Emergency Spare Tire "Donut" for 18` EcoSport w/16`` Wheels & 4 Lugs

phil1336

I guess I should have procured a 4 Lug 15`` Emergency Donut from a late model Focus. Chances are the Rubber will not be deteriorated as much as a 25 year old Fox Body Mustang Emergency Donut. I figured it made sense to match up the 16`` Alloy Wheels & Tires with a 16`` 4 Lug Emergency Donut. I just check the Emergency Donut I used on my 2013 Ford C-Max which came with 17`` Alloy Wheels & Tires an saw that the Emergency Donut that worked fine was a 16`` one from a late model Ford Fusion. Oh well, lets see if the Antique Donut will mount.

I guess I should have procured a 4 Lug 15`` Emergency Donut from a late model Focus. Chances are the Rubber will not be deteriorated as much as a 25 year old Fox Body Mustang Emergency Donut. I figured it made sense to match up the 16`` Alloy Wheels & Tires with a 16`` 4 Lug Emergency Donut. I just check the Emergency Donut I used on my 2013 Ford C-Max which came with 17`` Alloy Wheels & Tires an saw that the Emergency Donut that worked fine was a 16`` one from a late model Ford Fusion. Oh well, lets see if the Antique Donut will mount.

just make sure if you get one from a Focus its a pre 2012 (non SVT). They changed to a 5 lug pattern in 2012.

just make sure if you get one from a Focus its a pre 2012 (non SVT). They changed to a 5 lug pattern in 2012.

Thanks, I was aware of that. Ordered a 16`` 4 Lug Emergency Donut with 108 mm Radius off a 1992 Fox Body Mustang never used. T135-70-16

Looks like New for $75 w/free shipping. Tire an Wheel look perfect but with 25 years "aging" hopefully the Rubber hasn't`t totally deteriorated. Holding 60 psi (but) having 3000 lbs pressing on it, who knows. Fingers crossed it fits.

Backup plan is Pre-2011 4 Lug 15`` Focus Donut.

Edited by phil1336
  • Like 1

Tires for donut rims arent super expensive IIRC

I was told they can't replace the tire. I've got a couple donuts on a landscaping trailer (off-road only) my FIL built for me years ago. The one tire is dry-rotted and needs replaced, but the tire shop I called (owned by my uncle) says they can't legally put a new tire on the rim. Strange.

If its too much of a hassle to replace a Emergency Tire Donut on the original rim, I`ll just get a 2011 or older 4 Lug 15`` Focus Donut an call it a day if the ancient Fox Body Mustang Donut fails due to old age. Since its not going to be used as a Daily Driver, if it gets me to a Tire Repair Shop rather then being Towed, its done its job. I despise those weight saving and mostly cost saving Emergency Inflator Kits which have now become the norm in N.A. In other Counties, they require a Jack an Emergency Donut. In Australia, a Full Size Tire is required as an Emergency Spare. Extra weight causing poor Fuel Economy? What about an overweight Owner? How do they achieve the EPA numbers? Empty Vehicle or using a Jockey as a Driver?