2021 Mustang on CD6

New one.

Is the American-market Focus currently on the C1 platform? I know the first generation was C170 which stayed that way for awhile here while the rest of the world switched to C1. I'm guessing it's already C3 worldwide which is what American-market platform will switch to with the Chinese-made ones? Meaning, of course, the next generation for both global and American would then be updated form of C3? Having a hard time keeping track of this and the only site that shows platform designation in Google search was Wikipedia. I know to only take Wikipedia with grain of salt but the page was written in a confusing way.

Other than my questions for the Focus platform, I apologize in advance for throwing this thread off topic regarding Focus. Just wanted to go ahead and ask here while my questions were fresh on my mind. But thanks to you and all for the others regarding the upcoming CD6 and Mustang.

• Like 1

Is the American-market Focus currently on the C1 platform? I know the first generation was C170 which stayed that way for awhile here while the rest of the world switched to C1. I'm guessing it's already C3 worldwide which is what American-market platform will switch to with the Chinese-made ones? Meaning, of course, the next generation for both global and American would then be updated form of C3? Having a hard time keeping track of this and the only site that shows platform designation in Google search was Wikipedia. I know to only take Wikipedia with grain of salt but the page was written in a confusing way.

Other than my questions for the Focus platform, I apologize in advance for throwing this thread off topic regarding Focus. Just wanted to go ahead and ask here while my questions were fresh on my mind. But thanks to you and all for the others regarding the upcoming CD6 and Mustang.

The current one is program code C346, but it still uses an updated version of the C1 platform. C3 will debut on the new Focus being shown in April.

• Like 2

Wanted to ask anyone with any knowledge within or outside the company if the '21 mustang is still on schedule to use the cd6 based platform? Reason i ask is because their are a lot of speculation and rumors at the mustang6g forum suggesting that the cd6 based mustang has been cancelled and that the '21 will instead use a modified s550 chassis? Personally I don't believe those rumors but i could be wrong, so if anybody knows anything feel free to chime in.

• Like 1

Wanted to ask anyone with any knowledge within or outside the company if the '21 mustang is still on schedule to use the cd6 based platform? Reason i ask is because their are a lot of speculation and rumors at the mustang6g forum suggesting that the cd6 based mustang has been cancelled and that the '21 will instead use a modified s550 chassis? Personally I don't believe those rumors but i could be wrong, so if anybody knows anything feel free to chime in.

Given the upheaval internally with the company in the past six months or so, I'd say any rumors that aren't within the past 30-60 days is "old" information.

From the more current rumors, new product was being held back and then was greenlighted\pushed forward due the age of the current lineup due to the new management-the CD6 Explorer being a prime example of that.

If the Explorer/Aviator are CD6, the Mustang will also benifit from it- Instead of just having the F-150/Expedition to share a powertrain with, it will also have the Explorer and Aviator also-which helps with costs.

From what I understand, the S550 used alot of CD4 parts like wiring harnesses etc to help with costs.

The big ? is what happens with Mid-sized sedan products, but given the growth of the new Focus, making a LWB Focus and calling it a Fusion isn't too far of a strech.

• Like 1

This has been out there for a while. Yes. Next gen Mustang will be on mod CD6... with a host of other products.

That's as close to official confirmation as you're going to get.

• Like 1

ok, color me confused...all this talk of CD6 and its ability to house hybrid/ plug in powertrains....where does this leave the Model "E" in the picture....from what I understand, the "E" was a ground up chassis specifically for electrification and hybrid powertrains....

ok, color me confused...all this talk of CD6 and its ability to house hybrid/ plug in powertrains....where does this leave the Model "E" in the picture....from what I understand, the "E" was a ground up chassis specifically for electrification and hybrid powertrains....

Its morphed into what is being called the Mach1 CUV-a performance battery vehicle.

I'm assuming Ford is doing this to maximize profits from it. It rather sell a 40-50-60K BEV then a loss leader like the Chevy Bolt.

• Like 1

CD6 Architecture is for Gas and Gas Hybrid, Model E architecture is for fully electric.

Am I the only one who is starting to think CD6 being everything to everyone may be a bad idea? I totally get it from a cost standpoint though. The thought of having the Mustang and Explorer coming off of the same platform kind frightens me. Other than RWD, what do they have in common? Small sports car and big people mover..... just my thoughts.

Am I the only one who is starting to think CD6 being everything to everyone may be a bad idea? I totally get it from a cost standpoint though. The thought of having the Mustang and Explorer coming off of the same platform kind frightens me. Other than RWD, what do they have in common? Small sports car and big people mover..... just my thoughts.

The thing is they won't be using the same platform-The crash cell is completely different for a coupe vs four door SUV.

What will be shared is this:

Front/rear end suspensions

powertrains

Harnesses

The Mustang will share its "platform" with the MKZ and Continental. The CUV platform will be different.

if they insist on using the Mach 1 name on something electric I would prefer it to be an actual electric Mustang.

Well, to be fair, I thought that's what they were "showing" with the video - I thought exactly that - that the hybridized/electrified Mustang would be called Mach 1.

Sounds like the other way around........it was going to be a modified S550 (S650), but that was shelved in lieu of a CD6-based architecture.

---

I forgot to post my CD6 thoughts from yesterday,

Midsize - Mustang, MKZ (replacement), "Sentinel" (Lincoln coupe), Nautilus (RWD)

Fullsize - "Thunderbird" (large 4-door coupe type vehicle), Continental, Explorer, Aviator

Fusion and Edge I could see either being made into LWB C3, or FWD version of CD6.

Edited by rmc523
  • Like 1

CD6 is an architecture, think VW MLB/MSB all in one. The Audi A4, A6,Lamborghini Urus and Bentley Bentayga are all the same architecture.

120419955-2.jpg?itok=r9F1qSl5

• Like 3

Ford will have 3 modular architectures based on what we know as I've speculated for a while now:

1. Transverse engine (C3)

2. Longitude engine (CD6)

3. Electric (E1)

I made up the E1 name because Model E is too many letters to type repeated in every post. I'm just going to call it E1 from now on. ;)

• Like 3

I would think/hope that the CD6 Mustang has some tweaks vs the Lincoln sedans. I would think a muscle car needs a different suspension tune vs. a luxury sedan.

Just like the other platform siblings with CUV needs would need a higher ride height.

Maybe I'm just stating the obvious...

You could imagine that developing vehicles will become a whole lot easier at Ford when the foundation engineering

is preset with modules than can cover the envisaged product envelope. It allows them the scope of building and testing

on computers and giving management better ideas of outcomes like development and build cost so they can make

more informed decisions.

D3/4, C1, CD4 taught Ford how it could develop cars and utilities on the one platform, now Ford is set to take that

strategy and turn it around so that vehicles begin from basic engineering and electric modules and go from there,

more diversity and less constraint and less cost because different divisions aren't reinventing the wheel each time...

Edited by jpd80