No CD Player in 2018 Ford EcoSport Audio System?

phil1336

After 2 weeks of ownership of my 2018 Ford EcoSport I thought it was about time to slip in an enjoy one of my favorite CD`s. Since the "S" Trim is not available with the built in Sirius Satellite Radio Hardware unlike a 12K Hyundai or Kia, I was unable to locate the (slot) to insert the CD. Much to my surprise, there is NONE! Further research indicated that Ford along with several other Auto Manufacturers have eliminated the aging CD Unit from their Audio Units. Instead, (2) USB Ports an a SYNC System which allows you to connect to a "Streaming Service" like Apple Play or Adroid`s version. The lack of a CD Unit regardless of Trim Line is also the case from S through Titanium. Not a Deal Breaker but it would have been nice to enjoy some of one's favorite CD`s on a long Trip. No Sirius and No CD functionality. Not much time left for the remaining Dinosaurs like myself that grew up despite not have either Padded Dashboards, Seat Belts, and Child Seats. How we ever made it to adulthood is simply amazing. Anyone old enough to remember 8 Track Cartridges an Cassettes?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just rip the music from your CDs to your computer and put it on a flashdrive. It works perfectly and you don't have CDs rattling around in the car. By using free software like in the link, you can create playlists and arrange your music about anyway you like. I ordered my Continental with a CD player but will likely never use it.

http://www.openviewdesign.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=5&Itemid=125

CD's are rapidly going away. Best Buy has decided to stop selling them and Target may do the same. I've had my music on flash drive for years. Now, with Android Auto, you can also listen to Pandora and Spotify.

This. As much as I love having physical copies of albums I havent used the CD player in either of my cars in years.

I agree with all the previous comments regarding the obsolescence of the CD Disk inclusion. Those Seniors, (like myself) without Grand Childen close by to assist in the transition makes things a bit more challenging. True, Ford pegged the demographics of the typical EcoSport buyer as a College age Student or Millennial. I have noticed a majority of Honda HR-V Drivers being of AARP age or older. If at least Ford included the Sirius Satellite Radio into the Base Radio like other Manufacturers do with the minimal extra cost involved, the issue would pretty much be eliminated. I'm sure that Sirius / XM would supplement the small addition cost of the included Hardware figuring that a certain number will "Re-New" their Satellite Subscription once the initial Trail runs out within the first 6 months of Ownership. Funny, its worked fine for years with their 12K Hyundai Accent & Kia Rio but Ford obviously has a "Better" idea. Hats off to Ford for finally including programmable DRL`s into their newest Vehicles, finally!

• 1 year later...
On 2/14/2018 at 6:21 AM, phil1336 said:

After 2 weeks of ownership of my 2018 Ford EcoSport I thought it was about time to slip in an enjoy one of my favorite CD`s. Since the "S" Trim is not available with the built in Sirius Satellite Radio Hardware unlike a 12K Hyundai or Kia, I was unable to locate the (slot) to insert the CD. Much to my surprise, there is NONE! Further research indicated that Ford along with several other Auto Manufacturers have eliminated the aging CD Unit from their Audio Units. Instead, (2) USB Ports an a SYNC System which allows you to connect to a "Streaming Service" like Apple Play or Adroid`s version. The lack of a CD Unit regardless of Trim Line is also the case from S through Titanium. Not a Deal Breaker but it would have been nice to enjoy some of one's favorite CD`s on a long Trip. No Sirius and No CD functionality. Not much time left for the remaining Dinosaurs like myself that grew up despite not have either Padded Dashboards, Seat Belts, and Child Seats. How we ever made it to adulthood is simply amazing. Anyone old enough to remember 8 Track Cartridges an Cassettes?

Too funny! I too had been driving my 2018 Ecosport for 2 weeks and decided to put in a CD, I too was surprised not to find the slot where to put it in!. 

My 2013 f150 has seen one cd in its life. Otherwise I use Bluetooth audio or Sirius. I think that’s the new normal. I remember when sync first came out 2008 l, iPods were hooked up and people complained about the indexing time and some incompatibilities.

I’m not even sure many folks even use thumb drives with music much anymore. Amazing how quickly things change. This is one of the reasons I don’t understand why Ford doesn’t offer upgrades for vehicles like MFT to sync 3. Vehicles cost so much and are financed longer. Plus are lasting longer, so why not at least do some support for older models with in 10 years old?  I know they want to sell new vehicles but a little support in the infotainment area would possibly help retain customers. 

Just now, fordtech1 said:

My 2013 f150 has seen one cd in its life. Otherwise I use Bluetooth audio or Sirius. I think that’s the new normal. I remember when sync first came out 2008 l, iPods were hooked up and people complained about the indexing time and some incompatibilities.

I’m not even sure many folks even use thumb drives with music much anymore. Amazing how quickly things change. This is one of the reasons I don’t understand why Ford doesn’t offer upgrades for vehicles like MFT to sync 3. Vehicles cost so much and are financed longer. Plus are lasting longer, so why not at least do some support for older models with in 10 years old?  I know they want to sell new vehicles but a little support in the infotainment area would possibly help retain customers. 

I still complain about indexing time even though it's gotten faster over the years, especially when it still gets stuff wrong or doesn't acknowledge something all together.