Offical 2019 Ranger thread

Since Ford does build Ranger as single cab/long bed orientation elsewhere in the world, it would be nothing much more than loading the pieces on a transport ship to bring the cab and box over, put it on the NA frame with the NA snout and viola - fleet truck on the cheap!!

maxresdefault.jpg

Chassis cab anyone??

Ford_Ranger_Mk3f_SingleCab_Chassis_XL_20

Adding supply chain complications just for the fleet sale special version of this truck doesn't make a ton of sense. If Ford is going to bring such a package to market, and I agree it seems likely to happen, they're going do it properly just as they have the rest of this truck.

Adding supply chain complications just for the fleet sale special version of this truck doesn't make a ton of sense. If Ford is going to bring such a package to market, and I agree it seems likely to happen, they're going do it properly just as they have the rest of this truck.

what supply chain complications? Its just a few different stampings and all of that is done in house anyway.
  • Like 2

what supply chain complications? Its just a few different stampings and all of that is done in house anyway.

Since Ranger is made at multiple locations around the globe - importing the cab/bed structure should be a snap with eventual manufacture of those items in Michigan one would hope...I see this Ranger as being available in the US market to answer the challenge of Colorado/Canyon and expanding the line going forward.

Edited by twintornados

Since Ranger is made at multiple locations around the globe - importing the cab/bed structure should be a snap with eventual manufacture of those items in Michigan one would hope...I see this Ranger as being available in the US market to answer the challenge of Colorado/Canyon and expanding the line going forward.

They could probably very easily just stamp them at MAP. We already build 4 variations of the same car so it can be done. Plus adding a chassis cab is like nothing since you dont have to stamp a bed out too.
  • Like 1

It wouldn't be just a fleet truck special either. With the old Ranger, the 2wd reg cab XLTs with the 4 banger and stick did a healthy retail business too. They made a great alternative to a focus for a first/cheap new car and got a lot of guys started on the brand that graduated into F-series buyers. I can't imagine why they wouldn't want to go after those same buyers. Again, noting wrong with selling $40k high option crew cabs, but frankly a $40k 4x4 crew isn't going to be cross shopped with a $20k 4 banger reg cab. No reason to not go after both sets of buyers.

Hopefully it'll come after launch some time.

• Like 1

It wouldn't be just a fleet truck special either. With the old Ranger, the 2wd reg cab XLTs with the 4 banger and stick did a healthy retail business too. They made a great alternative to a focus for a first/cheap new car and got a lot of guys started on the brand that graduated into F-series buyers. I can't imagine why they wouldn't want to go after those same buyers. Again, noting wrong with selling $40k high option crew cabs, but frankly a $40k 4x4 crew isn't going to be cross shopped with a $20k 4 banger reg cab. No reason to not go after both sets of buyers.

The reason why is same as the Focus/Fiesta and lesser extent the Fusion...Ford doesn't make $$$ on cheap cars/trucks.

Ford isn't in the business of being a charity.

It wouldn't be just a fleet truck special either. With the old Ranger, the 2wd reg cab XLTs with the 4 banger and stick did a healthy retail business too. They made a great alternative to a focus for a first/cheap new car and got a lot of guys started on the brand that graduated into F-series buyers. I can't imagine why they wouldn't want to go after those same buyers.

I bought one of those - 1990 reg cab short bed 2.3L manual. Because it was dirt cheap ($7995 I think). The problem is there isn't much profit in those kinds of trucks so it's just not a priority. Those buyers can buy a XL supercab w/2.3LEB and 10 speed auto and Ford will make a lot more money.

• Like 2

Ford isn't in the business of being a charity.

Some people just don't understand that selling a vehicle doesn't always equal profit and wasting resources on things that don't generate profit is bad business without some other tangible benefit.

Don't forget GM was #1 in sales when they went bankrupt.

• Like 1

Let's set something straight... the fleet market you guys are talking about doesn't exist.

Toyota stopped selling regular cab Tacoma this year because no one wanted one.

GM didn't even bother.

Nissan also stopped selling regular cab.

Ford has Transit Connect for fleets and it is a superior vehicle for the job for most fleet buyers.

If fleets want to buy extended cab Ranger, Ford will be more than happy to sell it to them just like they will sell an Escape to fleets. But you don't start a business case for a regular cab Ranger by pretending it is 1992. Just remember, Ford didn't bother with a fleet special 2 door Explorer Sporttac either. And as we've discussed before, the new Ranger is essentially a new Sporttrac... a more useful "pickup trucky" one that should have wide retail appeal. Most Tacoma sold are to private use, not fleet use.

Edited by bzcat
  • Like 2

It will sell for sure, but I know where the disappointment stems from....theres still traditionalists ( read anti turbo ) but I feel Ford will adrss that in the future along with more commercial oriented models....the fleet market for these, like it or not is HUGE...so a regular cab IMO WILL be addressed and the coup could be a chassis with a significant payload package.....theres a seriously untapped market there...its basically vacant. I know I for one feel the styling could have been more adventurous along with the interior....but nice looking truck I'll give a 7 out of 10...I'm just worried with the eco-boost being ( currently ) the only choice that the eggs in one basket could have backlash.

• Like 1

They could probably very easily just stamp them at MAP. We already build 4 variations of the same car so it can be done. Plus adding a chassis cab is like nothing since you dont have to stamp a bed out too.

For sure. In particular, is the cab back panel the same on Super and Crew? So you need another roof panel right?

Hopefully it'll come after launch some time.

It would be unique-and the only option for someone who truly wants a very basic pick up

I bought one of those - 1990 reg cab short bed 2.3L manual. Because it was dirt cheap ($7995 I think). The problem is there isn't much profit in those kinds of trucks so it's just not a priority. Those buyers can buy a XL supercab w/2.3LEB and 10 speed auto and Ford will make a lot more money.

Again, with my stockholder hat on, I totally understand "profitability". But what about "economy of scale"? At some point in time, the market will change and not everyone will want a loaded 4 door truck. What do you sell then? Not much IMO. And we are NOT talking about a lot of engineering expense I would think. Its NOT like adding two more doors to the truck.

The "bug killers", auto parts stores etc that survive by throwing two tailpipes and a couple of mufflers and a box of clamps in the back of a truck and sending their 10 buck an hour kid out the door to deliver it to the local garage in the next two hours need this kind of truck.

And back to the "economy of scale" issue, while agreeing that you make more money on every over priced option, I say every non -optioned truck helps spread the fixed cost of running the plant-in particular if you have room in the production schedule.

bzcat...I work hand in hand with Fleet companies...there most definitely IS an in tapped fleet market. Cut content back to basics...ie std and Supercab only, sync, windows locks and A/c...just like the F150 and Superduty equivilents. Vinyl interior, and heck , how about you can buy it in any color as long as its white. As for using the Escape as an example...the S is aimed squarely at Fleet and low budget buyers....heck, even its lease residuals and money factors reflect that ( the S numbers on a lease are basically the same as an SE with more equipment ) as for the Sprt-trac...that , what 4 1/2 foot bed was useless and the vehicle was overpriced and ONLY avail as a Crew cab....it TOO was aimed solely at Retail....

Edited by Deanh

Good for Ford if they deliberately avoid fleet sales with new U.S. market Ranger. They need to be disciplined with that. Full size pickup trucks are overkill for lots of regular consumers. These folks just want a truck well suited for personal use. Ford should not have any problem selling every new Ranger they make in the U.S. to retail consumers.

This will be my next truck when I retire my '04 Ranger in a couple years. Thank you Ford for not dumbing the Ranger down for Americans and for using a steel bed. :thumbsup:

Let's not get into this debate again.

My '04 Ranger is very similar to your '90. I got a long bed (118" WB) XL, 2.3L Mazda engine, manual transmission.

Ranger XL Supercab with the turbo 2.3L automatic is what I have in mind for my next truck. Hopefully the sticker price will be less than $25k.

I like it. Looks much better than I expected from the camo'ed photos. I'll take mine as a 4x4 in true red - towing package for camper, with classic brushed alloy wheels, as I just can't get on board with the black wheel trend. NO power moon, sun, panoramic or whatever you want to call it - not on mine! NO leather! Give me a nice super durable and easy to clean high-tech synthetic interior in black. Every 2.3 Mustang owner I have ever spoke with absolutely raves about that engine: 300+ hp 350 lbs/ft. One guy I spoke with in the parking lot at Murdoch's after I complemented his Mustang was gushing with joy! He said it dyno'ed at 340hp with two simple after market mods.I think the performance of this truck will surprise a lot of folks, and the after market is already there for the Ranger engine with the current Mustang.

Edited by Kev-Mo

It will sell for sure, but I know where the disappointment stems from....theres still traditionalists ( read anti turbo ) but I feel Ford will adrss that in the future along with more commercial oriented models....the fleet market for these, like it or not is HUGE...so a regular cab IMO WILL be addressed and the coup could be a chassis with a significant payload package.....theres a seriously untapped market there...its basically vacant. I know I for one feel the styling could have been more adventurous along with the interior....but nice looking truck I'll give a 7 out of 10...I'm just worried with the eco-boost being ( currently ) the only choice that the eggs in one basket could have backlash.

It's hard to say there is a huge market and it's vacant when the reason it's vacant is nobody else could sell them. I didn't realize GM and Toyota stopped making RCs. In that case I don't see a need for one.

• Like 1

At some point in time, the market will change and not everyone will want a loaded 4 door truck. What do you sell then?

You sell XL supercabs if that's all that's available. Or Transit Connects. The XL Supercab Ranger should still be smaller and cheaper with better fuel economy than a F150 XL RC.
  • Like 1

Akirby....Ive been contacted by several clients ( basically commercial ) asking about the Ranger work trucks...the Toyotas, Nissans etc were too light duty...sag central. The market is empty right now...but its till there IMO IF its done right....1 wheelbase, two cab configurations or chassis only, one engine ( 2.5 or small 6 )...and NO options...build it one way and one way only and one color. Want a different color...wrap it. The TC works , to an extent, but cant really tow, payloads "ok" and if anything needs to be carried that's tall youre dead in the water...and some just outright prefer trucks to vans.

Met the lovely Linda for lunch today, she works for phone company....these are all over the place in my area...so, yeah, single cab, long bed fleet sales are still alive and well...and, yes...it is 4X2...

But that’s a full sized truck, not a mid sized truck.