2018 Navigator adaptive headlamps.

• 2 weeks later...

Up and down is the correct direction -- it is to make sure they are the right height. You may be thinking of adaptive lights as cornering lights which I haven't seen adjust as you start the vehicle. Reference: my Audi's in the past have always been up and down.

The Lincoln Adaptive HIDs on other vehicles only swivel left and right for cornering. They don't move up or down.

Yes, I'm not disagreeing with you. Let me rephrase: the adaptive refer to the cornering ability. The up and down motion is to calibrate height (self leveling). Adaptive headlights don't need to calibrate left and right because they are in sync with the steering wheel

Edited by TLew

Yes, I'm not disagreeing with you. Two points:

1 - The OP was specifically talking about starting the vehicle. Adaptive HIDs will auto adjust at start up which is a vertical motion of the lights to sense how high/low they are and callibrate

2 - Adaptive HIDs will move left and right for cornering, and I've addressed that above. That said, they won't move left and right (at least that I've seen) at start up because it's tied to the steering wheel position

Not correct. I have Adaptive HIDs on my 2016 MKX. They do move left and right at startup. I don't know if it's calibration or just showing off but they do it.

Not correct. I have Adaptive HIDs on my 2016 MKX. They do move left and right at startup. I don't know if it's calibration or just showing off but they do it.

According to the owners manual they move left to right upon startup to show they are working correctly. Mine go up and down. Im wondering if there is an issue with mine now having read that yours go left right. How pronounced is the movement when you are driving at night? When starting my vehicle they clearly move up and down, there are also some other lights that flash on either side. Maybe I should post a video for you to compare with what yours do, I wouldnt think the two would be drastically different. Edited by boredinbirmingham

According to the owners manual they move right to left upon startup to show they are working correctly. Mine go up and down. Im wondering if there is an issue with mine now having read that yours go left right. How pronounced is the movement when you are driving at night?

HIDs move left and right at startup - not the LEDs. Current LEDs on the MKX and I presume MKZ and MKC don't move. Navigator has the newer LEDs that obviously have more features. The LEDs in Europe have a lot more functionality so I presume we're getting some of that new technology now in the newer Lincolns.

They're LEDs and the LEDs don't swivel left and right for cornering - they're supposed to just light up different elements to shine more left or right when cornering.

I just edited my post but see you responded already. So the up and down may be calibration for the height and the flashes I see are the actual cornering lights. I was assuming they swiveled but, if Im understanding you correctly, the corner lights are stationary and light up only if you are turning that particular direction.

HIDs move left and right at startup - not the LEDs. Current LEDs on the MKX and I presume MKZ and MKC don't move. Navigator has the newer LEDs that obviously have more features. The LEDs in Europe have a lot more functionality so I presume we're getting some of that new technology now in the newer Lincolns.

Ok, I think I see where I was mistaking HIDs vs the LEDs. Thanks for clarifying.
  • Like 1

I had a chance to look through the manual, and it states that the headlight should test left to right in motion at start up. The funny thing is mine doesn't look like it does that. I'll have to get my wife to start it up while I stand in front of it at some point.

• 2 years later...

My headlights seem to shine low, or lets say the light is not casting the light beam far ahead of the vechical, I feel like I can not see far enough ahead to stop in time.

If I had to guess the beam goes 50 to 75 feet. After that is pretty much dark.

Is there away to adjust so the beams are pointing up higher?

On 11/8/2020 at 9:24 PM, vipersinu2 said:

Here is a pic of what I am trying to explain.

There might be only 2 car lengths of light. It seems like I should see way ahead.

I feel like if there was a object in the road, I would not see and have time to react in time.

Hi vipers. Not sure if you already adjusted them, but if you have not, follow the instructions in your Owners Manual to adjust the headlight aim higher. Or have your Dealership do it on your next service visit.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

11 hours ago, bbf2530 said:

Hi vipers. Not sure if you already adjusted them, but if you have not, follow the instructions in your Owners Manual to adjust the headlight aim higher. Or have your Dealership do it on your next service visit.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

I didn't know that was available, but I see it is. Good suggestion. Hopefully does the trick.