Ford Police Car Boycott

It's disappointing to see Ford but themselves in this drama. Such poor decision making. Normally they fold under pressure against social stuff. Just like when the AFA was to boycott because of advertisements in LGBT magazines. However, AFA didn't boycott land Rover or Audi or Jaguar for the same thing. Yet, Ford pulled the ads because of it. Here's the thing for me. It's a business and I don't really care about your personal life. However, I want to tap into that market that has large disposable income. Ford should advertise in various demographic and stay out of the political/religious/social septic tank.

• Like 2

I wish they had said nothing, especially considering validity of the protest. Although the FMC statement was rather mundane, it suggests tacit support for a very polarizing topic. I'm not surprised they are receiving pushback on this. And of course Martha Firestone Ford added significant fuel to the fire by opening her mouth. Even though she doesn't have much to do with building cars and trucks, she still is a representative of Ford. As someone who works in law enforcement, this is a very hot topic for me and I'm extremely disappointed in Ford. That's all I have to say about it.

• Like 2

In my opinion we are giving the protesters what they want, attention.

American the land of the entitled and offended.

I disagree with the NFL protesting during the anthem as anyone else.

I'm also disappointed in Ford.

However, the interesting part is that most of the people who said on social media that they aren't watching NFL anymore are liars. I see that in my own family. Since the media and general American public have ADD there will be something else before long to sink their teeth in before long.

• Like 1

Humans are creatures of habits, I see people "boycotting" things and a week later they are purchasing it again. Just trying to seek attention. Sometimes the loudest mouths have less skin in the game.. its like the people who live in portable palaces and metal mansions pay no property taxes (if you were to put a homestead exception on it in FL) pissed cause their roads aren't getting repaved as often or have opinions on school and city matters. :lol2:

If we simply ignored the kneelers then they would stop within a few weeks. Who cares what a few people think or do. Or better yet - just stop playing the damn anthem before every frickin’ sporting event. Save it for World Series, Super Bowl, etc.

Same thing happens with politics. One side does something. The other side overreacts. Then the other side overreacts. Rinse. Repeat. And social media fuels it.

• Like 3

Can the sheriff make these decisions legally? Can he make financial decisions with government money on personal feelings? I would suspect the government expects to get the best product that fits the job for the cheapest price and durability.

I read Ford's statement again. I don't see them say that they support or want the players to take a knee during the anthem. All I see is that we support rights to protest no matter how anyone else feels.

• Like 1

Can the sheriff make these decisions legally? Can he make financial decisions with government money on personal feelings? I would suspect the government expects to get the best product that fits the job for the cheapest price and durability.

I read Ford's statement again. I don't see them say that they support or want the players to take a knee during the anthem. All I see is that we support rights to protest no matter how anyone else feels.

I think it was Martha Firestone who was quite vocal and started the issue. If she would have only kept her opinions to herself, like the rest of the auto industry.

Can the sheriff make these decisions legally? Can he make financial decisions with government money on personal feelings?

I suspect the sheriff controls these purchases within his budget so the decision may be his alone. Although it could certainly be challenged especially at re-election time.

• Like 1

It may be different for county government, but in municipal government we go with the lowest responsible bidder. If we don't go with the lowest bidder there has to be a very good reason why, such as reoccurring problems with previous products purchased, they failed to meet minimum specifications detailed by the city, etc. We would get canned for buying a Chevy or Dodge over a Ford if Ford happened to have the lowest bid.

So many people only look at the kneel and never try to understand why it's being done. So of being on the other side of this I know why they're kneeling. Like it or not I support Ford and every other person that supports the rights of freedom of speech and press. Until you're in a situation where only the color of your skin is the deciding factor I support the kneel. Example of freedom of speech: all most every topic on here goes off into left field from the original header but no one shuts the thread down because of it.

• Like 2

As a Foreigner, I probably don't get the connection between someone in silent protest against acts of violence in custody / arrest versus a perception of disrespect for those who serve and protect...

maybe this Sheriff feels that the protest of violence perpetrated against backs is seen as insulting to those who serve an protect and

that it shouldn't be supported in any way by Ford......

(Corrected to remove ambiguity)

Edited by jpd80

So many people only look at the kneel and never try to understand why it's being done. So of being on the other side of this I know why they're kneeling. Like it or not I support Ford and every other person that supports the rights of freedom of speech and press. Until you're in a situation where only the color of your skin is the deciding factor I support the kneel. Example of freedom of speech: all most every topic on here goes off into left field from the original header but no one shuts the thread down because of it.

There are 2 factors at play here. One is disrespect towards the military and all those who have fought for the very freedom that allows protests. That’s what most people are upset about.

The 2nd is that kneeling by itself does nothing. At best it starts a conversation and opens the door to action. Doing it just because others are doing it to show solidarity is nice but what does it acomplish?

The players should use their stature to start a dialogue with the police and state and local governments so that both sides can understand the other’s position. The officers have just as many problems with black criminals as innocent blacks do with bad officers. Both should be addressed and each side needs to stop overreacting when something happens.

The issue for owners is that these players work for them and their jobs are dependent on tv and ticket sales. You can’t allow your employees to kill your business. When you’re on the field you’re at work. If you want to protest, do it on your own time. Better yet take some action. Why do players like to kneel? Because they’re lazy and kneeling is easy.

• Like 1

It may be different for county government, but in municipal government we go with the lowest responsible bidder. If we don't go with the lowest bidder there has to be a very good reason why, such as reoccurring problems with previous products purchased, they failed to meet minimum specifications detailed by the city, etc. We would get canned for buying a Chevy or Dodge over a Ford if Ford happened to have the lowest bid.

I can answer this.

Essentially when a municipal government goes out for bids, the department needing the item writes, the requirements. In other words, if they wanted to specifically purchase a Ford Explorer, they can tailor the requirements whereas only the Explorer would fit. Meaning, "We are looking for a 112.9 Wheelbase vehicle, with a 3.5L V6 blah blah", and put enough details where only the Explorer would fit the criteria. Same thing happens across the country with Fire Trucks, "We need a tower ladder truck that can fight fires 15 flight up, with this engine, this apparatus, vinyl interior"....till only ONE (the one they want, and usually the most expensive one).

Now, it doesn't mean they go with lowest bidder either. As long as it fits the criteria. Lowest bidder usually goes towards other items like construction of roads, sidewalks, parks, etc. where an RFQ is performed, and then all offers are sealed, then one day, all dept heads get together and open up all bids, and yes at that point they must go with lowest bid. Doesn't always mean it's the lowest though..there's alot of "changes" thereafter and I've seen the lowest, become the highest when everything was said and done.

I think it was Martha Firestone who was quite vocal and started the issue. If she would have only kept her opinions to herself, like the rest of the auto industry.

Yes, she dumped a whole lot of fuel on the fire. Ford's initial statement was very Switzerland, with plausible deniability, but then people associated her with FMC.

The NFL could have nipped this in the bud early on by following there own written policy, but they failed.

Interestingly, I am not allowed to make any political statements at work, so employers can legally prevent them from causing a spectacle.

• Like 2

So what do you mean by your last sentence?

Sorry, edited for clarity - the original was typed while tired and I didn't realized the ambiguity

I don't have any dog in this fight other than a passing interest as a white Aussie woman was gunned down recently.

With no explanation or apology from the officer involved, it's hard to understand why a woman in a dressing gown

was shot dead running up to the window of a patrol car.

Edited by jpd80

I suspect the sheriff controls these purchases within his budget so the decision may be his alone. Although it could certainly be challenged especially at re-election time.

He has a lot of say in what is selected. He can narrowly tailer the specifications of the Request for Proposal so that Ford products would not be able to meet the specifications, such as requiring a V8 or something like that. They are supposed to accept the low bidder, unless they can articulate why it is justifiable to accept a higher bid as well, which isn't that difficult to do.