Offical 2019 Ranger thread

It rides up and over. There isn’t room inside. That’s the main difference.

I thought this was the case until I was looking at the Expedition order guide. They list it as the Vista Roof and in videos where they open it, the front can be seen going below the rear panel. I know it opened up and over on both the 2007 MKX and the 2012 MKT that I had.

Edited by MKX1960

I am on Facebook and on the Autoblog page. I just seen an article of theirs show up in my newsfeeds regarding the Ranger. Seems like they caught a camouflaged Ranger testing its new diesel engine. The writer of the article seems to be uneducated about Ford since he mentions the possibility of the 3.2L Powerstroke diesel being used. Seems he wasn't aware that Ford recently unveiled the Ranger Raptor in Thailand with new 2.0L diesel I4 engine which may or may not be used in the Ranger after the initial 2019 model year. Ford did say the 2.3L EB I4 would be the sole engine for 2019 so this truck being tested is possibly the 2020 edition. Anyone hear about possible diesel engine being actually offered for Ranger? I would guess so since it's a given but would have to be at least for the 2020 model year or after.

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/02/20/2019-ford-ranger-wildtrak-diesel-spy-shots/

All I can tell you, Is there was a ROW Ranger inside of MAP today. 2.2L 6 speed manual left hand drive. It had with it the two NA prototypes built onsite not long ago (Crew and extended). And a Colorado Z71 on the other side of the room. Fuzzy get to the event center early! lol

Edited by wildosvt

I am on Facebook and on the Autoblog page. I just seen an article of theirs show up in my newsfeeds regarding the Ranger. Seems like they caught a camouflaged Ranger testing its new diesel engine. The writer of the article seems to be uneducated about Ford since he mentions the possibility of the 3.2L Powerstroke diesel being used. Seems he wasn't aware that Ford recently unveiled the Ranger Raptor in Thailand with new 2.0L diesel I4 engine which may or may not be used in the Ranger after the initial 2019 model year. Ford did say the 2.3L EB I4 would be the sole engine for 2019 so this truck being tested is possibly the 2020 edition. Anyone hear about possible diesel engine being actually offered for Ranger? I would guess so since it's a given but would have to be at least for the 2020 model year or after.

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/02/20/2019-ford-ranger-wildtrak-diesel-spy-shots/

Well the new 2.0L diesel is coming to America for the 2020 model in something (as seen in that leaked 2020 model year oil chart) and I bet it’s just for the Ranger. That’s my 2 cents!
  • Like 1

Well the new 2.0L diesel is coming to America for the 2020 model in something (as seen in that leaked 2020 model year oil chart) and I bet its just for the Ranger. Thats my 2 cents!

If it makes it to the Ranger, it wont be until MY2021 when (if jpd is correct) its all new. My money is on it first showing up in the Escape, after all, GM put a diesel in the new Equinox.

If it makes it to the Ranger, it wont be until MY2021 when (if jpd is correct) its all new. My money is on it first showing up in the Escape, after all, GM put a diesel in the new Equinox.

You mean the all-new next generation Ranger is already set to come out for the 2021 model year? Kinda seem odd to do the update 2019 and 2020 and then re-tool MAP to start production of the all-new one for 2021. I figured 2022 or 2023. I wouldn't be surprised if 2024 but 2021 already? I wonder if that's the case, how it would effect the Bronco? I guess the Bronco would stay the same for awhile until switching over to the next gen Ranger basis. Hopefully the next Ranger would be all aluminum like F-Series big brother. I do think the diesel will be in Escape also however it would likely be same diesel that's going to the Transit Connect, the 1.5L that is. I won't be surprised the 2.0L diesel would also go to the updated big Transit van.

You mean the all-new next generation Ranger is already set to come out for the 2021 model year? Kinda seem odd to do the update 2019 and 2020 and then re-tool MAP to start production of the all-new one for 2021. I figured 2022 or 2023. I wouldn't be surprised if 2024 but 2021 already? I wonder if that's the case, how it would effect the Bronco? I guess the Bronco would stay the same for awhile until switching over to the next gen Ranger basis. Hopefully the next Ranger would be all aluminum like F-Series big brother. I do think the diesel will be in Escape also however it would likely be same diesel that's going to the Transit Connect, the 1.5L that is. I won't be surprised the 2.0L diesel would also go to the updated big Transit van.

Theres strong rumbling that the Bronco has been delayed but nobody seems to know why or for how long.

I have heard rumors of the Bronco's delay and didn't think anything of it. But seeing how you work there (or used to since you were laid off with possibility of coming back), and you know people who work there, I'll take your word over rumors what you say. I guess it is true of delay and now makes sense as to possibility of why if the next Ranger is already to come out for 2021 model year. Makes sense to just wait until then to do the Bronco based on that next Ranger. It may be frustrating for the purists like me to have to wait but I would rather they wait and get it right as well as on next Ranger if that's the case. Also, I recall some here saying the proposals were rejected and apparently the higher ups just couldn't be happy with the Bronco team's progress. Correct me if I'm wrong and I mean no disrespect with what I say as I do sometimes use wrong choice of words but do hear of problems getting the higher ranks to approve the design. Do you know if Ranger will indeed be all aluminum for next one or at least more aluminum-intense compared to the 2019. Sorry for my questions since I know you can't really say.

Oh that's good you haven't been laid off. I thought you were or it could have been that you will be once production of Focus ends. I do like idea of Ford trucks being aluminum-made for light weight advantage along with strength, consistency for marketing-purposes, etc. Otherwise, the midsize Ranger will be quite heavy with steel compared to larger aluminum F-150. But I suppose Ford won't need to go all-aluminum if they can figure out how to cut out unnecessary weight.

Hypothetical here as I have no proof to support but,

just imagine that Bronco builds upon what's been done with Ranger raptor in terms of chassis and suspension upgrades

that watts link rear set up with outboard springs and shocks giving Bronco that real credibility as an off road performar

that sets it completely apart form the run of the mill global ranger and Everest. That could be something truly unique

and perfect for Ford to capture a big slice of that off road oriented buyer segment.

Here's a great article on development of the Ranger Raptor.....https://www.4x4australia.com.au/reviews/road-tests/1802/2019-ford-ranger-raptor-development-program

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 5

So Ford of Europe just announced the updated 2019 Edge and it gets this new 2.0L diesel so it’s not just for RWD/ trucks, and opens up more possibilities of what may use it stateside come 2020.

I’d expect the new Escape to use the 1.5L diesel though.

So Ford of Europe just announced the updated 2019 Edge and it gets this new 2.0L diesel so it’s not just for RWD/ trucks, and opens up more possibilities of what may use it stateside come 2020.

I’d expect the new Escape to use the 1.5L diesel though.

I, too, would expect the next Escape to get the same 1.5L diesel that's going in the 2019 Transit Connect. I think the 2.0L diesel is likely coming here in America for the 2019 Ford Transit big van refresh, though nothing announced yet regarding the Transit refresh. I do think it's coming considering the TC refresh and the fact that the T has been the same since 2015.

this is strange to me as I envisage Diesels going bye bye and really soon. The Germans are all pursuing hybrids and electrification which, I hate to say, may be Diesels killer......seems this is a potentially dubious endeavor no?...

Maybe but I wouldn't think so. Just as long they can get the emissions to hit the EPA requirements without cheats I think there will be a market for diesels here. Also, diesel prices don't spike much higher than regular gas.

this is strange to me as I envisage Diesels going bye bye and really soon. The Germans are all pursuing hybrids and electrification which, I hate to say, may be Diesels killer......seems this is a potentially dubious endeavor no?...

Ford has just developed all new Panther Ecoblue diesels in 1.5 and 2.0 liter capacities to replace a lot of aging PSA and Puma engines

An all aluminum head and block tells me that Ford is still serious about Diesel ED but thinking smarter....

• Like 2

Oh that's good you haven't been laid off. I thought you were or it could have been that you will be once production of Focus ends. I do like idea of Ford trucks being aluminum-made for light weight advantage along with strength, consistency for marketing-purposes, etc. Otherwise, the midsize Ranger will be quite heavy with steel compared to larger aluminum F-150. But I suppose Ford won't need to go all-aluminum if they can figure out how to cut out unnecessary weight.

Ranger stays steel as it still on existing T6 platform although upgraded.

Ranger is mostly sold with diesels in the ROW, it's unfortunate that these heavier weights are flung about in a clumsy

attempt to make Ranger look bad in comparison with Colorado and others but with similar configuration and engines,

the Ranger is actually similar weight or slightly lighter than Colorado....

Weight does factor on fuel economy but so does frontal cross section, in all things, balance. :)

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 2

If Escape is getting diesel, it will be the 1.5.

The 2.0 is replacing 3.2 so it is going in Transit for sure. I wouldn't rue out Edge, Bronco, and Ranger as well.

• Like 2