2019 Ford Edge Discussion (merged posts)

Isn’t Ford taking a chance by offering only a turbo in the 2019 Edge? Your opinions.

Not really-generally speaking Ecoboost engines haven't been all that more problematic then NA engines.

My experience with them (3.5L and 2.0L) is that they are far better drivers then NA engines

Isn’t Ford taking a chance by offering only a turbo in the 2019 Edge? Your opinions.

I can't understand why. Today, most of the new vehicles are turning to either all or most turbo engines.

My 2013 Explorer Sport currently has 83K miles on it, and the engine has been flawless. I have had to replace the electronic shifter (wouldn't read park, and is a known issue with those years) battery and maintenance, and that is all. It is still a blast to drive, and short of the transmission, I love pretty much everything about it. The 6-speed has never been fabulous, and I have noticed as it has aged it is more mediocre than it was. But still, no issues. Even the interior and all of the electronics have worked great.

Frankly, I couldn't ask for a better vehicle. We will probably keep it forever. I don't even have a door ding.

It is funny, because I have not been on in a while. The discussion about resale on Super Duty trucks is spot on. Our 2008 V10 F250 4x4 CrewCab Lariat has 92K miles on it. It is in excellent condition, and is an AZ truck. We could sell it today, for $25-26K. We paid $38,500. Amazing.

• Like 1

Once you go turbo, you don't go back :)

The way things are going, most of the Edge buyers in the next few years will be trading in something with a turbo (I'm guessing smaller CUV or midsize cars e.g. something like Escape. CR-V, Fusion, or Accord). So lack of a slow poke non-turbo option is not as big of a deal as say 3 or 4 years ago when a decent amount of Edge buyers were trading in non-turbo vehicles and may be resistant to the idea of a smaller turbo charged engine.

Edited by bzcat

My 2013 Explorer Sport currently has 83K miles on it, and the engine has been flawless. I have had to replace the electronic shifter (wouldn't read park, and is a known issue with those years) battery and maintenance, and that is all. It is still a blast to drive, and short of the transmission, I love pretty much everything about it. The 6-speed has never been fabulous, and I have noticed as it has aged it is more mediocre than it was.

Wait until you experience the new 3.5LEB with the 10 speed auto. It's amazing and should show up in the next Explorer Sport/ST on the CD6 platform (RWD).

• 3 months later...

I was hoping to have the 2.3 EB as an option to the 2.0 in the 19 Edge. I know the current 2.0 performs better than the 13 version when I opted for the 3.5 in my Edge. I would think Edge Titanium buyers would jump on the 2.3. For those in the know, any idea why Ford chose to keep the 2.3 out of the Edge?

I was hoping to have the 2.3 EB as an option to the 2.0 in the 19 Edge. I know the current 2.0 performs better than the 13 version when I opted for the 3.5 in my Edge. I would think Edge Titanium buyers would jump on the 2.3. For those in the know, any idea why Ford chose to keep the 2.3 out of the Edge?

Manufacturing capacity. Between the Mustang, MKC and now the Ranger starting up here soon the line the 2.3 is built on is going to be very busy for quite a while.