Ford giving up on Fiesta, Focus and Fusion

Really? Waiting from April until September to explain the plan is going to give Ford an "edge" on its competition? Come on.

They already showed off new product plans back a month or two ago (Bronco/Baby Bronco-next gen Escape and Explorer under cover)

What they will be showing off in September are most likely things coming after them or official reveals of those styling-most likely the Explorer and Escape since they'll launch between then and Summer 2019.

Was wondering no where the hell you been! Hope all is well and following you on Twitter.

Think I followed most of you guys back. Thanks!

Like the interaction, just cannot get excited about what's going on at Ford right now.

I should add, I'm on facebook too, but I pretty much only use that account for posting nonsense

Edited by RichardJensen

As a Ford fan, this really sucks. Fiesta and Taurus won't be missed, but I hate to see the Fusion and Focus go. I just think they are overall great cars, and great entries into the Ford brand for a lot of folks who don't want C/SUVs.

However, as a Ford stockholder, I feel this is likely a good move. You are wasting resources on vehicles that don't make money. Why shoot for a 0-0.5% ROI when you can have 2-3%? (I'm just throwing numbers out to make a point...not 'real' numbers). Times are changing, and if you don't change with them, you will be left behind.

Focus will still be here? I don't understand why everybody is so down on "Focus is going awayyyyy :runaway: " They put some plastic trim on the bottom and called it "Active" otherwise it's no different than other Focii.

Ford does. In September.

Imagine that....an auto company revealing more future product info a few months down the road. That's never happened before!

Really? Waiting from April until September to explain the plan is going to give Ford an "edge" on its competition? Come on.

Yes? That's 4 months closer to launch for those vehicles. 4 months the competition doesn't get to see those products.

Maybe Ford can come up with a high riding 4 door Mustang based car call Thunderbird with shared Drive trains to save cost, and give a sedan alternative. Similar to how Dodge has the Challenger & Charger.

Well I was thinking about this-the Explorer is more or less going to be the Wagon version of the Mustang

And the Mustang is going to be alot closer to Lincoln now then it ever has been too-since I have this suspicion that Lincoln will most likely pare down to maybe just one Sedan.

The point is no mfr should be expected to announce future plans in great detail. Sometimes they do for special circumstances but the more info you reveal too early the more time the competition has to respond to it. Apple never releases much technical info on new iphones prior to launch. It's just not smart business for anybody in a competitive market.

Now that has to be balanced with informing dealers and to a lesser degree making wall st. happy but it should not be expected that they should spill their guts in gory detail just because we're curious.

And I didn't mean to sound rude toward you if it came across that way - I've just seen on several sites people in such dismay that Focus is going away when it isn't.

No, you didn't come across as rude at all.

Personally, I think they should keep the Focus name and not change it to Focus Active.

And I didn't mean to sound rude toward you if it came across that way - I've just seen on several sites people in such dismay that Focus is going away when it isn't.

Reading in-between the lines on this-Ford stated Sedans would be phased out- they could sell just Focus Hatchbacks and the Active model (which is nothing more then a hatchback with a tiny lift and black cladding on it) and maybe the ST/RS models.

Reading in-between the lines on this-Ford stated Sedans would be phased out- they could sell just Focus Hatchbacks and the Active model (which is nothing more then a hatchback with a tiny lift and black cladding on it) and maybe the ST/RS models.

They also stated the "sedan silhouette shape" so yes hatchbacks and wagons are certainly possible.

Look, if Focus Active is a success, there is nothing stopping Ford from selling a Fusion Active (whether it continues with the Fusion name or not)... which is basically going to be an Edge with a fastback - imagine Edge with 3 different rear ends... one like the existing Mondeo hatchback, one like the existing 5 seat Edge, and one like the existing 7 seat Edge. So this is basically what Farley was trying to say in the earnings call but he didn't spell it out exactly.

Another thing to remember here... I'll bet Ford will try to certify Focus Active as a SUV instead of a car. This will lower the light truck CAFE number for Ford. Look at Suburu XV Crosstrek and Outback... those are the kind of cars that Ford will probably want to sell. They are classified as trucks (SUVs). So a hypothetical Fusion Active will be a truck for EPA and CAFE purpose but it may still be seen as more car than SUV.

Hackett also announced there will be a major product briefing in September which will give more clear direction on new products.

Exactly! I think the "replacement" for the sedans will be these "white space" vehicles based on crossovers. "An Edge with a fastback" or "Focus Active as a SUV". Look for more variations on crossovers. More vehicle silhouettes that can't be categorized so easily.

The bet here is that we are in the mist of a major change from low fwd vehicles with a trunk, to taller, awd capable, roomier vehicles with a hatch. But you know the "family hauler" has morphed many times over the decades. Its still a "car". People just want something taller, roomier, with a hatch not a trunk. If a crossover can get almost same MPG and handle like a car, and give me the flexibility of a hatch back for hauling things and a trailer hitch to pull things with the right options package, (which cars used to be able to do back in the day) then why would I want the sedan? Only because I like how the sedan "looks". Apparently 65% of people prefer the practicality of the crossover vs the look of the sedan. Fords bet is this that percentage will grow to north of 75% by mid 20s.

If not they can always lower a crossover, flatten out the top, maybe even give it a trunk, and call it what ever becomes popular after crossovers can't they? lol? Aren't we just being nostalgic and arguing about sheet metal here? Underneath they are still all "cars". Its just low rider, or higher ride, trunk or hatch, etc. People want utility out of their vehicles. Its that plain an simple. The people have spoken with their dollars $$$. Ford is giving them what they want.

I think the old timers have to calm down and accept the world is yet again changing. Also no need to panic their will be smaller but niche market for sedans for at least 5 or 10 years yet. Maybe just not from Ford. But as everyone has pointed out, its about making money chasing what's next and what sells in volume for a profit, not fighting in a shrinking low profit market where you are already not in the top 3 vehicles.

Edited by Tico
  • Like 1

No, you didn't come across as rude at all.

Personally, I think they should keep the Focus name and not change it to Focus Active.

Yeah, though keeping the Active designation allows them to re-introduce other variants at a later time. Active is really just a trim level, so in that sense, I agree. I don't think we'll see it marketed as "the all new Focus Active", I think it'll still be marketed as a Focus.......

Wait a second, now that I'm thinking about it - if we're only set to get the Active version, but the Active version is just a trim level, will our version have "sub" trim levels? Meaning our Focus "Active" will have your SE, SEL, Titanium (or whatever they keep) levels? or it'll be one size fits all, just with additional option groups and no actual trims?

They also stated the "sedan silhouette shape" so yes hatchbacks and wagons are certainly possible.

My theory is that these "white space" vehicles will really just be hatchback designs in the A7 sense, but raised slightly.

Exactly! I think the "replacement" for the sedans will be these "white space" vehicles based on crossovers. "An Edge with a fastback" or "Focus Active as a SUV". Look for more variations on crossovers. More vehicle silhouettes that can't be categorized so easily.

The bet here is that we are in the mist of a major change from low fwd vehicles with a trunk, to taller, awd capable, roomier vehicles with a hatch. But you know the "family hauler" has morphed many times over the decades. Its still a "car". People just want something taller, roomier, with a hatch not a trunk. If a crossover can get almost same MPG and handle like a car, and give me the flexibility of a hatch back for hauling things and a trailer hitch to pull things with the right options package, (which cars used to be able to do back in the day) then why would I want the sedan? Only because I like how the sedan "looks". Apparently 65% of people prefer the practicality of the crossover vs the look of the sedan. Fords bet is this that percentage will grow to north of 75% by mid 20s.

If not they can always lower a crossover, flatten out the top, maybe even give it a trunk, and call it what ever becomes popular after crossovers can't they? lol? Aren't we just being nostalgic and arguing about sheet metal here? Underneath they are still all "cars". Its just low rider, or higher ride, trunk or hatch, etc. People want utility out of their vehicles. Its that plain an simple. The people have spoken with their dollars $$$. Ford is giving them what they want.

I think the old timers have to calm down and accept the world is yet again changing. Also no need to panic their will be smaller but niche market for sedans for at least 5 or 10 years yet. Maybe just not from Ford. But as everyone has pointed out, its about making money chasing what's next and what sells in volume for a profit, not fighting in a shrinking low profit market where you are already not in the top 3 vehicles.

Haha, I was typing just about the same thing. I'm with you.

I am shocked by this news. I am so sick of all trucks all the time, but I believe and hope they do make the BMW like x4 type cuv 4door coupe type vehicles that keep sedan like shapes and reduce weight from usual CUVs. I would hope they could make a Taurus out of an Explorer this way and a Fusion out of an Edge. If the market swings back, it would be easier to switch to more sedan looking cars. After all Ford “elevated the sedan once before. Maybe the market is more ready for it today, but with a sexier car than the five hundred... and as long as it is not compromised like the current Taurus.

As a Ford fan, this really sucks. Fiesta and Taurus won't be missed, but I hate to see the Fusion and Focus go. I just think they are overall great cars, and great entries into the Ford brand for a lot of folks who don't want C/SUVs.

However, as a Ford stockholder, I feel this is likely a good move. You are wasting resources on vehicles that don't make money. Why shoot for a 0-0.5% ROI when you can have 2-3%? (I'm just throwing numbers out to make a point...not 'real' numbers). Times are changing, and if you don't change with them, you will be left behind.

What's killing me about Ford stock the last few years is that we constantly hear positive news about rising ATP, especially on F-series, in the monthly earnings reports, yet it never translates into improved margins or profit. South America, Russia, Europe, China, rising materials costs, warranty costs, recalls--something always kills any momentum the stock has during quarterly earnings. This has been going on since 2014. Now we hear that Ford doesn't profit on sedans or Lincoln, when that was the whole point of One Ford. As a shareholder I am starting to question the competency of Ford management, and I agree with the other poster that said Hackett always talks about cuts, but never talks about what he is going to do. It doesn't project confidence. You can talk about fluff stuff like mobility and where you see yourself in 5 years, but at the end of the day Ford is a product company and their average product age is higher than most other manufacturers. Now they are tying to cut their way to higher margins by saying 30% of the buying public that drives sedans should look elsewhere. I just don't see it ending well.

Edited by mustang84isu
  • Like 4

Yes? That's 4 months closer to launch for those vehicles. 4 months the competition doesn't get to see those products.

Who exactly among the competition is holding its breath? Ford is not the market leader in any market in which it participates (talking countries, regions, etc.). Ford is not a profitability leader. Ford is a leader in trucks. All of this is about trying to catch up with the leaders, at best (trucks aside). So again, who exactly is holding their breath?

• Like 1

Thrilled everyone thinks a focus with plastic body cladding is the answer. If they want to build a small faux off road CUV that's great. But I don't know why they would bother keeping the Focus name. The Focus hatch at least was a great looking car that was affordable but did not look cheap (inside or out) and more importantly was designed for good driving dynamics on the road.

Sure you can build a car with a higher center of gravity that rides corners like a sports car, but you lower the center of gravity and it will do that even better. I find it odd they would bring the hatch over as an Active and not bring over a sporty version. Except I guess it would be challenging from a marketing perspective.

I just hope they can get Jamie Curtis to promote the Focus Active and its benefits for everyone's digestive health. Hey but the 500/Taurus' higher ride height was a smash so I guess it will work for Focus also

• Like 1

Thrilled everyone thinks a focus with plastic body cladding is the answer. If they want to build a small faux off road CUV that's great. But I don't know why they would bother keeping the Focus name. The Focus hatch at least was a great looking car that was affordable but did not look cheap (inside or out) and more importantly was designed for good driving dynamics on the road.

Sure you can build a car with a higher center of gravity that rides corners like a sports car, but you lower the center of gravity and it will do that even better. I find it odd they would bring the hatch over as an Active and not bring over a sporty version. Except I guess it would be challenging from a marketing perspective.

I just hope they can get Jamie Curtis to promote the Focus Active and its benefits for everyone's digestive health. Hey but the 500/Taurus' higher ride height was a smash so I guess it will work for Focus also

It's not 2005 anymore. The 500 was ugly. Done right it could work in 2021.

You do realize the Focus active is literally the same Focus hatch as the rest of the Focus variants, with just some plastic cladding around the wheel wells, right?

So not sure what the complaint is about regarding driving dynamics and whatnot.

Focus Active is a pretty sharp looking vehicle, but it's missing AWD which is why I think they aren't lumping this in with the "Crossover" class...even if it kinda resembles one (lifted, rugged cladding). If the Active is the only Focus coming to the US, they could give it a new brand identity...but it's also possible there will be the Focus ST/RS coming to the US which hasn't been revealed yet.

Edited by Assimilator

Who exactly among the competition is holding its breath? Ford is not the market leader in any market in which it participates (talking countries, regions, etc.). Ford is not a profitability leader. Ford is a leader in trucks. All of this is about trying to catch up with the leaders, at best (trucks aside). So again, who exactly is holding their breath?

So tell us exactly what Honda and Toyota and GM will be doing 24 months from now. In detail. I mean surely these other companies are revealing all their future plans too, right? We'll wait.....

Nobody does that. It's unnecessary. Ford has already revealed more than it should have sooner than it should have due to poor product planning (talking Ranger and Bronco). It doesn't matter if you're the market leader or not. You shouldn't give your competitors advanced notice of anything you don't have to.

• Like 1