2019 GMC Sierra Revealed

rmc523

Give Chevy the GMC look, and I'd think a lot more of the brand. The GMCs always look so much better/classier than the Chevys.

Agree that the dealership network was the problem, though.

My argument was you could give Silverado a GMC styling option using the same grille. Just make it a package or trim model instead of a separate brand and sell it at the same dealers.

Ford F-150 Platinum

Chevy Silverado Denali

According to BORG elsewhere, this Sierra Denali and RAM both "WAY outclass" Ford's luxury models..... :doh:

All because they offer a carbon fiber bed, trick tailgate, and HUD....

Edited by rmc523

Just not in the doors anymore

Im hoping the bean counters bring those small details back. Hopefully that was Marks decision and will be reversed.

The small unique features are what help buyers justify the jump from XLT to platinum. The small things matter the most in this market.

Edited by fordtech1

GM would have been smart to make a Buick a Chinese only name brand and gotten rid of GMC and move the higher end models to Chevy-but no....Chevy gets treated like a white trash/el cheapo brand.

There is really no need for Buick or GMC-all it is extra money spent to make them look different and market them differently then Chevy or Caddy

Yes, $70-$100k Suburbans, Tahoes, Silverado, Vettes and Camaros says "el cheapo" ?.....

The route GM chosen works for GM. GM truck buyers know what their buying but prefer either styling or dealer preferences over each other truck offered. Chevy is GM's arm of mass market vehicles but that doesn't mean "cheap" also.

• Like 1

GM would have been smart to make a Buick a Chinese only name brand and gotten rid of GMC and move the higher end models to Chevy-but no....Chevy gets treated like a white trash/el cheapo brand.

There is really no need for Buick or GMC-all it is extra money spent to make them look different and market them differently then Chevy or Caddy

Actually, they should have just gotten rid of Chevrolet truck division and made GMC available to ALL of the GM dealers...

Then, when the time is right, spin the whole truck division off to a Chinese firm....

Lol. Why are they true luxury vehicles? And why will all those buyers love it?

Price, features, and prestige make the highline GMC Sierras true luxury vehicles.

An article in the February 15 New York Times National Edition had this quote about a GMC dealer in Washington state talking about owners of German luxury sedans who trade them in for GMC Denali trucks.

"Increasing competition from upmarket S.U.V.s and trucks is adding to the struggles of the luxury makers. Most have long relied on cars for the bulk of their sales, and are suffering now that bigger vehicles are in favor. In 2017, for example, BMW’s sales to individual customers at dealerships in the United States fell more than 5 percent, according data shared among automakers. The decline in BMW’s total sales was less because of a big jump in sales to rental car fleets, a type of customer that luxury brands tended to shun in the past.

Out in Tacoma, Wash., Gary Gilchrist sees the trend just about every week at his GMC dealership.
“We’ve been taking in Lexuses on trade-ins, BMWs,” he said. This month, he said, a customer turned in a 2012 BMW 550i and bought a $71,000 GMC Sierra Denali pickup.
“People used to want German cars for the image factor,” Mr. Gilchrist said. “Now, if you have a Denali, you get that. People turn their heads to look.”

• Like 1

Well, I'm sorry, but that is real dumb dealership speak.

He traded in a BMW 550i because he needed a truck. Not too many trucks at the BMW dealership, since BMW doesn't make them. I'm sure there are folks that trade in BMW, Mercedes, Jaguar, and Lexus cars on Ford Platinum, Limited, or King Ranch trucks also................ since they needed a truck.

Good grief.

• Like 3

He traded in a BMW 550i because he needed a truck. Not too many trucks at the BMW dealership, since BMW doesn't make them. I'm sure there are folks that trade in BMW, Mercedes, Jaguar, and Lexus cars on Ford Platinum, Limited, or King Ranch trucks also................ since they needed a truck.

With luxury pickup trucks like GMC Denali, Chevy High Country, Ford Platinum, Ram Laramie Longhorn, Toyota 1794 Edition, and Nissan Platinum Reserve, it's not about "needing" a truck. It's about "want" and image. Premium trucks deliver those things more than even the best European and Japanese made luxury sedans nowadays. The New York Times article was titled "More Luxury Buyers Ditch the Imports and Pick Up a Truck". To your point, the European and Japanese luxury auto brands don't sell pickup trucks in the U.S. and that's their loss. The two American companies that make luxury trucks (GM and Ford) dominate that market, and the latest high-end trucks from the foreign companies (FCA, Toyota, and Nissan) are all designed and assembled in the U.S.

The customer who traded in his or her 2012 550i for a Sierra Denali at the Tacoma dealership may have truly "needed" a truck. The NYT article doesn't say. More likely though he or she wanted the image that comes from owning a luxury truck, and may not ever use the Denali for stuff that trucks are optimized to do like carry heavy or dirty loads and towing. The truck will probably be used for commuting and personal/family travel more than anything else. A Sierra Denali has lots of amenities that rival Mercedes-Benz or BMW luxury sedans, so it can do those things well too.

Luxury truck customers are happy because they can flaunt their status symbol and get other people to notice, and the luxury truck manufacturers and dealers are happy because those customers are their most profitable.

• Like 1

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

The New York Times article

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

The NYT article

Fixed it for you....

• Like 2