that fast. The other issue is with all these coming launches is if they can keep quality up, that has always been an issue.

Based on the mules I've seen you're going to see a Facelifted Edge/MKX, Ranger, Facelifted TC, New Explorer, New Focus, New Escape, GT500, and Facelifted SD over the next 18 months.

Sorry, I wasn't clear in my previous post - that's exactly what I was referring to - the "concepts" that are basically the production model turned into a concept.

I did actually wonder if it could be a sedan, but figured that's unlikely.

Not implying it's a sedan, just comparing front wheel position in that mule to a known RWD vehicle,

First too admit that it's equally possible that this mule is still FWD AWD but with better proportions.

Either way, it's exciting times.

Not implying it's a sedan, just comparing front wheel position in that mule to a known RWD vehicle,

First too admit that it's equally possible that this mule is still FWD AWD but with better proportions.

Either way, it's exciting times.

To add another wrench into the discussion, the rumor was also out there that CD6 was FWD/RWD/AWD capable....

Many of Audi's vehicles still lean further toward the FWD look than some of the competition.

Edited by rmc523

Ford has been getting away from total concepts.

If by "getting away from" you mean "gone almost completely away from." The Lincoln MKR in '07 was pretty much the last full-on concept; you could consider the Evos to be one, but it was really more of a styling exercise to show the future design language.

If by "getting away from" you mean "gone almost completely away from." The Lincoln MKR in '07 was pretty much the last full-on concept; you could consider the Evos to be one, but it was really more of a styling exercise to show the future design language.

just-imho

the 2010 MKT*Concept* had less to do with any production vehicle (other than nomenclature),

ie pure-&-misleading Concept,

than the Evos had to do with Both the Stang + Fusion

(** imho the T-Conc tophat was 'hung' on a CV/TC Panther platform)

Mulally's first NAIAS with Ford, they show the Interceptor and MKR and he innocently asks are we going to build them?

Oh no, they're just concepts....

The look on Mulally's face, priceless.

• Like 1