Waze App coming to Sync 3

Yes, you can disable CarPlay.

I know. I mentioned that in my previous post.

I like the features of CarPlay - mostly the messaging functions, but the nav override sucks.

My point was with Applink it might not disable the built-in Nav like carplay does making it easier to switch back and forth or do other things. But I'm not sure exactly how applink works.

Honestly, I had to look up what Applink even was.

You don’t need carplay for messaging. I use it all the time.

Press and hold the voice button for 3 seconds and you can talk directly to Siri.

“Send a text message to so-and-so”

“What would you like to say?”

“I’ll be late for dinner”

“You message says “I’ll be late for dinner” - ready to send it?”

“Send it”

“Ok I’ll send it.”

A New Jersey suburb is giving tickets to "cut through" traffic, unless they have a transponder. If you live on a residential street, you don't want speeding cutters.

Also, isn't city living about being "car free", millennials?

Hahahhahaha

NJ has the highest population density in the US-but yet outside of going to/commuting NYC, Mass transit is useless (IMO). Years ago, Newark had a good bus system according to my parents (both at/near 70 now)- but now the vast majority is a shithole.

I have a friend who lives in Hoboken, just outside of NYC, which hipster/millienial central (he's in his early 40s) and there are still a ton of cars on the road. His apartment complex has a huge parking garage that its part of with tons of high end cars in it-He drives a Honda and his wife has an Acura that is a civic.

You don’t need carplay for messaging. I use it all the time.

Press and hold the voice button for 3 seconds and you can talk directly to Siri.

“Send a text message to so-and-so”

“What would you like to say?”

“I’ll be late for dinner”

“You message says “I’ll be late for dinner” - ready to send it?”

“Send it”

“Ok I’ll send it.”

Hm. Didn't realize that - does it read them too?

Sync reads them like it normally does with notifications turned on.

The Siri pass through may only work on MyFordTouch and Sync 3 though.

I didn't know SYNC would do that. Mine doesn't read text messages or anything (doesn't work with iPhones on my generation of SYNC), so I'm new to its capability.

I didn't know SYNC would do that. Mine doesn't read text messages or anything (doesn't work with iPhones on my generation of SYNC), so I'm new to its capability.

Our 2008 Edge read text messages. Next time you're connected, clock on the i next to the sync bluetooth connection on the phone and turn on notifications.

The Siri pass through may only work on MyFordTouch and Sync 3 though.

It doesn't work on my F-150 with basic Sync, although saying "hey Siri" will normally work. (I normally have my iPhone plugged in and on a magnetic mount next to the radio while I'm driving.)

One thing I miss when I'm driving my folks' Flex is being able to press the OK button on the steering wheel to get it to pause/resume whatever is playing. It's a kind of an annoyance to have to go to the Audio menu then hit the play/pause button on the screen.

It doesn't work on my F-150 with basic Sync, although saying "hey Siri" will normally work. (I normally have my iPhone plugged in and on a magnetic mount next to the radio while I'm driving.)

One thing I miss when I'm driving my folks' Flex is being able to press the OK button on the steering wheel to get it to pause/resume whatever is playing. It's a kind of an annoyance to have to go to the Audio menu then hit the play/pause button on the screen.

Apparently they broke Siri Eyes Free with the sync 4.6 upgrade. Some were able to roll back to 4.4 and get it to work others have not. Very strange.

Apparently they broke Siri Eyes Free with the sync 4.6 upgrade. Some were able to roll back to 4.4 and get it to work others have not. Very strange.

4.6 replaced 4.4's boring old bugs with exciting new bugs. I think they screwed up the Bluetooth profile; it screwed up the voice interface with my Windows Phone, and lots of iPhone users had the same problem. I recently got tired of cussing Ford engineers every time I had to pull fuse #2 behind the passenger-side kick panel (4.6 includes a menu entry for rebooting the APIM), so I tried it with my iPhone 7, and so far I haven't had much trouble. I kept the 4.4 installer just in case, though.

Edited by SoonerLS

Our 2008 Edge read text messages. Next time you're connected, clock on the i next to the sync bluetooth connection on the phone and turn on notifications.

I've never had it work with iPhones, I don't think they're supported Did you have iPhones at the time?

EDIT:

Just tried it, there's no option for notifications in the i menu you were referring to.

Edited by rmc523

I've never had it work with iPhones, I don't think they're supported Did you have iPhones at the time?

EDIT:

Just tried it, there's no option for notifications in the i menu you were referring to.

Now that you mention it, I think initially it did not work with iphones because we switched from the old style Nokia which did read messages on sync to an iphone and we lost messaging. But we got it back a year or so later.

I wonder if the sync 4.6 update that killed Siri Eyes Free also messed up messaging.

• 1 month later...

So I updated my Sync to 3.0 last night. I did it by USB and it took almost a half hour. One thing I noticed is that Waze still isn't working yet with Applink. Anyone have an ideas when this will start to work? I am wondering if I will have to do another update to Sync or it will just work one day when Waze is updated (shrugs).

So I updated my Sync to 3.0 last night. I did it by USB and it took almost a half hour. One thing I noticed is that Waze still isn't working yet with Applink. Anyone have an ideas when this will start to work? I am wondering if I will have to do another update to Sync or it will just work one day when Waze is updated (shrugs).

Make sure you have the latest version of Sync (sounds like you did).

Make sure you have the latest version of Waze.

Turn off CarPlay (disable for your phone).

Ensure Waze is running and in the foreground on your phone. This step is important because it won't pick it up if Waze is not the app running in the foreground on your phone.

Connect via USB.

Go to the Apps section and it should show up.

I have used it several times over the past couple weeks and it works great. Well, outside of that one instance where it told me my phone was not a recognized USB device and I had to shut down the truck and restart to get it to work with ANY apps. I can use Waze and Pandora apps at the same time, but Waze MUST be in the foreground for it to show up on the Sync screen.

Make sure you have the latest version of Sync (sounds like you did).

Make sure you have the latest version of Waze.

Turn off CarPlay (disable for your phone).

Ensure Waze is running and in the foreground on your phone. This step is important because it won't pick it up if Waze is not the app running in the foreground on your phone.

Connect via USB.

Go to the Apps section and it should show up.

I have used it several times over the past couple weeks and it works great. Well, outside of that one instance where it told me my phone was not a recognized USB device and I had to shut down the truck and restart to get it to work with ANY apps. I can use Waze and Pandora apps at the same time, but Waze MUST be in the foreground for it to show up on the Sync screen.

So you have to turn off car play and back on for it to work?

Or you're saying it doesn't work through car play?