2019 Transit Full Size spied..

Article claims that the 3.2L Powerstroke I-5 diesel will continue, but sheer speculation would say that that new 3.0L V6 should be replacing it...I could be wrong though...won't be the first time...lol

https://www.motor1.com/news/240465/2019-ford-transit-spied/

3.2 I-5 Puma also continuing in Ranger for the remainder of the product cycle (2021)

Maybe Ford wants to get its money back on investemnt in the I-5 for Nth America.

Ford South Africa has announced that the Struandale Engine Plant in Port Elizabeth is to assemble EcoBlue diesel engines including for the Ford Ranger Raptor commencing in the 4th quarter of 2018.

Also the current component machining and assembly lines for the Duratorq TDCi diesel used in the Ranger, Everest are being expanded to eventually become the home for all Duratorq TDCI component machining for the Ranger, Everest and Transit.

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fma/za/en/news/2018/03/27/ford-expands-engine-assembly-operations-at-struandale-engine-pla.html

3.2 I-5 Puma also continuing in Ranger for the remainder of the product cycle (2021)

Maybe Ford wants to get its money back on investemnt in the I-5 for Nth America.

Or more likely with the cost cutting culture in upper management right now they dont want to justify the added engineering cost for fitting a new engine for a short production run.

If what we've been told about T6 not being engineered for V engines is true, then there's no way they'd switch to a V6 this late in its product cycle--too much engineering expense that could be better spent on the next generation of T6.

My guess is Ford Europe won't share the cost of engineering the 3.0 V6 diesel for Transit so it is stuck with the 3.2 I5 for now. It will require new front subframe, new transmission housing, possibly new front driveshaft for the AWD model. Plus unknown impact on Euro NCAP crash test with V6 engine - the US model passed NHTSA crash tests with 3.7 and 3.5 EB V6 but they were never subjected to NCAP testing with its pedestrian safety requirements.

For sure the Euro Transit will have new 2.0 EcoBlue but I think given that Ranger is keeping the 3.2 I5 for a while, so will the Transit.

Of course, I could be completely wrong... :)

Equally compelling is the fact that Ford invested a lot of money and efforts to Federalize the 3.0 V6 with 10 speed auto and the US spec Transit already has V6 subframe.

Edited by bzcat

The EcoBlue 3.0L V6 is most likely engineered to fit the power-pack design of the EcoBoost V6 engines. I don't see why they couldn't drop it in like they did the F-150. There might be cost and production constraints however.

I just assumed the big news for the Transit for North America would have been the new 3.0L Diesel and 3.5L EcoBoost + 10 Speeds.

Edited by Assimilator

It seems reasonable to assume that's coming with the engine upgrades, but this is one area I can only speculate about since it's so specialized. Isn't Transit fairly well differentiated for this region anyway? I assume we'll go back to regional development for these vans.

Edited by Assimilator

It seems reasonable to assume that's coming with the engine upgrades, but this is one area I can only speculate about since it's so specialized. Isn't Transit fairly well differentiated for this region anyway? I assume we'll go back to regional development for these vans.

Just the V6 engine which is North America only.

Rest of the world has only I4 and I5 diesel engines. Rest of the world also has FWD with low floor and AWD options which we don't get.