Sirius/XM Radio in (ALL) Trim Levels of Vehicles

phil1336

Purchasing several dozen "New" Ford Vehicles over the past decades an more recently since the advent of Satellite Radio it always confused me why Ford refuses to include the Sirius/XM Module into its entire line of Audio Systems. Cost can't be that much of a factor once the switch is made for the minimal cost of both the component an the antenna. I'm sure that Sirius/XM which usually includes a Free Trial Period 5-6 months would (if necessary) share some of the costs to possibly secure a larger Subscriber Base. If Hyundai with its Base Model Accent an Kia with its Base Model Rio have made Sirius as Standard Equipment for years, why deny Ford Buyers who choose Base Trim Vehicles not to have this added feature as Standard Equipment especially now that they have decided to eliminate the CD Players from their Audio Units. Perhaps its the same stuborness that Ford has had making at least Programable Daytime Running Lights Standard on its entire Fleet as well until the recent slow transition?

Edited by phil1336
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Roger that on the CD players, Buick going same direction on elimination. My '13 Boss has no Satellite radio function whatsoever. AM/FM with no booster but still pretty nice and CD. Listen to my MP3 player mostly with built in equalizer. No display in that either but LaCrosse has both and the Sirius option. Probably fortunate to have a radio even, almost a stripped down car with all these racing features. Should of got a GT? Naw.

• 2 weeks later...

IMHO Sirius is a dying medium. I used to be a huge subscriber starting with XM in 2002 and up until last year had Sirius or XM. With the rising prices and declining sound quality I decided to seek out alternatives. Went with Google Play Music. I download stations over WiFi with better quality and play them in my car. It works great. I also get the added benefit of music anywhere for one low price.

Just bought a new Mustang. It came with 6 mo free Sirius. I think I've turned it on for maybe 2 hours total in the last month. Quality is bad and I miss the ability to skip songs. I'll not renew, opting for the $10/mo WiFi in the car for my streaming needs.

Edited by itguy09

• 1 month later...

Some of us don't want to bother with downloading music. In addition, I also find most "hate" for satellite radio comes from those who live in major metro areas where you can drive for hours over flat terrain and/or city after city.

For those of us in "The West" (I know some of you find this hard to believe) you can drive for two or more hours and have zero cellphone reception-let alone anything but static over a AM/FM radio.

This is where satellite radio shines-And if one spends anytime on the Internet-one can know that this service can be had for $5.00/month.

Edited by CKNSLS
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

With Sirius I get the 5 months for $25 or 6 months for $30, whichever deal is available during the time I call. I have them connect me immediately to the cancellation dept and tell them either one of these 2 deals. If they don't I will cancel. If you call after your cancellation date and they begin a new billing cycle, they will try to get you to pay for the additional time accumulated at the full subscription price. I ask them to waive the additional fees and they always do

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
On 7/16/2018 at 6:25 AM, kidcoach101 said:

With Sirius I get the 5 months for $25 or 6 months for $30, whichever deal is available during the time I call. I have them connect me immediately to the cancellation dept and tell them either one of these 2 deals. If they don't I will cancel. If you call after your cancellation date and they begin a new billing cycle, they will try to get you to pay for the additional time accumulated at the full subscription price. I ask them to waive the additional fees and they always do

This works every time. I like it for the sports, talk radio, and music (in that order). The sound quality isn't the best for music but it's decent. I live in Chicago and I can't stand the local radio. 5 bucks a month is worth it.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/11/2018 at 11:38 PM, jcartwright99 said:

This works every time. I like it for the sports, talk radio, and music (in that order). The sound quality isn't the best for music but it's decent. I live in Chicago and I can't stand the local radio. 5 bucks a month is worth it.

I use Sirius frequently for sports play-by-play of non-local teams’ games, or to listen to audio of some television programming or to the BBC for an international perspective on the world, or, if my wife is in the car, to tune in 50s on 5 or 60s on 6 (her favorites).  And I agree with CKNSLS that satellite radio is very welcome when driving in the western US and away from major metropolitan areas with their dozens of FM or AM stations.

• 6 months later...

I just wish you would get all the Sirus /Xm channels, I like channel 350 red white and booze and not able to get it in a Ford. I got it in my Dodge, I called  sirus and the said ford radios are not compatible to get all stations. Don’t make any sense to me.

Edited by 143lineman

Worse is even HD radio is not available unless you move up a trim level or two.
It's what stopped me from buying the MKX a few years back on the one I was looking over.

Plus there's no monthly fees etc.  But the owner of the HD technology wants too much for the chips etc.

On 5/17/2018 at 4:37 AM, Rich B. said:

I won an Alexa unit last year.
Once I powered and set it up, I felt it was only there to "help" me buy more things from Amazon.

Turned it off, put it back in the box, never to take it out again.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/9/2019 at 6:27 PM, 143lineman said:

I just wish you would get all the Sirus /Xm channels, I like channel 350 red white and booze and not able to get it in a Ford. I got it in my Dodge, I called  sirus and the said ford radios are not compatible to get all stations. Don’t make any sense to me.

I just figured this out earlier in the week. Ford radios are Sirius-only. Some brands are XM only. Some are SiriusXM. The only way to get Channel 350 and several other 300-level channels is with a SiriusXM receiver.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DMG777 said:

My family had a 2017 Traverse with XM radio but no bluetooth. We should make that a standard first in all vehicles. Are there any new Ford vehicles without bluetooth still?

I don't believe so. Base model work trucks have it now. I think starting for 2020 even the big F-600+ trucks have it standard. 

You can order a GT350R without a radio/Bluetooth and a/c but that's the exception not the rule. 

Edited by fuzzymoomoo

• 6 months later...
On 7/9/2019 at 7:27 PM, 143lineman said:

my 2015 F-350 cannot get #350,.... My wifes 2018 Explorer cannot get #350.. My 2019 F-150 DOES get it ( and I LOVE IT ) ... I am hoping my on order 2020 f-350 will be able to get it.