Is this a new Ford Explorer spied testing in Colorado?

I think this is the same one that was photographed a few weeks ago.

PD said it was a frankenmule. CD6 platform with current Explorer top hat

Most of the pictures don't tell much of anything....

But look at the side profile shot, you can tell the wheels don't quite fit in the wheel wells properly - both to me look to be a bit far forward in the wheel well, especially the rear wheels.

Hmmm..... diesel? That would pretty much confirm RWD if nothing else.

Don't forget that Peugeot (PSA) used the Lion V6 diesel in a FWD vehicle,

It's possible that the NG Explorer could still be FWD/AWD or RWD/AWD...

Ford is keeping us guessing, I hope they go RWD, it opens up the possibility

of more F150 /Mustang engines as well as the proposed hybrid packaging...

Edited by jpd80

And this is where a diesel would come into its own, it;s about time Explorer had a diesel like Grand Cherokee,

that opens up the possibility of global exports as well as more domestic sales - it takes fuel cost out of the equation.

I hope this leads to the long awaited Aviator...

Edited by jpd80

Don't forget that Peugeot (PSA) used the Lion V6 diesel in a FWD vehicle,

It's possible that the NG Explorer could still be FWD/AWD or RWD/AWD...

Ford is keeping us guessing, I hope they go RWD, it opens up the possibility

of more F150 /Mustang engines as well as the proposed hybrid packaging...

I didn't say it wasn't possible, but I don't see Ford doing the development work just to fit it into one vehicle.

And I don't know why you don't believe all the insider info on CD6.

I didn't say it wasn't possible, but I don't see Ford doing the development work just to fit it into one vehicle.

With how the company has been lately, it's understandably hard sometimes to get hopes up.

• Like 2

With how the company has been lately, it's understandably hard sometimes to get hopes up.

Oh I could understand some trepidation about whether cd6 is happening or not, but jpd80 has been doubting all the details on CD6 from day one. Must be part of his Hackett-phobia.

Diesel points to Explorer being designed for export (more so than it current is) and that makes plenty of sense for markets like Australia.

I don't know that 3.0 diesel automatically means RWD but it certainly means longitudinal engine with 10 speed auto. I don't think Ford will go through the trouble of engineering a transverse application for 3.0 diesel just for Explorer. There is no other logical candidate for this drivetrain (in a transverse setting).

Potential 3.0 diesel longitude = F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Ranger, Bronco, Transit RWD, + CD6 Explorer/Aviator (if you believe CD6 is a flexible FWD/RWD platform)

Potential 3.0 diesel transverse = only CD6 Explorer and Aviator (if you believe CD6 is FWD transverse platform)

Edge, Fusion/Mondeo, S-Max, Transit FWD, Transit Custom are all transverse engine but I don't see any of them requiring 3.0 V6 diesel.

• Like 1

I haven't seen anyone come out and say, yes there is a project called CD6 and its RWD

I had a source at Ford eng a while back and he just laughed at me when i asked about CD6

his response was, "is that what you guys are calling it?"

And yeah, I don't see Captain Cost Cut signing off an on all new Explorer platform, I expect it to be a heavy Evolution of D3.

That's why Fields had no issue with pushing back all the platforms we're griping about, the NGs are just evolved versions.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

I haven't seen anyone come out and say, yes there is a project called CD6 and its RWD

I had a source at Ford eng a while back and he just laughed at me when i asked about CD6

It's been confirmed multiple times by more than one source that it is called CD6 and will be RWD.

3.0 liter diesel would see to be overkill to me. Maybe one of their new diesels in the 2.2 range IIRC would be better.

The new EcoBlue diesels are 1.5 and 2.0 I-4 diesels, the latter replaces the Puma 2.2 in Commercials and the 2.2 PSA in cars.

with 300 lb ft amd a 8/9AT, that may be enough for a fuel efficient Explorer.

And yeah, I don't see Captain Cost Cut signing off an on all new Explorer platform, I expect it to be a heavy Evolution of D3.

That's why Fields had no issue with pushing back all the platforms we're griping about, the NGs are just evolved versions.

We've had multiple confirmations that there is a CD6......the only question we still have is what it is. Indications (to me) lately have pointed toward RWD/AWD.

Shoot, it's been on multiple engineer's LinkedIn profiles for more than a year...

Not to mention a while back when a few people were reshuffled at the top, there was someone who was named in charge of IIRC next-gen Explorer, Mustang, and unique Lincoln products.

I can't find those posts now, though.

If that doesn't point to those vehicles all being on one platform, I don't know what does.

I want it to be true but my source at Ford was less than helpful and encouraging when all this first emerged in 2015.

I'm happy to be proven wrong but like so many RWD rumors, I'm prepared to wait and see....

The addition of an extra MCE to most platforms by Fields was an indication of slow down yes

but it also pointed to the fact that Ford is in no hurry to bring all new products to market

until electrification technology is ready. I think that's more defining than FWD/RWD enigma.

So now that Ford is so heavily committed to an electrification future, does the CD6 project

now come into focus as a PHEV / EV friendly platform evolution of existing architecture.

Edited by jpd80

I want it to be true but my source at Ford was less than helpful and encouraging when all this first emerged in 2015.

I'm happy to be proven wrong but like so many RWD rumors, I'm prepared to wait and see....

The addition of an extra MCE to most platforms by Fields was an indication of slow down yes

but it also pointed to the fact that Ford is in no hurry to bring all new products to market

until electrification technology is ready. I think that's more defining than FWD/RWD enigma.

I forgot to respond to that part in the previous post....

If all the next-gen products remained on a modified D4, wouldn't that completely go against the idea of delaying them? In other words, doesn't the fact that they've been delayed prove that they'll be on something else?

Think about it - why would they need to delay the products if they were just modified D4, which would require a comparatively minimal investment in resources and manpower vs. developing an all new platform to underpin multiple vehicles? I mean, effectively, that'd just be putting on a new top hat.

3.0 liter diesel would see to be overkill to me. Maybe one of their new diesels in the 2.2 range IIRC would be better.

Explorer will almost certainly have both 2.0 I4 diesel and 3.0 V6 diesel. Multiple diesel engines are expected for SUV like this outside of US market. Just like we expect both I4 and V6 gas engine in the US.