Waze App coming to Sync 3

Also helps drivers call out cops in spots and such, that's mainly the reason I use it for.

That's mainly why I use it. It comes up with some particularly stupid routes at times--f'rinstance, it's apparently allergic to an intersection near my house, as it tries to make me drive 3.25 miles to avoid going 3/4 of a mile--but it is pretty good for marking speed traps and construction.

So you are saying it may not be best for use while towing a 32' fifth wheel?

If you have a Waze account and can edit the route (I don't), it would probably be fine. It does come up with some decent routes on its own, it's just has these quirks along my normal routes.

Edited by SoonerLS
  • Like 1

If you have a Waze account and can edit the route (I don't), it would probably be fine. It does come up with some decent routes on its own, it's just has these quirks along my normal routes.

Yeah, but I don't want to have to go through the entire route and check everything. I have an RV navigation system that allows me to enter vehicle height and it will route around low overpasses and such. I'm hoping that's coming to GMaps, Apple Maps, or Waze some time soon so that I can ditch the second GPS on long trips.

They can pretty much all do that now. I think even the Ford nav system can assuming you have the Sirius Travel Link or whatever it's called.

Mine doesn't route around accidents, but does show (on major roads) how traffic is with light blue, yellow, and red arrows next to the road depending on traffic. Granted, mine is from 2009, so it may route around them now.

Mine doesn't route around accidents, but does show (on major roads) how traffic is with light blue, yellow, and red arrows next to the road depending on traffic. Granted, mine is from 2009, so it may route around them now.

Well, it doesn't so much route around accidents as it does traffic. I'm pretty sure the one in my truck does (unless I'm confused with the Garmin). Something like: "Due to traffic, we found another route that is 10 minutes quicker."

Well, it doesn't so much route around accidents as it does traffic. I'm pretty sure the one in my truck does (unless I'm confused with the Garmin). Something like: "Due to traffic, we found another route that is 10 minutes quicker."

Hm, maybe the new ones do that. I haven't really driven my dad's truck with navigation on to know.

Another benefit to Waze is that it can tell you when to leave based on your desired arrival time, and it can remind you when it's time to leave. That's something I find particularly useful when I know how to get somewhere, but don't know what the traffic is like between here and there.

Waze

^ it's the one infuriating neighborhoods by sending commuter traffic-avoiders down formerly-quiet side streets

ought be good for dragging Fomoco into a number of class-action lawsuits

:thumbsup:

​When you use State and Federal road money the routes are for anyone that pays into that system assuming their vehicle meets the class of vehicle the road was designed for. Basically if you don't want the public to use the road, you need to make the road private and not accept federal/state/local funds for it. There have been many tickets thrown out for people using side streets to avoid traffic even after city's have tried to stop it, just because you see a sign doesn't mean the sign is there legally, they also are done for political pressure even if it isn't legal. Putting up a "residents only" sign is illegal if public funds were used for the road and the term "local traffic" is so broad that it includes almost everything. Now if you're driving on a private road that is totally different as you are trespassing unless there were agreements with the city/township/county/parish allowing for public use.

​I use Waze all the time, it will take you down side streets and it will also take you though some sketchy parts of town to avoid the traffic, however it is amazing how fast it can get you around places like LA and Chicago at rush hour. It is also done in real time and updates considerably faster than in vehicle system.

​Patrolling subdivisions/side/local streets go something like this.

​Resident of XXX street "mayor, people are driving really fast down my street they need to be ticketed, children are going to DIE!!!!!!!!"
​mayor "I will talk to the police chief and have a traffic detail posted"
​Police Chief "mayor we have launched a 0 tolerance on street XXX and have written 15 tickets for speeding in the past 3 hours"
​Resident "WTF mayor myself and 13 of my neighbors got a ticket on street XXX today, you should only give tickets to the non residents speeding we live here!!!"
​Mayor "I will talk to the police Chief"
​Police Chief "we will suspend targeted enforcement"

• Like 1

​When you use State and Federal road money the routes are for anyone that pays into that system assuming their vehicle meets the class of vehicle the road was designed for. Basically if you don't want the public to use the road, you need to make the road private and not accept federal/state/local funds for it. There have been many tickets thrown out for people using side streets to avoid traffic even after city's have tried to stop it, just because you see a sign doesn't mean the sign is there legally, they also are done for political pressure even if it isn't legal. Putting up a "residents only" sign is illegal if public funds were used for the road and the term "local traffic" is so broad that it includes almost everything. Now if you're driving on a private road that is totally different as you are trespassing unless there were agreements with the city/township/county/parish allowing for public use.

Most of the complaints (at least those reported in the media) are about the volume of traffic making it difficult to get in and out of the driveways as traffic is being rerouted along those residential streets. In addition to putting up "local traffic only" signs (which are of questionable effectiveness and legality), some of them are converting the streets to one-way during the major commute times.

Locally, my city has been putting "speed humps" (like speed bumps, but about 10-12 feet wide) on the residential streets that have been used as makeshift bypasses, but they've been doing that for well over a decade, and more to slow people down than to force them back on to the primary/arterial streets. They don't bother me, but I also don't speed through residential areas.

I also don't have a whole lot of sympathy for people complaining about traffic on their streets, seeing as how I live on a 50mph section road where people routinely drive faster than that. (A local cop said he has frequently clocked people at 60mph coming over the hill on the south side of my place.)

I use Waze almost every day. It's very helpful in Chicago were traffic patterns quickly change during the day. It has a lot of features (cops, road hazard, pothole warnings) that I like. I tend to make better time than using google maps. Apple maps is damn near unusable, taking the slowest most scenic route every time. I need to get my applink running right with my phone and I will be using this every day. Looking forward to it!

That's mainly why I use it. It comes up with some particularly stupid routes at times--f'rinstance, it's apparently allergic to an intersection near my house, as it tries to make me drive 3.25 miles to avoid going 3/4 of a mile--but it is pretty good for marking speed traps and construction.

Funny thing you mention this-I have Google Maps and Waze on my phone-use Waze 99% of the time and while driving different routes to/from work-there is a traffic circle that both routed me through when there is a by-pass street less then 1/2 mile from it. I started taking it, and both of them have updated that route I take now as the fastest route to get to my job.

I generally know my way around town thanks to my old job, but when I do need directions Im that guy who still uses Apple maps that came on my phone. I dont get why people hate it so much, its never given me a single problem.

The few times Ive used it, its gotten me lost and had me halfway across town.

The few times Ive used it, its gotten me lost and had me halfway across town.

+1. Once when in San Diego and it told us to follow along a road to our hotel. Got to the end of the road and it was a cliff with barricades. Hotel was on the continuation of the street down below. Took 20 minutes to get there, Waze had it covered.

+1. Once when in San Diego and it told us to follow along a road to our hotel. Got to the end of the road and it was a cliff with barricades. Hotel was on the continuation of the street down below. Took 20 minutes to get there, Waze had it covered.

I just hate that Apple maps takes over the car's nav system when you plug your phone in. Same would apply to this Waze usage in the car - wouldn't be able to look at it if you plug your phone in (at least with the USB port in the center console)

I just hate that Apple maps takes over the car's nav system when you plug your phone in. Same would apply to this Waze usage in the car - wouldn't be able to look at it if you plug your phone in (at least with the USB port in the center console)

I didn’t think Applink took over like CarPlay does, but I’m not 100% sure.

I didn’t think Applink took over like CarPlay does, but I’m not 100% sure.

I've never used it. But my point was, whenever you plug in an iphone (to the front USB ports), Carplay automatically takes over, whether you want to use applink or whatever or not, though I do think you can change this setting.

Agreed! And if you have a route programmed in and plug your phone in, if CarPlay comes up, it will wipe out the destination you had programmed in the factory nav.