2019 explorer spied.

I don't know if they did or didn't, but the MKT concept looked a lot like the production car, and the actual vehicle went into production in July of 2009, so why would they need a Panther to carry it?

Not really, the MKT concept had much different (better) proportions, and the production model became ugly looking.

Mulally's first NAIAS with Ford, they show the Interceptor and MKR and he innocently asks are we going to build them?

Oh no, they're just concepts....

The look on Mulally's face, priceless.

Yeah, he was ready to green light them, or at least the MKR. Makes you wonder how interest in Lincoln would've been had they produced it.

• Like 1

Not really, the MKT concept had much different (better) proportions, and the production model became ugly looking.

Saying it is better than the production one is like getting your finger cut off vs your thumb, yes your hand is more usable with a thumb but you're still down a finger.

It was just almost as ugly as the production MKT, that styling exercise should have been put to death right then.

Edited by jasonj80

Saying it is better than the production one is like getting your finger cut off vs your thumb, yes your hand is more usable with a thumb but you're still down a finger.

It was just almost as ugly as the production MKT, that styling exercise should have been put to death right then.

I'm not saying it was beautiful, just that like many of Lincoln's concepts, the production versions have lost much of the sexiness of the concepts.

offtopic cont...

I don't know if they did or didn't, but the MKT concept looked a lot like the production car, and the actual vehicle went into production in July of 2009, so why would they need a Panther to carry it?

the Concept had the exact same wheelbase as a Panther, not any D3/4

the body was completely different from the production with exquisitely sculpted side panels, only the front was cartoonish

body-on-frame lends itself to quickie fiberglas one-offs

(the production T *was* done, the designers had to make one attractive version)

glass roof & hatch 'appreciated' the still-available solid frame underneath

only thing carried over beside it's "letter" was being less practical than the Flex

Edited by 2b2
  • Like 1

Well it looks good and given from what I hear the platform it's based on was actually meant for a larger SUV, vs. the current one that was intended to be shared with a car I suspect it'll be very good. I was concerned with the ground clearance, though after studying video believe they may have actually increased ground clearance, and if so that is awesome. I'd like to see a feature on the next Explorer that allows for higher ground clearance and then lowers the vehicle at speed. While I am not off-roading I do like to head out when the powder is coming down and the more ground clearance the better, though I think minimum is somewhere around 8".

IMO Ford generally has been on a roll lately and so I am excited to see what they have done with the Explorer.