2019 Raptor to get 7.0 V8

Im skeptical that this is really a DOHC 4 valver. I hope it is because that configuration would literally be a giant slayer.

Im thinking this just might be a pushrod engine based on the 6.2 architecture.

Where have you read that it is a 4V head?

Found this over on Ford Truck forum...........https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1480778-7-3-gas-engine-5.html

Originally Posted by dave91gt 12-23-2017, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by 2784 12-23-2017, 01:05 PM
We had a booth at PRI2017. A Ford engineer stopped at our booth. Confirmed 7.3 gas push rod for 20/20. and a 6.9l diesel in the not to far distant future. over 1000 ft lb of torque.

What he said.
Definite on pushrods and 7.3 guys.

Edited by jpd80

There was no 7.3L diesel listed in the 2020 oil chart. Are you sure that's not the 7.3L gasser?

Positive, he/she just drove it. Future plans for Ford in testing.. nothing on the books for release (yet). This is someone who drives/tests prototypes so it isn't like something that will be out next year. They also are playing around with a 12 speed auto in the SD. The comment was "reviving the 7.3 nameplate for the powerstroke".

I was still told yesterdsy 7.0 for the gasser.. so I guess we will see once it is officially announced what it's true size is.

Edited by blwnsmoke

I wouldn't be surprised to see two sizes of the 7.x. 7.3L and 5.8L would seem optimal for superduty with the 6.2 going by the wayside. Unless of course the 7.x is just a 6.2 with a taller deck. In such case the smaller version already exists. Not sure what the point of both 7.0 and 7.3 would be though.

Also hoping this thing is capable of 8L+ if they really want to make a move in Class 7. 7.0L is pretty minimal in that size truck.

Edited by Sevensecondsuv

Positive, he/she just drove it. Future plans for Ford in testing.. nothing on the books for release (yet). This is someone who drives/tests prototypes so it isn't like something that will be out next year. They also are playing around with a 12 speed auto in the SD. The comment was "reviving the 7.3 nameplate for the powerstroke".

I was still told yesterdsy 7.0 for the gasser.. so I guess we will see once it is officially announced what it's true size is.

Must be post 2020 then.

• Like 2

Even though the article dates as 25 April, 2018, some of the comments go back 7 months.

The Automotive News article is from March or April of 2017. Either way, the only thing I've seen that says the 7X will be DOHC is the headline on that article; not even the article itself says DOHC.

• Like 1

Ford does quite a bit of research on future directions like the units you mentioned, a 7.3 diesel would stir up some emotions for sure

but more importantly, that 12 speed auto could come into its own in the heavier SD and MD trucks....

I doubt that Ford would release a 10R140 next year and immediately replace it with a 12-speed auto, this is a more long term test program..

One thing for sure MD needs bigger gas engine and maybe a bigger diesel too, they're barely covering class 6 at the moment

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

The 7.0 Boss has been around since 2010. Not called Hurricane since Katrina. Not the image they wanted. At that time GM would have had a 7.0 LS and Dodge a 7.0 Hemi. Ford would have had a 7.0 Mustang as well. The Architecture back then would have supported OHC or push rod. The Economy and oil prices caused all 3 to be put on the shelf. A 7.0 liter Boss is a cake walk. Get used to it.

Edited by SteelyD

• 2 months later...

The 7.0 Boss has been around since 2010. Not called Hurricane since Katrina. Not the image they wanted. At that time GM would have had a 7.0 LS and Dodge a 7.0 Hemi. Ford would have had a 7.0 Mustang as well. The Architecture back then would have supported OHC or push rod. The Economy and oil prices caused all 3 to be put on the shelf. A 7.0 liter Boss is a cake walk. Get used to it.

One reason I would have to question the new engine being a larger displacement version of the 6.2L is the fact that the new engine is being built on a completely new line at Essex, not on the existing 6.2 line at Romeo...I know Ford has made some questionable decisions lately but why would they put all those resources into a different plant when they already have a plant building an engine with the same architecture? Is Romeo max'd out?

The factory order is confirm so the engine definitely exists and given GM is getting back into the heavy truck market - 450/4500 and up (a guy that is spearheading the effort for the mid-atlantic is a client of mine). My guess is that this engine is intended for large trucks though, given the Raptor is about excess why not put this beast in there for people that simply want a bad-a$$ sounding truck?

I also think given GM is about to dip into the DOHC V8 segment Ford may want to show their experience and dominance. If history shows us anything, I doubt GM's transition to DOHC V8's is going to go that well, from design to support it'll be riddled with issues. It would make sense for Ford to leverage and point out their experience with OHC and DOHC V8's extends back 25 years now. As far as fleet sales go, customers value ROI, TCO above all if GM slips on either Ford could capitalize on that dramatically.

However I think Ford is really missing the boat by not producing a smaller bore twin turbo V8 for vehicles like the Navigator and Expedition.

Edited by meyeste

I heard a very convincing comment as to why the 7X will not go into the Raptor or the Mustang: weight. The 7X will have an iron block. Early on, I did hear that 7X would be a taller deck version of the 6.2L, but what I am hearing now makes more sense given the issues why the 6.2L or 7.0L Boss never replaced the V-10.

GM has a lot of experience with DOHC engines, I doubt there is much likelihood they would screw up a DOHC V-8 at this point. Besides, I have heard nothing indicating GM is considering DOHC engines for large pickup/commercial truck use.