Jim Hackett's big moment: CEO's vision for Ford will become clearer this week

• Fullsize car is pointless in the US so no reason to replace the Taurus. Just make the next Fusion a totally kick ass car.
Well since spy shots are confirming the new Focus is going to be bigger than the current model, and rumor is NG Fusion is also growing, it makes sense to axe Taurus and not have a replacement ready since it appears NG Fusion is likely to overlap into D-segment size a bit.
  • Like 1

Right....it was a knee jerk reaction to them not having anything to show......which honestly wasn't the case either.....they had a refreshed F-150 and Mustang, and all-new Expedition to show, yet they chose to have F-150 and Expedition at their own separate events (Expedition's was a disaster), and Mustang was just thrown out there one day randomly after NAIAS. Launching those 3 that way left them with 0 in the way of intro material at NAIAS, so they had to scramble to make a powerpoint with "coming soon!!!!" images on it.

still hoping to find out who(s) approved those fiascos

& if from exec(suit)level, who(s) ideas they were

(need to know who to model the voodoo dolls after)

I don't know what Jim's big plan is but here will be my plan - which should be obvious to anyone paying attention to the industry - more CUVs! Look at Honda... best seller is CR-V, and the HR-V outsells Fit by a healthy margin.

• Fullsize car is pointless in the US so no reason to replace the Taurus. Just make the next Fusion a totally kick ass car.
  • Fiesta made sense when gas was $4 a gallon but obviously a marginal business now. But I would find a way to keep the car in the line up in the US. Import it from somewhere.
  • Make sure next gen EcoSport and C-Max replacement (a CUV) are build in North America so you have the capacity to meet demand.
  • Re-assess European niche products... Grand C-Max and S-Max maybe better off being replaced by 7-seat Escape/Kuga and 7-seat Edge, which Ford can sell worldwide.
  • Make more variants of Explorer and Edge. We have Platinum (Vignale) and Sport but there seem to be a lot of untapped potential. i.e. a "Raptor-lite" or FX version with faux-SUV styling (lots of cladding and a bit more ground clearance); a King Ranch Explorer (come on... shooting fish in the barrel here) etc.

1) I can agree with this.

2) Yes, I think Fiesta would be a good import candidate

3) I still think Mexico (Cuautitlan where Fiesta is currently made) is the likely candidate for this. Oakville will need something else once Flex/MKT go away.

4) I think that's definitely likely, with them shifting to crossovers too. That also frees up development money that would've gone to the _-Max and Galaxy products.

5) Edge could use a Platinum trim, but that's likely coming with the refresh (please replace the acres of black plastic on the center stack). I don't see Edge benefiting from much else, honestly. As for Explorer - Bronco will take the "Raptor-like" torch, so to speak. I agree with whoever said a King Ranch model might not be a crazy idea.

Really, I don't see Level 5 happening outside of certain special cases due to the liability questions (f'rinstance, you could have a fleet of autonomous cargo ships--but even then, you'd likely need a captain on one of the ships to deal with special cases (ignoring any need for crew to keep the things running)). I've always believed that the legal issues are what will hold back autonomous vehicles, more so than any ability to overcome technical/engineering issues.

I understand what you are saying but I think it's conceivable with the advance of technology that not only will level 5 be that standard, but due to liability reasons lower levels could be outlawed. If all vehicles were autonomous and connected and all human factors removed in a controlled environment it will very likely be much safer. Eventually......

But, that day is not here yet.

I don't know what Jim's big plan is but here will be my plan - which should be obvious to anyone paying attention to the industry - more CUVs! Look at Honda... best seller is CR-V, and the HR-V outsells Fit by a healthy margin.

• Fiesta made sense when gas was $4 a gallon but obviously a marginal business now. But I would find a way to keep the car in the line up in the US. Import it from somewhere.
  • Make sure next gen EcoSport and C-Max replacement (a CUV) are build in North America so you have the capacity to meet demand.
  • Re-assess European niche products... Grand C-Max and S-Max maybe better off being replaced by 7-seat Escape/Kuga and 7-seat Edge, which Ford can sell worldwide.
  • Make more variants of Explorer and Edge. We have Platinum (Vignale) and Sport but there seem to be a lot of untapped potential. i.e. a "Raptor-lite" or FX version with faux-SUV styling (lots of cladding and a bit more ground clearance); a King Ranch Explorer (come on... shooting fish in the barrel here) etc.

Makes good sense, maybe consider the 'Active' versions of the Fiesta and Focus bound for Europe introduction.

The rush is that everyone is pushing that way, and they're in a hurry to get there--Honda, f'rinstance, has committed to SAE Level 3 autonomy by 2020 and Level 4 autonomy by 2025, and Nissan has committed to having Level 3 cars on the road by the Tokyo Olympics. Nobody can afford to be left behind.

Unless I'm misreading what you're saying, you're acting like developing autonomous driving and those technologies are mutually exclusive when they're really synergistic.

Yeah, I'll agree that the Silicon Valley wonks are myopic in their outlook, but it doesn't help to be myopic in the other direction.

totally understand where "everyone" is going- I guess my comment about at a "measured pace" applies to the industry. But seems like "measured pace" is no longer acceptable to anyone these days on ANY subject.

Once again, showing my age.

and by the way- thx everyone for the education on "levels" of automation.

Makes good sense, maybe consider the 'Active' versions of the Fiesta and Focus bound for Europe introduction.

Yes, if Ford still wants to sell compact and subcompact cars in the US, just "Active" all of them. Subaru sold 65k XV Crosstrek in the US YTD thru August and only 58K Impreza. So Impreza hatchback with extra bits of gray plastic cladding outsold the regular hatch AND the sedan. That's how irrationally crazy Americans are when it comes to buying a car with plastic cladding. We don't like hatchbacks but if there is cladding on the side, we must have it!

And this is already after Subaru demonstrated how to sell a wagon in the US, a body style that is as radioactive as any, with some simple plastic cladding and 1 inch suspension lift (124k YTD thru August... One hundred twenty four thousand wagons).

I'm continually mystified that no other car company has picked up on this. If only Pontiac was still around...

Edited by bzcat
  • Like 1

totally understand where "everyone" is going- I guess my comment about at a "measured pace" applies to the industry. But seems like "measured pace" is no longer acceptable to anyone these days on ANY subject.

I don't necessarily disagree about the measured pace, particularly with the Silicon Valley wonks really having no clue how things really work when lives are on the line, but if an engineering-heavy company like Honda thinks they're that close to cracking the nut, I have to wonder.

Given the levels of dysfunction in DC and the various state legislatures, I don't think we need to worry about widespread availability of Level 4 or 5 (or maybe even 3) any time soon. That particular briar patch of liability won't be easy to traverse.

• Like 1

Yes, if Ford still wants to sell compact and subcompact cars in the US, just "Active" all of them. Subaru sold 65k XV Crosstrek in the US YTD thru August and only 58K Impreza. So Impreza hatchback with extra bits of gray plastic cladding outsold the regular hatch AND the sedan. That's how irrationally crazy Americans are when it comes to buying a car with plastic cladding. We don't like hatchbacks but if there is cladding on the side, we must have it!

And this is already after Subaru demonstrated how to sell a wagon in the US, a body style that is as radioactive as any, with some simple plastic cladding and 1 inch suspension lift (124k YTD thru August... One hundred twenty four thousand wagons).

I'm continually mystified that no other car company has picked up on this. If only Pontiac was still around...

What about this...perhaps they are selling just because they are Subarus?

Subaru has never had a great reputation making sedans outside of the WRX. They are known for wagons and the like.

Subaru is going with what they have and I think other manufactures are more content selling higher profit margin CUVs made off compacts and subcompacts. Just looking at base pricing alone...the Ecosport and Escape are nearly 6K more then their sedan/hatchback counterparts. The Subaru Crosstek costs only about 2K more then the same as the Impreza 5 door model its based off of with what looks to be a completely different tophat.

I don't think Ford selling a Fiesta or Focus Active is going to be worth the effort, at least in North America...especially if they are taking sales away from the Ecosport and Escape.

Edited by silvrsvt

Subaru has never had a great reputation making sedans outside of the WRX. They are known for wagons and the like.

Subaru is going with what they have and I think other manufactures are more content selling higher profit margin CUVs made off compacts and subcompacts. Just looking at base pricing alone...the Ecosport and Escape are nearly 6K more then their sedan/hatchback counterparts. The Subaru Crosstek costs only about 2K more then the same as the Impreza 5 door model its based off of with what looks to be a completely different tophat.

I don't think Ford selling a Fiesta or Focus Active is going to be worth the effort, at least in North America...especially if they are taking sales away from the Ecosport and Escape.

I agree. Subaru buyers in certain areas such as the Pacific Northwest are like BMW buyers in large cities. It's about the brand as much as the vehicle, if not more.

That's not to say Ford or others can't compete but you're not going to win over all those buyers just because you have a competitive product.

Cough*cough... Freestyle.

I think you are missing the point. I was saying Ford should stop selling Focus hatchback and just sell Focus Active. And I will bet my lunch money that Focus Active (or C-Max Active for that matter) will sell much better than just regular Focus.

Focus Active would just replace Focus while making Ford an extra $2000 per car. It doesn't have anything to do with Escape or EcoSport. People looking for SUVs are not looking at hatchbacks and vice versa. Subaru sold as many Forester as it could sell despite having Crosstrek.

Also the tophat on Crosstrek and Impreza is the same. The look different now because Crosstrek is on the previous gen body. Crosstrek is sold outside the US as Impreza XV... just another variant of the model like Focus Active would be.

Edited by bzcat
  • Like 2

I think you are missing the point. I was saying Ford should stop selling Focus hatchback and just sell Focus Active. And I will bet my lunch money that Focus Active (or C-Max Active for that matter) will sell much better than just regular Focus.

Focus Active would just replace Focus while making Ford an extra $2000 per car. It doesn't have anything to do with Escape or EcoSport. People looking for SUVs are not looking at hatchbacks and vice versa. Subaru sold as many Forester as it could sell despite having Crosstrek.

Also the tophat on Crosstrek and Impreza is the same. The look different now because Crosstrek is on the previous gen body. Crosstrek is sold outside the US as Impreza XV... just another variant of the model like Focus Active would be.

Agree 100%, the "Focus Active" is a relatively easy transition for Ford, another crossover that turns the tide.:)

• Like 1

Remember that Crosstek Subie is AWD (as all Subies are). I wonder if the next Focus will have an AWD option outside of any hi-po models.

My guess is AWD is not the main selling point of Crosstrek. It is the cladding and the "look". My next door neighbor just bought one for his 16 years old daughter and neither of them knew the car was AWD. She like the size and the fact that it didn't look "cheap". The dad likes the safety features and the fact it is not a SUV.

But obviously having AWD gives the car a legitimacy than something more cynical like Kia Niro or Chevy Spark Activ or previously Pontiac Vibe or Dodge Caliber cannot pull off. Ford can certainly make optional AWD available on Focus Active but it won't be necessary.

Edited by bzcat

AWD is definitely a main selling point for Subaru in the Pacific Northwest. And even in Atlanta I was surprised how many people want AWD even though they may only need it once every 5 years or so.

I have AWD on my Flex for inclement weather (rains all the time), but also because I didn't like the torque steer it otherwise would've had.

• Like 1