Ford US ESP at Cost

• 1 month later...
On 3/26/2021 at 6:21 PM, blwnsmoke said:

The Canadian deal is no longer available so the thread has been changed.  The US dealer is still doing them at cost and 0% financing for 24 months to US residents (except Florida).

Bummer, I just took possession of my new Bronco and was really looking for an affordable Canadian ESP.

Technically I have 3 years to purchase so if you're contact ever starts selling again please let me know, thanks @blwnsmoke

55 minutes ago, akirby said:

Put that money in your pocket.  Chances are any issues will happen during the factory warranty period.  

I hope you're right but not 100% convinced seeing as I'll be taking ownership of the new 2021 Bronco. 

I guess the engines arnt new and exclusive so there's history there to gauge off of....

Tough decision. 

1 hour ago, CO-Bronco said:

I hope you're right but not 100% convinced seeing as I'll be taking ownership of the new 2021 Bronco. 

I guess the engines arnt new and exclusive so there's history there to gauge off of....

Tough decision. 

It’s simple statistics.  If Ford didn’t make more on average than they paid out in repairs they wouldn’t sell them.  One vehicle might be an outlier but that’s just gambling.  I’ve never bought one and never had a major repair so I’ve saved over $10k by never buying them.  Even if I had to pay for a $5K repair I’m still ahead $5K.  But I understand not everyone looks at it that way.  What I don’t understand is why a $3k repair scares people but paying $1500 for something you may never use over and over doesn’t.

When I bought my 2018 F150 it had more technology and gadgets than any vehicle I had ever owned by far. I got a little nervous about what could go wrong so got a price from the dealer for the extended warranty. He gave me his price but then basically said the same thing as @akirby. They figure what repairs are likely to cost (with a safety factor added) then build in profit for the underwriter, Ford and the dealer and the finance manager. He said if not having a warranty would keep me up at night then buy it for piece of mind. If not, don’t bother. I bought a smoker with the money instead and enjoy it every week.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CO-Bronco said:

Bummer, I just took possession of my new Bronco and was really looking for an affordable Canadian ESP.

Technically I have 3 years to purchase so if you're contact ever starts selling again please let me know, thanks @blwnsmoke

It's an easier pill to swallow when you are buying them at or close to cost.  In the US, it's close to 40% off retail.  Then when you break it up into 24 monthly payments, it's even easier (at least in the US).

http://fordcanadawarranty.ca/

The link above is who I was referring to.  Although can't promise the best deal, they told me they are still competitive and most likely lower then everyone else.  Doesn't hurt to get a quote 

• 3 months later...

Good afternoon.

Not trying to hijack the thread, but I have a dumb question.  I will be moving from Maryland to Florida.  Two of my Ford vehicles currently have Ford ESP on them from Maryland, and my Jeep Wrangler has the Mopar Lifetime Warranty.  Will these still be valid in Florida?  Also, once I am a Florida resident, I won't be able to buy Ford ESP on any new vehicles at only MSRP?

Thanks!

58 minutes ago, exrub said:

Good afternoon.

Not trying to hijack the thread, but I have a dumb question.  I will be moving from Maryland to Florida.  Two of my Ford vehicles currently have Ford ESP on them from Maryland, and my Jeep Wrangler has the Mopar Lifetime Warranty.  Will these still be valid in Florida?  Also, once I am a Florida resident, I won't be able to buy Ford ESP on any new vehicles at only MSRP?

Thanks!

Of course they’re still valid.  And you can still buy discounted ESPs - you just have to do it through a Florida dealer and not off the internet.  Seller must be licensed in Fla.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, akirby said:

Of course they’re still valid.  And you can still buy discounted ESPs - you just have to do it through a Florida dealer and not off the internet.  Seller must be licensed in Fla.

That's great to hear.  Of course, I think my next purchase may be a Mach-E in a year or two.  Wonder how much the ESP for that one would be.

Anyway, sorry to ask this on this thread, but wasn't there a mandate by Ford that dealers need to sell Mach-E's at MSRP and not more?  Noticed a dealer in Florida selling for about $1,000 over sticker.  Just curious.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, exrub said:

That's great to hear.  Of course, I think my next purchase may be a Mach-E in a year or two.  Wonder how much the ESP for that one would be.

Anyway, sorry to ask this on this thread, but wasn't there a mandate by Ford that dealers need to sell Mach-E's at MSRP and not more?  Noticed a dealer in Florida selling for about $1,000 over sticker.  Just curious.

Thanks!

Ford can’t mandate the dealer’s selling price.  That’s illegal.  They can however strongly suggest that dealers don’t do that and punish them with decreased future allocations - but only to a certain extent.  Shop around and get the price in writing if you order just to be safe.

3 hours ago, akirby said:

Ford can’t mandate the dealer’s selling price.  That’s illegal.  They can however strongly suggest that dealers don’t do that and punish them with decreased future allocations - but only to a certain extent.  Shop around and get the price in writing if you order just to be safe.

Copy that!  Appreciate your insights.  Will have to be alert when I begin my shopping.

Thanks, again!

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/11/2021 at 1:30 PM, akirby said:

Put that money in your pocket.  Chances are any issues will happen during the factory warranty period.  

I would argue this...

I would agree with you when talking about items that are mechanical with moving parts - you get into wear/tear - failure due to workmanship or stress on the items - excessive use etc.  

With all of the tech in these new rigs and all of the computers, sensors, electronics and pc type boards, those will work one day and not the next day.  They don't have moving parts and therefore don't care about time.  

For the money you pay for one of these - it's a no-brainer to place a service contract on a $75k rig.  You can't even replace both headlights for the cost of an 8 year service agreement let alone your PCM or SYNC4 head unit. 

15 years ago maybe, not anymore.  Besides, it's cancelable if you sell the rig or trade it in.  Your "MONEY IN THE BANK" scenario will NEVER accrue enough interest to balance this out.  

Just my 2¢

14 hours ago, 22KRTremor said:

I would argue this...

I would agree with you when talking about items that are mechanical with moving parts - you get into wear/tear - failure due to workmanship or stress on the items - excessive use etc.  

With all of the tech in these new rigs and all of the computers, sensors, electronics and pc type boards, those will work one day and not the next day.  They don't have moving parts and therefore don't care about time.  

For the money you pay for one of these - it's a no-brainer to place a service contract on a $75k rig.  You can't even replace both headlights for the cost of an 8 year service agreement let alone your PCM or SYNC4 head unit. 

15 years ago maybe, not anymore.  Besides, it's cancelable if you sell the rig or trade it in.  Your "MONEY IN THE BANK" scenario will NEVER accrue enough interest to balance this out.  

Just my 2¢

The thing about electronics is they either fail early or last forever.

As for the economics - of course you can easily exceed $2K on a repair but ask yourself this question - if Ford makes money on these ESPs (and rest assured they are making money or they’d either stop selling them or raise the price) then what does that say about the average repair costs over the life of the ESP?  The answer is they’re lower than the cost.  On average over many vehicles.  So it’s a gamble - just like going to Vegas.  You’re putting down $2k on the craps table and the odds are that you’ll lose some or all of it.   But on rare occasions you might win and win big.  It just depends on whether you like to gamble and potentially pay for a big repair out of pocket occasionally but come out ahead in the long run or risk $2k now to avoid a big bill later.

Ive speasily saved $12K by not buying them so even if I had to spend $5K tomorrow I’m still $7k ahead.  Some people don’t think like that though.

55 minutes ago, akirby said:

The thing about electronics is they either fail early or last forever.

As for the economics - of course you can easily exceed $2K on a repair but ask yourself this question - if Ford makes money on these ESPs (and rest assured they are making money or they’d either stop selling them or raise the price) then what does that say about the average repair costs over the life of the ESP?  The answer is they’re lower than the cost.  On average over many vehicles.  So it’s a gamble - just like going to Vegas.  You’re putting down $2k on the craps table and the odds are that you’ll lose some or all of it.   But on rare occasions you might win and win big.  It just depends on whether you like to gamble and potentially pay for a big repair out of pocket occasionally but come out ahead in the long run or risk $2k now to avoid a big bill later.

Ive speasily saved $12K by not buying them so even if I had to spend $5K tomorrow I’m still $7k ahead.  Some people don’t think like that though.

I'll agree with you if you're constantly buying vehicles.  However, for those of us who drive till they're done or totaled...  It's cheap insurance as far as I'm concerned.

My experiences have NOT been either they fail now or work forever.  This will be my 4th new Ford truck.  Service Contract on every one.  Every one of the previous two trucks have paid for themselves with ease.  The first one did not but that was when I was in my 20's and could not afford a large repair bill without it hurting my pocketbook in a large way.  2011 Raptor had the heated seats AND cushions replaced 2wice due to a bad heater.  Never turned off and melted / burned the cushions (and made my legs NICE AND WARM to boot).  ;)  

And for me it's insurance that I believe will come in handy if ever needed.  I divide it out and that's about $27/mo.  I spend a whole lot more than that on my daily life with regards to my beverages.

There are a shitload of electronics on these.  I'm not willing to take the gamble even though I can pay for the bill upfront.  

Piece of mind for me.  To each his own.   

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 12/18/2021 at 12:20 PM, akirby said:

Just remember the coverage is limited.  Factory covers b2b for 3 yrs 36k and powertrain is 5 yrs 60k.  ESP only covers the difference up to 7/100k and it doesn’t cover everything.

If you’re comfortable with the gamble then go for it.

Is there Z plan pricing on ESP or is pricing totally set by dealer? 

• 3 weeks later...

Please send me the dealer information for this - I am US based and have a superduty on order. Want to put the information in the folder I have my order information in so I don't forget about it when the truck is finally built and delivered.

Response to Akirby above,

In general I agree with your sentiment on this. The math on this would be that you sell the plans for around/slightly over the cost to operate a given vehicle for the same time period, so Ford would expect say 2k repairs needed on a given vehicle in the first 75k miles. On my 13 and 16 f150s I didnt bother with ESP and lucked out because in 70k miles on one and 50k on the other neither has needed any work, I was going to bite the bullet and get an ESP on the F350 when it comes in because I feel like I've had way too good of luck on my other two trucks and I don't know how long I can keep that luck going. My logic disagrees with my gut on this one.

I normally subscribe to the opinion that extended warranties aren't worth it because they wouldn't be sold if not profitable.  However, I was considering one for a diesel truck where the damages can be very expensive if one of the emissions systems fail.  I believe if the cp4 pump fails it could wreck the entire fuel system and possibly cause engine damage.

I don't see where the contract or brochure for the Ford ESP PremiumCare covers anything more than the EGR, injectors, and lift pump.  The EGR is questionable because they list out for components of the EGR and I'm not sure if there's other sub-components not covered.  I don't see the SCR or DPF systems all.

Does anyone with a diesel Super Duty have one of these ESP plans?  Am I correct this doesn't help with all of the diesel-specific issues that could happen?

Thanks

On 2/3/2022 at 5:40 PM, bob99 said:

I normally subscribe to the opinion that extended warranties aren't worth it because they wouldn't be sold if not profitable.  However, I was considering one for a diesel truck where the damages can be very expensive if one of the emissions systems fail.  I believe if the cp4 pump fails it could wreck the entire fuel system and possibly cause engine damage.

I don't see where the contract or brochure for the Ford ESP PremiumCare covers anything more than the EGR, injectors, and lift pump.  The EGR is questionable because they list out for components of the EGR and I'm not sure if there's other sub-components not covered.  I don't see the SCR or DPF systems all.

Does anyone with a diesel Super Duty have one of these ESP plans?  Am I correct this doesn't help with all of the diesel-specific issues that could happen?

Thanks

I have had them (bought online, at cost, rather than at highway-robbery finance manager rates) on 2008 and 2016 F250 diesels. Both paid for themselves -- the 2008 had some engine issues and had the cab off twice, plus 2 radiator r&r's (among other smaller things), and the '16 had a DPF failure last year (not sure if that might have been covered under the powertrain warranty though since it was right around 5 years; either way, it would have been 5K). I have a '22 F350 diesel on order and that too will have an ESP. Since the 16's is still in force (8 year), that is also a very good selling point since it's transferable. I'll have a '16 with only 50K miles to sell, and it will still have 3 years worth of warranty; nearly a new truck to the nextbuyer. And if one trades in their vehicle, you can always cancel the ESP early, and receive a prorated refund of remaining time. Diesel-only, I think they are well worth it if buying smartly. Resist the urge of the fast-talking finance manager and do not buy from him. He's always lying :). And NEVER buy a non-ESP warranty.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...