Lincoln's freshened 2019 MKC gets new mesh grille, tech

I thought this is the CUV that would get the name "Nautilus". Maybe it will be next gen? A nautilus is a small sea creature, so I thought that the small entry level product would be a perfect for it. Besides, the name sounds much cooler until you find out what it is because of Jules Verne naming a ship after it in his most famous novel.

iirc, Verne's Nautilus (or should I say, "Nemo's") was sorta nuclear-ELECTRIC...

...just sayin' shades.gif

&

H1010-IO-Commandos.jpg

Perhaps a rethink away from present vehicles to what's coming in the Ford Arsenal with respect to

longer wheelbase in Focus, Focus Active and Escape....Vignale versions of those vehicles could

ultimately give rise to two new Lincoln Utilities and maybe a compact car for China

Edited by jpd80

Big NO to Zephyr. Please come up with something that doesn't scream old, cheap or gussied up Fusion.

Exactly! Two other problems with the name "Zephyr" are as follows:

1. Without taking a deep dive into the word, lots of folks out there really don't know exactly what a "Zephyr" is. Once upon a time, I know I sure didn't.

2. The word "Zephyr" rhymes with "heifer," which brings to mind an image of something big, bloated, and slow.

The Zephyr model has a long Lincoln history. It was introduced in the depths of the Depression (1936) and was meant to be a more “affordable” Lincoln (much like the Lasalle was to Cadillac). It also came with a V12 engine. But the generation of people that remember the original Zephyr are largely gone. The more recent 2006 version are what people are familiar with.

The Zephyr model has a long Lincoln history. It was introduced in the depths of the Depression (1936) and was meant to be a more “affordable” Lincoln (much like the Lasalle was to Cadillac). It also came with a V12 engine. But the generation of people that remember the original Zephyr are largely gone. The more recent 2006 version are what people are familiar with.

What some of us really remember is the old Mercury Fox-body of the late '70s/early '80s.

Exactly! Two other problems with the name "Zephyr" are as follows:

1. Without taking a deep dive into the word, lots of folks out there really don't know exactly what a "Zephyr" is. Once upon a time, I know I sure didn't.

2. The word "Zephyr" rhymes with "heifer," which brings to mind an image of something big, bloated, and slow.

The name has already been used. How many times can you reuse it? IMO, They would be better off keeping MKC,MKX and MKZ as they are and save the names for entirely new models. FCA tried that with the 200 and now it's gone.

I still hope Couger name could be used somewhere.

I agree, the Cougar could be a 3-4 inch longer Mustang based, with the hardtop style of the 67-70 Mercury Cougar.

Thus anyone in the back seat over 5'8' could sit back there.

As for not using the Zephyr name, I have to disagree, the Lincoln was only around for 1 year and the younger generation will not know of the Mercury Zephyr.

Lincoln/Ford will do whatever they will do.

Gotta love Lincoln logic.

We need a change in perception for Lincoln so let's replace all those fusty old person names

with letter codes that mean nothing to this generation of buyers and when that fails, we'll just

go back to those same old fusty names but now call them heritage names.

• Like 2

Gotta love Lincoln logic.

We need a change in perception for Lincoln so let's replace all those fusty old person names

with letter codes that mean nothing to this generation of buyers and when that fails, we'll just

go back to those same old fusty names but now call them heritage names.

Don’t forget Emm-Kay wasn’t the original plan - it was supposed to be Mark Z, Mark C, Mark X, etc. Still bad but not just a bunch of letters.

I never understood how/why they thought people would pronounce something spelled "MKZ" or "MKX" as "Mark Z" or "Mark X"...

Agreed - Mazda's system - before they went CX/MX was the best "LincolnC" etc would be too long, but "MarkC" would be pretty good. Now is the letters made sense (C-E, etc) even better.