2018 EcoSport with "Factory Installed" Front License Plate Bracket

phil1336

With 19 States only requiring (1) Rear License Plate, what Idiot decided to "Pre-Install" these ugly Black License Plate Brackets on 95% of all the Vehicles being shipped to the US? In Florida where the EcoSport are starting to arrive, finding one (without) this hidious Plate Holder is near impossible. Live with it or have the Body Shop refill an repaint holes? Why not simply through the damn bracket an mounting screws into the Vehicle along with the Floor Mats an let the Dealers install as necessary! Passed on 3 EcoSports, all identical in Color and Trim Level but passed on each one because they came with the Front License Plate Bracket "NC" on the Window Sticker.

Edited by phil1336

Nevermind

Theres no point in arguing

I agree. Have you seen but (1) Stock Photo of a 2018 N.A. EcoSport with that ugly front license plate bracket? If your State only issues 1 Tag, what are you going to place in it? The Dealerships Advertisement or insert a Vanity Plate that say, I'm Mr. Wonderful. Would have taken a lot of effort to simply include the Bracket as a Dealer Installed Item instead of screwing 2 holes into the Front Bumper.

Edited by phil1336

I agree. Have you seen but (1) Stock Photo of a 2018 N.A. EcoSport with that ugly front license plate bracket? If your State only issues 1 Tag, what are you going to place in it? The Dealerships Advertisement or insert a Vanity Plate that say, I'm Mr. Wonderful. Would have taken a lot of effort to simply include the Bracket as a Dealer Installed Item instead of screwing 2 holes into the Front Bumper.

Not that hard to do...

post-40286-0-23185700-1516543147_thumb.png

Edited by twintornados
  • Like 1

I have to agree with Phil here. I live on the border of Michigan and Ohio, and buy from a dealer in Ohio. Ohio requires a front plate, Michigan does not.

I've told my salesperson before that if my vehicle has the front plate installed that I won't take delivery of it. I usually find them in the trunk or hatch wrapped in plastic.

• Like 1

This is one thing I wish ford would invest more engineering in. Honda in particular has/had a much better setup. You

Could install and remove the front plate bracket without permanent markings. The brackets screw into the bumper with plugs covering the holes or attach under the lip out of sight. Ford kills me with vehicles like mustangs that you

Drill into the cover and rivet the bracket on. Such a shame. But they pull things like ambient lighting so you know they wont spend $5 extra to make a good design for this.

Maybe because the licence place is required in Indian production vehicles? Far easier to build them that way?

Nope, most Non North American Countries have a different size License Plate. Secondly, doing an Inventory Search of available an Dealer Ordered 2018 Ford EcoSports, there are some Florida Dealers that had the foresight to Order their Units (without) this Ugly Bracket. The majority of incoming EcoSport (do) have the Front License Plate Bracket listed on the Window Sticker with NC. I think the Dealers must have thought that it was going to be thrown into the Vehicle along with the Floor Mats for Dealer Installation. Instead, most Buyer will have to settle for this Ugly Monstrosity or search for a Vehicle in the Color of their choice that doesn't have this "Free" Item. I was ready to take Delivery of one in Diamond White. One local Dealer has 4 Identical Units but all have the Front License Bracket. Waiting for another Dealer that has 3 due to arrive anyday now (minus) this Frame.

For the record, 31 States require 2 Tags an the remaining 19 only 1 Tag.

Edited by phil1336

Just wanted to add one more comment before they close out this "Thread". I noticed on my 2013 C-Max Hybrid SE, the Window Sticker also listed the Front License Plate Bracket N.C. but it was shipped along with the Floor Mats in a Plastic Bag for Dealer Installation. No Idiot at the Assembly Plant screwed it into the Front Bumper assuming it was going to one of the 31 States requiring 2 Tags. It was quite a search to find the exact EcoSport I wanted in Diamond White with the Medium Stone Interior (without) the Front License Bracket since 98% of Vehicles ordered included it assuming it would be tossed in the back seat or trunk. A Dealer Swap requiring an extra 112 miles put on it since the margins were too small to Flatbed it especially using the X-Plan. Will soon Post (my) Review since obviously the Black-Out on Media Coverage,Reviews, an First Drives remains in place. What a lovely front Bumper/Facia ruined by a huge black hideous License Plate Bracket (especially) if you live where only 1 Plate is required. Maybe Hackett or someone in Dearborn will contact the Plant in India and put a Stop Order on pre-installing the brackets immediately.

You do realize the press embargo doesn’t apply to you, right? Or did you just mean you’d wait for the other reviews and post yours at the same time?

Exactly. Not sure about the rules concerning Posting comments on Blogs like Ford EcoSport Forum, etc but rather then complicate matters an allowing at least a few weeks to a month of Ownership to pass before making any judgement, I see no problem. As a early Buyer, can I discuss my opinion on the vehicle with immediate Family Members? Hope their EPA estimates are a bit low. Doesn't figure with the same engine an drivetrain getting much better fuel economy in similar weight Ford vehicles. A bit odd....

Completely uncalled-for comment right there bro.

Perhaps bit harsh? I suspect

there may be a lot of shitty workers here but not all of us are idiots thank you very much

Your absolutely correct. I apologize. Assembly Line Workers were (not) involved in that decision. Someone in "Management" made the call. I should have made that perfectly clear.

I suspect that Missouri requires 2 License Plates? If so, I don't see you having a Dog in this fight?

Exactly. Not sure about the rules concerning Posting comments on Blogs like Ford EcoSport Forum, etc but rather then complicate matters an allowing at least a few weeks to a month of Ownership to pass before making any judgement, I see no problem. As a early Buyer, can I discuss my opinion on the vehicle with immediate Family Members? Hope their EPA estimates are a bit low. Doesn't figure with the same engine an drivetrain getting much better fuel economy in similar weight Ford vehicles. A bit odd....

If you bought the car, you can discuss with anyone you choose. You aren't bound by anything.

Perhaps bit harsh? I suspect

Your absolutely correct. I apologize. Assembly Line Workers were (not) involved in that decision. Someone in "Management" made the call. I should have made that perfectly clear.

I suspect that Missouri requires 2 License Plates? If so, I don't see you having a Dog in this fight?

Yes, harsh. Fuzzy is in Michigan, not MO. He may not have a dog in the license plate fight, but he's one of those assembly line workers you referred to as an idiot. I'm in MO, and yes, we require 2 plates. I don't have a dog in the fight other than expecting courtesy and respect toward others.

• Like 1

Again;

For the record, I regret placing any blame whatsoever on the Assembly Line Workers at the Plant in India. They obviously were simply following Managements Protocol of Installing the Front License Plate Bracket unto the Bumper at the Factory rather then letting the Dealership install them as necessary. In Florida, where many Folks spend a half year or more, often purchase a New Vehicle down here rather then wait to purchase it in their Home State. For that reason, most Dealers order the Front License Plate Bracket since there is No Charge an keep them on hand just in case a Vehicle is sold to a Purchaser that requires 2 Plates. I have purchased many new Ford vehicles an the Window Sticker nearly always listed the Bracket but was placed in a Bag with fasteners along with the Floor Mats to be applied at delivery. Why not simply install the Front License Plate Bracket on all New Mustangs instead of deferring to the Selling Dealership to determine whether or not to screw it into the Bumper using EcoSport logic?

• Like 1

Again;

For the record, I regret placing any blame whatsoever on the Assembly Line Workers at the Plant in India. They obviously were simply following Managements Protocol of Installing the Front License Plate Bracket unto the Bumper at the Factory rather then letting the Dealership install them as necessary. In Florida, where many Folks spend a half year or more, often purchase a New Vehicle down here rather then wait to purchase it in their Home State. For that reason, most Dealers order the Front License Plate Bracket since there is No Charge an keep them on hand just in case a Vehicle is sold to a Purchaser that requires 2 Plates. I have purchased many new Ford vehicles an the Window Sticker nearly always listed the Bracket but was placed in a Bag with fasteners along with the Floor Mats to be applied at delivery. Why not simply install the Front License Plate Bracket on all New Mustangs instead of deferring to the Selling Dealership to determine whether or not to screw it into the Bumper using EcoSport logic?

Because the market that was selling Ecosports prior to coming the US most likely required two licence plates to be installed?

Doubt that is the reason. True, the Ecosport was shipped from India to Nations all of the Globe with North America being close to if not the last. Most of the World does not share the same Front License Plate Design as we do so obviously, they wouldn't use the same obtrusive Bracket. Poor decision on not leaving this Bracket as a Dealer Installed Part. Someone dropped the ball. Most local Ford Dealers here in Florida were surprised an dismayed that they were Factory Pre-Installed. Most New Dealer Orders will have (NO) Bracket ordered. Can you imagine if the same thing occurred with Mustangs being shipped from Flat Rock MI? Buyers from the 19 States that require but 1 Plate would refuse Delivery an look for another Unit or hope the Dealer could do a Swap like mine did.