Planned $700 billion investment at FRAP changed

I took this move to mean that Fiesta is moving out of Cuautitlan, which would mean the move doesn't confirm the EV utility at Fiesta size.

OK but given Ford's desire to match GM and Tesla, it's reasonable to assume that a 300 mile Utility will be on the compact side

and not unlike the Bolt. Do we have confirmation that Fiesta production at Cuautitlan is ending before 2020?

Edited by jpd80

It's obvious to me that Ford's management is confused and can't make up their minds. A large part of this is due to conflicting priorities between the gov't, wall street, and actual customers. The various govt's wants to force electric via regulation even though next to nobody actually wants one, wall street wants them to throw everything they've got into a pie in the sky autonomous scheme, and then the actual buyers mostly just want bigger and better gas guzzling trucks and utilities. Of course the current administration throws uncertainty on the govt's future regulation/attitude. Then again the truck/suv buyers are the ones who voted this admin in and seem to be in the political majority at this point.

So Ford is stuck trying to please three entities with nearly mutually exclusive demands. I don't envy the execs but the circus going on at Ford headquarters is becoming obvious to even the most casual outside observer.

• Like 2

Ive been telling you all that for months. 2018 is its last model year

I'm curious because back in July, Ford's B-Segment Program manager, Bob Stiller said there would be no MY2018 Fiesta..LINK

So, was he talking about the just released in Europe Fiesta while the 2017 US Fiesta dead legs into 2018 when FNA kills it?

That would mean Cuautitlan could be empty for restructure for about 18 months or so, perfect for a full refit.

Edited by jpd80

That's why some California officials are pushing for phase out of gasoline and diesel powered cars on an aggressive timeframe. They want their state to beat China.

Let's pause for a moment and take a look at what's going on here.

LA-Traffic-405.jpg

This is what California built.

California is now spazzing out about putative climate change due to cars.

And what is their solution?

Is it a soul-searching investigation into the sustainability of their own way of life? A realization that they have set the gold standard when it comes to irresponsible and profligate consumption of energy?

Nope.

They want to force people somewhere else to foot all of the cost involved in fixing a problem that they are in large part responsible for.

So just remember that the next time someone wants to heap a lot of praise on CARB for 'forcing' manufacturers to build electric vehicles: They made a mess, and they're doing their dangedest to make someone else foot the bill for it.

• Like 7

And you can make the exact same argument about their consumption of water, both in the San Joaquin Valley and in Los Angeles.

Change their way of life? No way! Force other people to pay for their profligacy? Absolutely.

The very idea that Los Angeles residents want their waste water dumped in the ocean instead of passing it through natural and manmade filtering systems and back into their water supply, even though that's exactly what happens to the water before it gets to them​, is a prime example of the gigantic gap between Californians who see their state as progressive and the reality--that they are as interested in passing the buck and avoiding the real costs of their actions as any other humans anywhere else on the planet.

Edited by RichardJensen
  • Like 6

I have issue with the amount of influence disruptors have with legislators who are buying the sizzle but don't understand

fully the mechanisms required for rapid change on the scale expected nor the ramifications for legislating things into law

before technology and society is ready. It's like governments and advocates have thrown caution out the window because

they are all so besotted with what they imagine is possible...

Summing up, people are buying the concepts being pedaled while these tech disruptors quickly cobble together something

that resembles what they said was possible. - I think we're heading for a whole raft of new problems simply because these

new strategies and products have not been fully thought through both in support logistics and actual tech limitations.

Edited by jpd80