S650 cancelled?

A report from a site I've never heard of "Virtual Driver" claims to have a confirmed reports that Ford has canceled the clean-sheet design for the 2021 Mustang and will have massive design staff layoffs.

I tend to assume that this is click bait. While I suppose they could keep the S550 around indefinitely, a lighter RWD platform for the Mustang and a Lincoln would pay dividends in meeting fuel economy targets down the line. Also, the idea of laying off thousands of design staff seems ridiculous even if you think the future is autonomous people pods as a service.

http://www.thevirtualdriver.com/analysis/2017/12/22/ford-kills-clean-sheet-mustang-again.html

• Like 1

What if the '18 mustang was actually a pull forward of options originally planned for the next MCE / product cycle change in 2020.

See, I could imagine Ford having one plan for Mustang in 2014 and then having to change it all thanks to Alpha based Gen 6 Camaro

I think it's possible that there's something to S650 being rolled into CD6 (it is a logical supposition based on the rumors about CD6), but thinking that would result in "massive design staff layoffs" is sheer idiocy. It's not like Mustang had a dedicated design team, but even if it did, you'd still need the Mustang designers to design the Mustang, regardless of the underlying platform.

I think it's possible that there's something to S650 being rolled into CD6 (it is a logical supposition based on the rumors about CD6), but thinking that would result in "massive design staff layoffs" is sheer idiocy. It's not like Mustang had a dedicated design team, but even if it did, you'd still need the Mustang designers to design the Mustang, regardless of the underlying platform.

Ford is trying to condense designing and engineering, mostly to eliminate redundancy (or so they claim), so 1500 designers (or whatever the number was) being laid off is probably a possibility. Theyre also outsourcing less of that work to suppliers and sending more of it to Ford teams around the world. India is turning into a big design and IT hub for them.

Ford is trying to condense designing and engineering, mostly to eliminate redundancy (or so they claim), so 1500 designers (or whatever the number was) being laid off is probably a possibility. Theyre also outsourcing less of that work to suppliers and sending more of it to Ford teams around the world. India is turning into a big design and IT hub for them.

If by designers you mean stylists, the people who draw the cars, I doubt Ford has 1,500 designers world-wide.

They may be trying to condense design and engineering, but to think that consolidating S650 and CD6 would lead to major layoffs (the point to which I was responding) is just foolishness.

You guys really think Dave Pericak is really gonna let Ford go very far off track? Ran Nair? No way! These guys are going to let their hard work go down the drain.

Ford flounders sometimes but they always find a way.

I don't think Dave has a say about the Mustang any more.......

"Dave Pericak, the head of Ford Performance who was instrumental in developing the GT supercar and Raptor performance pickup, has moved to a new role within Ford Motor Co. overseeing engineering of more mainstream products. Pericak, 46, this month became engineering director of Ford's North American unibody applications, according to a Ford spokesman. His LinkedIn profile also says he'll work on Lincoln programs"

Edited by coupe3w

Engineers create the parts that engineers test.

This is what I thought too. Designers, to me, are stylists, the people who draw the cars and trucks. Engineers are the people who create engines, transmissions, chassis, etc.

Maybe there is an official SAE description for a designer. I don't know.

This is what I thought too. Designers, to me, are stylists, the people who draw the cars and trucks. Engineers are the people who create engines, transmissions, chassis, etc.

Maybe there is an official SAE description for a designer. I don't know.

Designers do drawings. Engineers build vehicles.

Designers do drawings. Engineers build vehicles.

My Dad is a designer. A lot of what he does is make drawings of parts. Hes not in body CAD or anything like that. He spent years on instrument panels, then at Roush did a lot of fascia work. Did a lot on the 2005 GT and the last GT500 come to think of it. Moved on from there and spent years doing weather seals and now is doing whatever is sent his way.

Sidebar: it was super cool as a middle schooler getting to see a prototype GT. Before they removed the Gurney bump that was originally supposed to make production but was removed.

• Like 1

Ugh, designers and engineers do drawings. Fuzzy and Pioneer (and others) build vehicles.

Technically Pioneer keeps the equipment running that allows Fuzzy to build the vehicles, but you’re right about engineers doing drawings.

What I meant was designers deal with aesthetics while engineers create the parts that make the vehicle actually work. It’s like someone who only does GUI design versus the coders that actually make the webpages work.

My Dad is a designer. A lot of what he does is make drawings of parts. Hes not in body CAD or anything like that. He spent years on instrument panels, then at Roush did a lot of fascia work. Did a lot on the 2005 GT and the last GT500 come to think of it.

So here is the difference.

Who decides the size and function of the part and what it’s made of? Does someone else do that and give him the info and he does drawings? If so then he’s a designer. If he does all than then I say he’s an engineer.

Or to use a house analogy - designers are interior decorators. Engineers are architects and line workers are carpenters.

Sidebar: it was super cool as a middle schooler getting to see a prototype GT. Before they removed the Gurney bump that was originally supposed to make production but was removed.

Very cool story. Reminds me when I was a kid back in the 60's (the "Total Performance" era). My dad, who was an engineer in engine design, snuck us into the experimental garage during a "family day" on the Ford campus. Sitting in one bay was a Fairlane Thunderbolt, complete with a 427 SOHC engine. My brother and I about crapped our pants.

• Like 2