Ford to reveal future product plans on Thursday (Bronco under cover and a baby Bronco!)

I dont know, theres an awful lot of investment into the new 8F transmission for it to be limited to just the Focus and Escape as its main volume.

You also have to consider production capacity for the 10R transmission. We already know that the F-Series will be using a metric buttload of them, and Mustang, Ranger, and Bronco will be getting them, so will they be able to produce enough of them to add Edge to the mix?

Did they say Raptor models or just more Ford Performance models like the Explorer ST? They had previously talked bout boosting that vehicle count.

I'm actually surprised the NG Escape is not getting the ST or RS treatment in the US as the Kuga is in Europe....at least they did not acknowledge it.

They said Raptor models specifically. I dont remember which exec it was.

I wont be surprised to see the Escape get the ST treatment too. I agree it was odd they wouldnt have mentioned that.

I dont know, theres an awful lot of investment into the new 8F transmission for it to be limited to just the Focus and Escape as its main volume.

I say that because we dont know whats happening to the Fusion and the Lincolns arent going to ever bring as much volume as their ford counterparts

Maybe one reason for backing down to 8 gears from 9 was because it was only going to go in C cars/utilities and they didn't want to spend the extra $$$ to add the ninth gear for the smaller loads. All the RWD version of CD6 will get a version of the 10R. Just thinking out loud...

Maybe one reason for backing down to 8 gears from 9 was because it was only going to go in C cars/utilities and they didn't want to spend the extra $$$ to add the ninth gear for the smaller loads. All the RWD version of CD6 will get a version of the 10R. Just thinking out loud...

makes sense. Word is the engineers were seeing minimal efficiency returns between 8 and 9 gears. That could be why.

I didn't know the reveal was in Paris

makes sense. Word is the engineers were seeing minimal efficiency returns between 8 and 9 gears. That could be why.

remember reading a long time ago that 8-speeds were optimal

• Like 1

Wasn't it also because of the poor shift quality reported from the GM and FCA 9 speeds?

Wasn't it also because of the poor shift quality reported from the GM and FCA 9 speeds?

That was one of the speculations although I think they would have made that decision before the tranny actually appeared in a GM vehicle. More likely they found the same issue in their internal testing.

Yes, I heard that as well.

Makes me wonder how Ford got the 10 speed so right

When the GM lead 9 speed seems so touchy

Because Ford had the lead...that's why it's right! :)

Edited by fordmantpw
  • Like 1

So after 23 pages, maybe we can recap what Ford is set to reveal? As far as I know, these things were confirmed at the news conference:

1. Bronco will come in SWB 2 door and LWB 4 door version. Everyone is happy and civil war is averted.

2. "Short C" smaller CUV to slot in below Escape that "promises to have serious off road chops".

3. CD6 will indeed be RWD.

4. All FWD vehicles will converge on the same platform similar to VW's MQB / Toyota's TGNA / Renualt-Nissan's CFM / PSA's EMP / Honda's Civic

5. Aviator name is confirmed for CD6 Lincoln

6. Explorer ST is a go

7. Explorer hybrid (no clarification if it is PHEV Energi or just hybrid)

8. Escape hybrid (no clarification if it is PHEV Energi or just hybrid)

9. Bronco hybrid (no clarification if it is PHEV Energi or just hybrid)

10. First BEV from the new dedicated EV platform should go on sale in 2020

11. Hybrid system will be on multiple FWD models in addition to Escape (no clarification if it is parallel hybrid like the current C-Max/Fusion or the 48 volt system intended for European market)

12. New Transit already in the works

Previously disclosed plans but fully reaffirmed:

1. F-150 diesel

2. F-150 hybrid (no clarification if it is PHEV Energi or just hybrid)

3. Mustang hybrid will be a performance model not an economy offering ("V8 like torque")

4. Mustang will be CD6

5. There will be more Lincoln models

6. Mustang GT500

Things left unmentioned:

1. Midsize sedan

2. Edge migrating to CD6 or staying on FWD platform

3. Continental moving to CD6

Did I miss anything?

The 4th new nameplate?

1st: Aviator

2nd: "Baby Bronco" (Short C C/SUV)

3rd: BEV CUV

4th: ?? (from the hint, it should be a car)

Yes, I heard that as well.

Because Ford had the lead...that's why it's right! :)

Just had an argument with a guy on Facebook who thinks Ford built the 10 speed then gave it to GM and they just modified it. And GM did the same with the 8/9 speed.

As opposed to they did a joint design then each mfr built their own version which is what happened.

But he claims he knows this because he works on transmissions.

Just had an argument with a guy on Facebook who thinks Ford built the 10 speed then gave it to GM and they just modified it. And GM did the same with the 8/9 speed.

As opposed to they did a joint design then each mfr built their own version which is what happened.

But he claims he knows this because he works on transmissions.

LOL! Arguing on FB is like pi$$ing up a rope. Very unproductive, and it always gets messy.

• Like 1

LOL! Arguing on FB is like pi$$ing up a rope. Very unproductive, and it always gets messy.

I'm really trying to do a lot less of that but it's just so damned hard for me to let an inaccuracy go unchallenged.

I have to keep channeling my inner Elsa:

0.jpg

• Like 1

So after 23 pages, maybe we can recap what Ford is set to reveal? As far as I know, these things were confirmed at the news conference:

1. Bronco will come in SWB 2 door and LWB 4 door version. Everyone is happy and civil war is averted.

2. "Short C" smaller CUV to slot in below Escape that "promises to have serious off road chops".

3. CD6 will indeed be RWD.

4. All FWD vehicles will converge on the same platform similar to VW's MQB / Toyota's TGNA / Renualt-Nissan's CFM / PSA's EMP / Honda's Civic

5. Aviator name is confirmed for CD6 Lincoln

6. Explorer ST is a go

7. Explorer hybrid (no clarification if it is PHEV Energi or just hybrid)

8. Escape hybrid (no clarification if it is PHEV Energi or just hybrid)

9. Bronco hybrid (no clarification if it is PHEV Energi or just hybrid)

10. First BEV from the new dedicated EV platform should go on sale in 2020

11. Hybrid system will be on multiple FWD models in addition to Escape (no clarification if it is parallel hybrid like the current C-Max/Fusion or the 48 volt system intended for European market)

12. New Transit already in the works

Previously disclosed plans but fully reaffirmed:

1. F-150 diesel

2. F-150 hybrid (no clarification if it is PHEV Energi or just hybrid)

3. Mustang hybrid will be a performance model not an economy offering ("V8 like torque")

4. Mustang will be CD6

5. There will be more Lincoln models

6. Mustang GT500

Things left unmentioned:

1. Midsize sedan

2. Edge migrating to CD6 or staying on FWD platform

3. Continental moving to CD6

Did I miss anything?

Super Duty refresh for 2019, which I'm assuming also entails the new Gas 7xx engine.