Waze App coming to Sync 3

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2018/01/10/waze-brings-community-based-traffic-and-navigation-app-to-ford-v.html

• Ford and Waze are teaming up at CES 2018 to announce the popular community-based traffic and navigation app will be available for Ford vehicles equipped with SYNC® 3
  • Waze users will soon be able to plug their smartphones into a SYNC 3-enabled Ford vehicle and project the app directly onto its touch screen
  • Through AppLink, Ford is integrating Waze’s array of features with SYNC 3 infotainment system, allowing users to operate Waze completely through a vehicle’s touch screen as well as with voice commands

Hallelujah!!!!! I am so sick of having to use my phone for navigation. Apple maps is horrible and always takes the worst way. I wonder what version of sync will support this.

I am actually going to have to take my car to the dealer to get sync 3 upgraded this weekend. Let's just say that wi-fi updates and even the manual USB upgrade process isn't working (this coming from an IT guy).

Now all they have to do is allow you to use the car's nav system (or at least the option to do so) instead of terrible Apple Maps whenever you just plug your phone in....

I thought the main reason to use Carplay was to use phone navigation. If you have OEM Nav what would you use carplay for?

I thought the main reason to use Carplay was to use phone navigation. If you have OEM Nav what would you use carplay for?

So that you can use Siri/have messages read to you and respond via voice commands. I hate apple maps, but would use car play for messages. And if you use Google maps on your phone, it won't pull up any map info on the screen (just voice prompts), but you then would have to open the only option - apple maps - just to see a map on your screen even if using Google maps......and further more, when you open Apple maps on the car's screen, it opens on the phone, so you can't have google maps open for directions and look at the map on the nav screen at the same time. That's why I hate that feature, and want the ability to choose whether I want to use apple maps or the car's nav system.

To my knowledge, you also can't plug in (via USB) to the car without engaging Apple Maps either.

Edited by rmc523
  • Like 2

Guys - you don't need carplay to engage Siri for texting. I have notifications turned on so it reads me incoming text messages. Press and hold the voice button for 3 seconds and it engages Siri. You can then use Siri commands including sending text messages. I use it all the time.

• Like 1

Guys - you don't need carplay to engage Siri for texting. I have notifications turned on so it reads me incoming text messages. Press and hold the voice button for 3 seconds and it engages Siri. You can then use Siri commands including sending text messages. I use it all the time.

I don't have SYNC3/Car Play.....so I'm going off of my experience with it occasionally in my dad's truck and the Fusion rental I had at Thanksgiving.

So when a message comes in, you have to push a button then go through siri commands and tell it to read your message, then it reads it? Isn't the carplay version faster?

---

Regardless, though, if you want to plug in to charge, CarPlay takes over the whole system.

You get direct control of audio apps (Pandora/Amazon Music/etc.) plus other apps that are enabled for use with CarPlay (which there aren't many yet).

So that you can use Siri/have messages read to you and respond via voice commands. I hate apple maps, but would use car play for messages. And if you use Google maps on your phone, it won't pull up any map info on the screen (just voice prompts), but you then would have to open the only option - apple maps - just to see a map on your screen even if using Google maps......and further more, when you open Apple maps on the car's screen, it opens on the phone, so you can't have google maps open for directions and look at the map on the nav screen at the same time. That's why I hate that feature, and want the ability to choose whether I want to use apple maps or the car's nav system.

To my knowledge, you also can't plug in (via USB) to the car without engaging Apple Maps either.

You have to disable CarPlay to allow you to plug in your phone and use the built in nav instead of Apple Maps.

I do to, but it's much more seamless and just plain better through CarPlay.

I have an Android phone (no service, WiFi only) that I use for gauges in my truck. I used Android Auto, and it is SLOOOOOW compared to CarPlay. What I like about AA is that it allows you to choose your maps app of choice (Waze/G Maps). I was experimenting with it mostly to try Waze on a recent trip, but it was too slow to even use. I can't wait to have Waze enabled through apps so that I can use it for nav and still have all my normal Sync 3 functionality since it doesn't go through CarPlay (here's looking at you outside temp!).

• Like 1

Regardless, though, if you want to plug in to charge, CarPlay takes over the whole system.

Well, you can always get back to the Sync screen. Scroll to the right in CarPlay and hit the Ford (or is it Sync?) icon and it will take you back to the main Sync screen. However, you can't overcome the Maps selection for nav unless you disable CarPlay.

You have to disable CarPlay to allow you to plug in your phone and use the built in nav instead of Apple Maps.

Well, that defeats the purpose of having car play haha. Guess you can't win!

Well, you can always get back to the Sync screen. Scroll to the right in CarPlay and hit the Ford (or is it Sync?) icon and it will take you back to the main Sync screen. However, you can't overcome the Maps selection for nav unless you disable CarPlay.

Yup, correct. You just lose your maps functionality. I think it's a Ford Logo that says "Ford SYNC" or something like that under it.

• Like 1

I don't have SYNC3/Car Play.....so I'm going off of my experience with it occasionally in my dad's truck and the Fusion rental I had at Thanksgiving.

So when a message comes in, you have to push a button then go through siri commands and tell it to read your message, then it reads it? Isn't the carplay version faster?

---

Both MFT and Sync 3 will read the text messages automatically (without going through Siri). You just have to turn on notifications in the bluetooth connection. MFT/Sync 3 alerts you to the text and will read it to you. To respond you simply press and hold the voice button until Siri responds, then you say "text <person>", dictate the message and say send it.

And that works with just the bluetooth connection with or without it being plugged into USB. You can use the USB connection without engaging CarPlay.

• 1 month later...