Tesla Model 3 review

silvrsvt

The problem I have with the Model 3 is that they are making this sound like an electric alternative to the Camry or Accord for the everyday person but it isn't that at all. Sure that 35k price tag (plus tax discount of 7500 to the first 200, 000 folks) sounds reasonable. Except they aren't even selling that model right now, as most are being sold in 50's. This is for a car that is the size of an A4 or 3 series. Now do I want a minimally equipped electric car that is a tad bigger than a corolla but much smaller than a Camry that only has a 210 mile range, pretty horrible build quality, that does things differently just to be different (ie most controls on touch screen) rather than ease of function and has a sizable wait list/delivery time for 35-40k? I know I wouldn't but I have a brain.

Add to this is the viability of Tesla depends on them selling a whole lot more than 200,000 of these and that really levels the playing field. For me, I see the Model 3 as a good attempt at making an affordable small car for the masses. However, the result is (other than no option base model) a luxury priced small car competitor to the 3 series, with questionable build quality and little to no understanding of how to mass produce them.

You can't adjust the wipers or turn the lights on without using the way-too-busy screen? WTH?! That's a huge safety factor IMO. You need to be able to do those things instantly without looking. I absolutely hate not having hard buttons for often-used items.

Silly person......that's only a problem when it's on a Ford. Teslas are fantastic! Just ask Consumer Reports....

• Like 1

I saw 2 of them just the other night, one about an hour after the other. I had followed the first one into a parking lot to snap a few pictures, then gone to a restaurant, only to come out and find another one parked right next to me.

They look good in person, and not as goofy as some photos have made them look.

Here's the first one I saw. I saw the driver get out of it, I should've asked what he thought of it.

HhQB69G.jpg

M62obo2.jpg

This is the second one. It started pouring as I was taking these pictures so I could only snap 2:

Kvm1umw.jpg

7NAXIGR.jpg

You can't adjust the wipers or turn the lights on without using the way-too-busy screen? WTH?! That's a huge safety factor IMO. You need to be able to do those things instantly without looking. I absolutely hate not having hard buttons for often-used items.

You don't use automatic lights?

The problem I have with the Model 3 is that they are making this sound like an electric alternative to the Camry or Accord for the everyday person but it isn't that at all. Sure that 35k price tag (plus tax discount of 7500 to the first 200, 000 folks) sounds reasonable. Except they aren't even selling that model right now, as most are being sold in 50's. This is for a car that is the size of an A4 or 3 series. Now do I want a minimally equipped electric car that is a tad bigger than a corolla but much smaller than a Camry that only has a 210 mile range, pretty horrible build quality, that does things differently just to be different (ie most controls on touch screen) rather than ease of function and has a sizable wait list/delivery time for 35-40k? I know I wouldn't but I have a brain.

Add to this is the viability of Tesla depends on them selling a whole lot more than 200,000 of these and that really levels the playing field. For me, I see the Model 3 as a good attempt at making an affordable small car for the masses. However, the result is (other than no option base model) a luxury priced small car competitor to the 3 series, with questionable build quality and little to no understanding of how to mass produce them.

Tesla has positioned itself as a luxury brand, so to compare it to a Toyota isn't a fair comparison, in my eyes, no matter what the trade ins are.

I think it depends on what you want/need and what kind of timeline. If your lease is running out next month, obviously a Model 3 doesn't make sense. Many people are buying into the style of the car/brand. It's the first (relatively) affordable electric that isn't designed to look like some sort of hideous origami experiment or some sort of insect.

Not every model will appeal to every person. If you don't like it, don't buy it. Them having a list off however many hundred thousand people who placed deposits says plenty like what they see. Now, will their opinion change once the cars get in the hands of buyers? Maybe, but only time will tell.

You don't use automatic lights?

Yes, as well as auto wipers in my truck, but there are still times when you need to override that. Especially wipers in a torrential downpour where the wipers don't pick up fast enough.

And $1k for any color paint that isn't black? Seriously? Geez!

Tesla has positioned itself as a luxury brand, so to compare it to a Toyota isn't a fair comparison, in my eyes, no matter what the trade ins are.

I think it depends on what you want/need and what kind of timeline. If your lease is running out next month, obviously a Model 3 doesn't make sense. Many people are buying into the style of the car/brand. It's the first (relatively) affordable electric that isn't designed to look like some sort of hideous origami experiment or some sort of insect.

Not every model will appeal to every person. If you don't like it, don't buy it. Them having a list off however many hundred thousand people who placed deposits says plenty like what they see. Now, will their opinion change once the cars get in the hands of buyers? Maybe, but only time will tell.

Ah...and there is the rub. Tesla has positioned itself as a niche level luxury carmaker. No denying that at all. HOWEVER, Tesla business model viability relies on the mass production of the model 3. They waived the affordable 35k price tag around touting it to be for the average consumer for great press and too woo investors. As of today, since September 1, 2017 they have only made 8771 model 3's. Think about that....let that sink in.

Source: https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2018-tesla-tracker/

Yes, as well as auto wipers in my truck, but there are still times when you need to override that. Especially wipers in a torrential downpour where the wipers don't pick up fast enough.

And $1k for any color paint that isn't black? Seriously? Geez!

The wipers, I agree should have controls within the stalk like every other vehicle in the world lol, but the lights I don't see being a big issue of having it in the screen.

I'm with the guy about the center mounted speedometer, though. Would it really have cost them that much extra to put a small LCD screen behind the wheel for guages and a few other features (cruise control, etc.)? It could've just been mounted the same way (not integrated) to retain production simplicities.

Ah...and there is the rub. Tesla has positioned itself as a niche level luxury carmaker. No denying that at all. HOWEVER, Tesla business model viability relies on the mass production of the model 3. They waived the affordable 35k price tag around touting it to be for the average consumer for great press and too woo investors. As of today, since September 1, 2017 they have only made 8771 model 3's. Think about that....let that sink in.

Source: https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2018-tesla-tracker/

Hey, I'm not a blind follower of the brand. There are definitely a lot of questions still to be answered, but what they've done so far has been impressive.

Just about every Tesla I have been in, rode in, Etc. had build quality issues. If it happened on a Fiesta or Ecosport, eh...maybe I would be "annoyed" but on a $75-120K vehicle, it's just not acceptable but what's funnier is the owners making "excuses" when you point it out to them. I mean I get it, after spending that amount of money, they have to show face. It's sort of like someone paying for their daughter's expensive wedding cause shes marrying a CEO, just to found out she was screwing the help, a week prior.

clever improvements such as the vent controls which allow you to adjust airflow without reaching for each individual vent.

Clever? Maybe for the far passenger vent, but I find it rather easy to adjust a vent if necessary. How is making each vent controlled by the screen an improvement?

Seriously, though, do you have to control each vent with the screen? If so, that's the stupidest thing I've ever heard!

Clever? Maybe for the far passenger vent, but I find it rather easy to adjust a vent if necessary. How is making each vent controlled by the screen an improvement?

Seriously, though, do you have to control each vent with the screen? If so, that's the stupidest thing I've ever heard!

There's only one (well two - one for driver/passenger) vent across the whole dash. So yes, you control each one with the screen.