F150 Door Latch Inoperative Issue

firecadet613

I'm surprised no one has brought this up on this forum - it seems to be a widespread issue. Doors failing to unlock and/or the latch freezing up in the open position causing the doors failing to latch.

Not the weatherstripping getting frozen to the vehicle, but the parts inside the doors freezing. Not after a car wash then freezing temps, but simply freezing temps. I've had many parts replaced, extended warranty given and now more parts needing replaced but they are on back order.

This was never an issue on my 2014 or on either Fusion in my stable (2014 & 2016) nor any competitors vehicle. Sure hope Ford can get this figured out and resolved.

Good luck on the resolved part. Ford has had a problem with the F150 door latches freezing since the 2015 launched. The inside of the door is being used as a water channel for draining. Everything is getting corroded and the locks freeze up. There is a recall but people that have had it done are still having problems.

Good luck on the resolved part. Ford has had a problem with the F150 door latches freezing since the 2015 launched. The inside of the door is being used as a water channel for draining. Everything is getting corroded and the locks freeze up. There is a recall but people that have had it done are still having problems.

Ikr. You helped me track my special ordered truck and now this. Thankfully I haven't had it as bad as some, but I've seen a few posts with the rusting/corroding lock actuators. Not sure this is a truck to keep long term, since so far throwing different parts at it is not fixing the issue.

Ikr. You helped me track my special ordered truck and now this. Thankfully I haven't had it as bad as some, but I've seen a few posts with the rusting/corroding lock actuators. Not sure this is a truck to keep long term, since so far throwing different parts at it is not fixing the issue.

Different forum, but check this out.

https://www.f150forum.com/f118/why-your-door-locks-dont-work-384297/

• Like 1

Yep, I'm on there and I've seen that. I'd dig into it, but this is a Ford problem. Ford needs to solve it. I'll be rid of this truck before the warranty runs out - hopefully they can extend mine due to this design issue.

It amazes me how much water they've allowed inside these doors, I've heard of them filling up quick if your drain gets plugged.

Yep, I'm on there and I've seen that. I'd dig into it, but this is a Ford problem. Ford needs to solve it. I'll be rid of this truck before the warranty runs out - hopefully they can extend mine due to this design issue.

It amazes me how much water they've allowed inside these doors, I've heard of them filling up quick if your drain gets plugged.

The doors on the steel trucks, when being assembled had wax daubs applied to the inside of the outer skin. There were three small holes in the bottom of the inner panel. When it went into the corrosion dip tanks, the three holes allowed the chemicals to drain. After it was painted and the vehicle went through the paint ovens, the wax melted and the holes were plugged. The door was sealed and remained dry.

The new doors, for whatever reason, are being used to funnel water. The holes in the bottom of the door are remaining open to channel water. That is, IMO, where the corrosion and water problems are stemming from. It's almost like because Ford made the truck aluminum, they don't care about water seepage anymore.

The doors on the steel trucks, when being assembled had wax daubs applied to the inside of the outer skin. There were three small holes in the bottom of the inner panel. When it went into the corrosion dip tanks, the three holes allowed the chemicals to drain. After it was painted and the vehicle went through the paint ovens, the wax melted and the holes were plugged. The door was sealed and remained dry.

The new doors, for whatever reason, are being used to funnel water. The holes in the bottom of the door are remaining open to channel water. That is, IMO, where the corrosion and water problems are stemming from. It's almost like they don't care anymore.

FTFY

The new doors, for whatever reason, are being used to funnel water. The holes in the bottom of the door are remaining open to channel water. That is, IMO, where the corrosion and water problems are stemming from. It's almost like because Ford made the truck aluminum, they don't care about water seepage anymore.

That may explain it as I can't recall the inner bottom lip of the doors on my 2014 ever being this wet, however it's not just due to water intrusion from outside sources - car washes seem to have no effect on it.

Edited by firecadet613

I dont know the assembly process. However, every door with a movable glass that drops into the door has a drainage system and a vapor barrier behind door panel. Check every ford product and see if there isnt drainage holes. Check every other manufacturer. There is no way to completely keep water from passing belt weatherstripping. Just like moonroofs they leak into a drainage trough and go out drains under the car.

Does this body style let too much water in, possibly. But its normal to have water pass through the door.

Might also want to check that recall 17S33 has been performed. This addresses the water in the latch.

What he said ^

FORD ISSUES SAFETY RECALL FOR 2015-17 F-150 AND 2017 SUPER DUTY VEHICLES TO ADD WATER SHIELD FOR SIDE DOOR LATCHES

Oct 18, 2017 | DEARBORN, Mich.,

DEARBORN, Mich., Oct. 18, 2017 Ford Motor Company is issuing a safety recall in North America. Details are as follows:

Certain 2015-17 Ford F-150 and 2017 Ford Super Duty vehicles

Ford Motor Company is issuing a safety recall for approximately 1.3 million 2015-17 F-150 and 2017 Super Duty vehicles in North America to add a water shield to side door latches.

In affected vehicles, a frozen door latch or a bent or kinked actuation cable may result in a door that will not open or will not close condition. Should a customer be able to open and close the door with these conditions, the door may appear closed, but the latch may not fully engage the door striker with the potential that the door could open while driving, increasing the risk of injury.

Ford is not aware of any accidents or injuries associated with this issue.

Dealers will install water shields over the door latches and inspect and repair the door latch actuation cables if needed at no cost to the customer.

Affected vehicles include:

2015-17 F-150 vehicles built at Dearborn Assembly Plant, March 12, 2014 to Dec. 31, 2016

2015-17 F-150 vehicles built at Kansas City Assembly Plant, Aug. 11, 2014 to Dec. 30, 2016

2017 Super Duty vehicles built at Kentucky Assembly Plant, Oct. 8, 2015 to Sept. 1, 2016

The recall involves approximately 1,344,605 vehicles in North America, including 1,101,107 in the United States and federalized territories, 222,408 in Canada and 21,090 in Mexico. The Ford reference number for this recall is 17S33.

I dont know the assembly process. However, every door with a movable glass that drops into the door has a drainage system and a vapor barrier behind door panel. Check every ford product and see if there isnt drainage holes. Check every other manufacturer. There is no way to completely keep water from passing belt weatherstripping. Just like moonroofs they leak into a drainage trough and go out drains under the car.

Does this body style let too much water in, possibly. But its normal to have water pass through the door.

I fully understand that and I agree, however this is not an issue with my 2014 F150 or 2014 and 2016 Fusion, nor any GM or Chrysler product I've owned. I honestly don't think this is due to water coming past the weatherstripping - as it popped up again once it got cold out this winter and I had not had a car wash in over a week. Normally I'm getting it washed every 2 or 3 days - it has no effect on the doors not wanting to unlock or not. And yes, the moonroof is "designed" to leak. I added some caulk to ensure the water isn't streaming into my truck but maybe a drop or two.

Might also want to check that recall 17S33 has been performed. This addresses the water in the latch.

Recall 17S33 does not apply to any vehicle that had TSB 16-0155 completed. I had the TSB done - the recall is the same thing except it has updated parts. It consists of changing lock rods and adding water shields to the latches. TSB was done at the end of last winter - naturally with it being warm out until recently the doors/latches worked perfectly. I've since had all water shields replaced, they were redesigned for the TSB and they do look much improved. New latches put on the rear doors and new latches on order (backorder) for the front doors. The rear doors have been fine - but it's been a week, so time will tell. No ETA on latches for the front doors. Absolutely love the truck and I've only dealt with the door failing to latch shut once. That is a major safety issue. I have had the failing to unlock fairly often and is more of a hassle than anything, crawling thru the back to open up a front door. PITA and should not be happening on a $50,000+ vehicle. I have spent more time than I care to dealing with my dealer over this issue (they have been great but their hands are tied by Ford). I've resorted to taking videos of me unlocking the doors in the morning so there is no issue with them not being able to duplicate my concern.

What he said ^

FORD ISSUES SAFETY RECALL FOR 2015-17 F-150 AND 2017 SUPER DUTY VEHICLES TO ADD WATER SHIELD FOR SIDE DOOR LATCHES

Oct 18, 2017 | DEARBORN, Mich.,

DEARBORN, Mich., Oct. 18, 2017 Ford Motor Company is issuing a safety recall in North America. Details are as follows:

Certain 2015-17 Ford F-150 and 2017 Ford Super Duty vehicles

Ford Motor Company is issuing a safety recall for approximately 1.3 million 2015-17 F-150 and 2017 Super Duty vehicles in North America to add a water shield to side door latches.

In affected vehicles, a frozen door latch or a bent or kinked actuation cable may result in a door that will not open or will not close condition. Should a customer be able to open and close the door with these conditions, the door may appear closed, but the latch may not fully engage the door striker with the potential that the door could open while driving, increasing the risk of injury.

Ford is not aware of any accidents or injuries associated with this issue.

Dealers will install water shields over the door latches and inspect and repair the door latch actuation cables if needed at no cost to the customer.

Affected vehicles include:

2015-17 F-150 vehicles built at Dearborn Assembly Plant, March 12, 2014 to Dec. 31, 2016

2015-17 F-150 vehicles built at Kansas City Assembly Plant, Aug. 11, 2014 to Dec. 30, 2016

2017 Super Duty vehicles built at Kentucky Assembly Plant, Oct. 8, 2015 to Sept. 1, 2016

The recall involves approximately 1,344,605 vehicles in North America, including 1,101,107 in the United States and federalized territories, 222,408 in Canada and 21,090 in Mexico. The Ford reference number for this recall is 17S33.

I had hoped the recall would work - but given the responses here (https://www.f150forum.com/f118/2015-frozen-door-latch-tsb-recall-poll-status-402319/), it has not worked for many. Many have had latches replaced and that also is not working and now that latches are on national back order who knows. Ford has the means to get this issue figured out and resolved - but are they willing to spend that much $$$. That I don't know.

Edited by firecadet613

I agree this should not be an issue at all. I am curious if the tsb/recalls were performed correctly. Seeing how generous ford has been with labor times, cutting corners, although is poor work ethic, could have happened.

I was just clarifying that its normal for doors to have water run through them. I have a 13 F150 and never has an issue.

I agree this should not be an issue at all. I am curious if the tsb/recalls were performed correctly. Seeing how generous ford has been with labor times, cutting corners, although is poor work ethic, could have happened.

I was just clarifying that its normal for doors to have water run through them. I have a 13 F150 and never has an issue.

I understand - hard to say. I'm crossing my fingers as this has been my favorite vehicle just far. Just need to be in a warmer climate!

I havent dealt with the frozen latches but doing some reading on fords discussion boards. Seems like the ones that have already frozen one time, they are having a hard time getting the moisture out of the latch. So its freezing again. Putting the rain hat on supposedly keeps water out. However, if existing water is still in the latch then it freezes again. Some are coming back too many times so dealers are replacing latches and cables. Plus spraying a aerosol that displaces moisture used to electronics.

That looks like the issue from what I have read. Im sure the repair will be updated/modified.

Again, Fordtech is right. Once water is in the latch, its difficult to get it out. Replacement may be the only course of action. I doubt that if the shields are installed CORRECTLY and the latches replaced, it will happen again. Fordtech is also correct in that it used to pay 1.8 to install both latches in just the front doors. It also paid .7 just to R&I both rear door panels on a Supercab. So that is 2.5 hours labor, without actually doing anything in the rear doors- just having the panels off. NOW with the recall it pays 1.5 hours for all four in the Supercab. This is why "CORRECTLY" can be a real issue.

• Like 1

Not to hijack this thread but fords warranty times have gotten out of control. Very unreasonable. They tell you all kinds of crap to make it sound better. But at the end of the day they dont want to pay more than the bare minimum. They also. Strong arm the dealers and technicians to taking whatever crap time they say is adequate. Really they want to cut costs and especially warranty costs. However, they dont fix the source like crap parts or poor design. They cut costs by not paying for repairs.

• Like 1

Often your concern gets written up as a "comeback" which no self respecting tech wants to have. Ford can deny the claim based simply on the timeframe for repair. To get paid they will have to resubmit, or contact SSSC. Either will be a huge time sucker for their warranty admin at the least, and most likely for the tech too.

Back order parts are a HUGE issue in the field, with no real resolution coming from corporate. As Fordtech said, they save money on the backs of the dealership's service department.

• 1 month later...

I have not yet had any door latch issues on my '16 F150 but my son had an issue the other day with his '15 F150. It has been VERY cold here lately. Both my son and I have got letters stating there is a recall and Ford is waiting on replacement parts and e will be notified when the parts are available.

I have had some issues with my current 09 supercrew. Only with the passenger front door. I wash often in the winter and occasionally the door will not latch closed. usually a few (10) closes and playing with the locks and handles will get it working again. Is this like the issues on the new ones? Thought by ordering a 2018 they would have it figured out.

I have had some issues with my current 09 supercrew. Only with the passenger front door. I wash often in the winter and occasionally the door will not latch closed. usually a few (10) closes and playing with the locks and handles will get it working again. Is this like the issues on the new ones? Thought by ordering a 2018 they would have it figured out.

I didn't have this issue with my '14 and it only took the first winter for it to occur on my '16. After spending too much time digging into this, it is something inside the latch. Causing it to 1 - not engage and lock the door shut or 2 - fail to unlock. It could be as simple as the actuator is filling with water, freezing not being strong enough to break free of the ice. What's causing the latch to not catch and keep the door shut? I've only had one instance of that and I haven't put my finger on it.

I will most likely not have this truck come next winter.

• Like 1