Programming a third key fob

flagman

Long time Ford and Lincoln owner, currently own an 18 Navigator Select and 17 Raptor. I programmed the Raptor third key fob easily as the manual directed, having two fobs, but the third fob for the Navigator fails. I've tried 6 times, doing exactly as the Navigator owners manual says. Can anyone offer any insight as how to do this correctly, the manual says its possible with two fobs, thanks in advance, flagman

I had a bunch of failed attempts on programming my 3rd key (MKZ, same procedure). The procedure needs to be done within 30 seconds. I tried a bunch of times and was getting nowhere, then I finally got it to work by using string on the FOBs to speed up the process (I read that trick on another Lincoln forum). It worked on the 1st try with the strings attached.

QpQxLhf.jpg

Edited by fusionff

I had a guy locally offer to do it for 75 bucks so before I got back to the forum thread, he actually had already done it for me I did it within 30 seconds a couple the and didn't get it to work, the dealer where I bought this in Farmington New Mexico told me you couldn't program it yourself, you have to bring it into a dealership or a lovksmith with the computer, for security reasons. I did save a couple hundred bucks over the dealers quote as I bought the key online from carandtruckremotes. Com

I had a guy locally offer to do it for 75 bucks so before I got back to the forum thread, he actually had already done it for me I did it within 30 seconds a couple the and didn't get it to work, the dealer where I bought this in Farmington New Mexico told me you couldn't program it yourself, you have to bring it into a dealership or a lovksmith with the computer, for security reasons. I did save a couple hundred bucks over the dealers quote as I bought the key online from carandtruckremotes. Com

Fusionff - Is this the procedure used? (From 2018 Navigator owner manual 1st printing, page86; seems to be removed from 2nd printing)
You must have two previously programmed intelligent access keys inside your vehicle and the new unprogrammed intelligent access key readily accessible. You can purchase replacement keys or remote controls from an authorized dealer.
Make sure that the ignition is switched off before beginning this procedure. Make sure that you close all the doors before beginning and that they remain closed throughout the procedure. Carry out all steps within 30 seconds of starting the sequence. Stop and wait for at least one minute before starting again if you carry out any steps out of sequence.
Read and understand the entire procedure before you begin.
1. Remove the key blade from the transmitter.
2. Open the center console storage compartment lid.
3. Insert the first programmed key in the backup slot.
4. Press the push button ignition switch.
5. Wait five seconds and then press the push button ignition switch again.
6. Remove the intelligent access key.
7. Within 10 seconds, place a second programmed intelligent access key in the backup slot and press the push button ignition switch.
8. Wait five seconds and then press the push button ignition switch again.
9. Remove the intelligent access key.
10. Wait five seconds, then place the unprogrammed intelligent access key in the backup slot and press the push button ignition switch.
11. Once complete, the information cluster displays a message confirming the key has been programmed. The direction indicators flash and the horn sounds.
Programming is now complete. Check that the remote control functions operate and your vehicle starts with the new intelligent access key.
If programming was unsuccessful, wait 10 seconds and repeat steps 1 through 7. If it still does not work, take your vehicle to an authorized dealer.

Edited by LHB

Fusionff - Is this the procedure used? (From 2018 Navigator owner manual 1st printing, page86; seems to be removed from 2nd printing)

It's pretty much the same, but not exactly.

You must have two previously programmed intelligent access keys inside your vehicle and the new unprogrammed intelligent access keys readily accessible. See an authorized dealer to have the spare key programmed if two previously programmed
keys are not available.
Make sure that your vehicle is off before beginning this procedure. Make sure that you close all the doors before beginning and that they remain closed throughout the procedure. Perform all steps within 30 seconds of starting the sequence. Stop and wait for at least one minute before starting again if you perform any steps out of sequence.
1. Remove the rubber covering (A) from the cupholder. Place the first programmed key in the backup slot (B) at the bottom of the cupholder, then press the push button ignition switch.
2. Wait five seconds and then press the push button ignition switch again.
3. Remove the intelligent access key.
4. Within 10 seconds, place a second programmed intelligent access key in the backup slot. Press the push button ignition switch.
7. Place the unprogrammed intelligent access key in the backup slot and press the push button ignition switch.
-Programming is now complete. Verify the remote control functions operate and your vehicle starts with the new intelligent access
key.
If programming was not successful, wait 10 seconds and repeat Steps 1 through 7. If you are still unsuccessful, take your vehicle to your authorized dealer.

• 11 months later...

Found on eBay (seller  remotewholesale) for $79.94 with blank key and free shipping.  This fob is actually for the 2018 Navigator as the hatchback control button actually depicts a hatchback rather than a trunk lid like the other fobs I’ve found  on line for reasonable prices.

The programming instructions from the 2018 Navigator Owners Manual First Printing worked just fine.

From 2018 Navigator owner manual 1st printing, page86; seems to be removed from 2nd and 3rd printing)

You must have two previously programmed intelligent access keys inside your vehicle and the new unprogrammed intelligent access key readily accessible. You can purchase replacement keys or remote controls from an authorized dealer.

Make sure that the ignition is switched off before beginning this procedure. Make sure that you close all the doors before beginning and that they remain closed throughout the procedure. Carry out all steps within 30 seconds of starting the sequence. Stop and wait for at least one minute before starting again if you carry out any steps out of sequence.

1. Remove the key blade from the transmitter.

2. Open the center console storage compartment lid.

3. Insert the first programmed key in the backup slot.

4. Press the push button ignition switch.

7. Within 10 seconds, place a second programmed intelligent access key in the backup slot and press the push button ignition switch.

8. Wait five seconds and then press the push button ignition switch again.

9. Remove the intelligent access key.

10. Wait five seconds, then place the unprogrammed intelligent access key in the backup slot and press the push button ignition switch.

11. Once complete, the information cluster displays a message confirming the key has been programmed. The direction indicators flash and the horn sounds.

Programming is now complete. Check that the remote control functions operate and your vehicle starts with the new intelligent access key.

If programming was unsuccessful, wait 10 seconds and repeat steps 1 through 7. If it still does not work, take your vehicle to an authorized dealer.