with BoP deciding races why enter a Ford GT vs. a Mustang?

meyeste

I was excited to see the GT in the IMSA GTLM classes and the initial success looked promising, then I found out about the BoP and how it degrades the performance of a GT to the point a Corvette can beat it on a track. My question then is why develop the GT at all? Why not just put the Mustang in those races and then all the other manufacturers would have to weigh down their cars until the Mustang can beat them? I agree with BoP to a point, however what has happened is the team with the best pit crew is most likely to win are we actually watching racing or are we actually watching a pit crew competition?

I'd be really, really tempted to enter the Mustang into this series and move the GT to some other series for a year, just to let them know BoP is overreaching... and of course then I'd be laughing my ass off watching Mustangs beat Corvettes that are carrying 500 lbs of BoP weight.

Edited by meyeste

Actually Ford had planned a super mustang initially but it was too expensive so they canned it. The GT project was done in secret - it would have never been greenlighted as a regular project.

The GT was designed as a 200 mph sports car. Mustang was not from an aerodynamic standpoint.

Actually Ford had planned a super mustang initially but it was too expensive so they canned it. The GT project was done in secret - it would have never been greenlighted as a regular project.

The GT was designed as a 200 mph sports car. Mustang was not from an aerodynamic standpoint.

I have heard that, however it's gotta be frustrating to see a GT weighed down and otherwise limited to the point a Corvette is able to beat them. While I agree they ought to keep the cars competitive, completely eliminating a better car's superiority is going a bit too far.

Perhaps a good rule ought to be normalize all pit crew times and adjust each car's time, so that races don't come down to pit crew performance. After all they are doing that with cars, why not do it with pit time?

Edited by meyeste

Almost all of the GTLM cars are de-tuned from their factory configurations including the Ferrari 488. In some cases I think it's 150 hp or more that they've lost.

It does make you question whether it's worthwhile to make any kind of improvements if the BOP is just going to take it away.

• 1 year later...