Deep Sleep Mode?

post-24801-0-61054400-1525138849_thumb.png

Got this message on my phone the other night that vehicle went into deep sleep mode (had just driven home a few hours before). Haven't driven it since. Just went out and it looks like a dead battery.

AAA is on the way. Will report back.

No mention of this deep sleep mode anywhere in the manual and Lincoln Concierge was useless in providing more details.

Don't recall leaving anything on or plugged in, but obviously something was.

Edited by HofstraJet

So it was a dead battery. AAA jumped it and the car started right up once it got sufficient charge.

Once I shut it down and locked up, the interior cabin lights were on, so that was the drain.

I thought they automatically shut off after 10 minutes. Will note to dealer on next service to check that mechanism.

hrmm with the huge battery in the truck (to support all the start stops) you would think a few small lights could stay on overnight without fully draining the battery. If it was LED lights they could run for days (or weeks even) sure it was just the lights?

Very strange. I have had the same message once before when I had my vehicle at the detailer for a few days, he treated the leather and carpets and left all the doors open so it could dry and air out over night. It did not cause a dead battery, I guess leaving the map light on is different than keeping the doors open.

It’s cumulative. These new vehicles have a lot of things that drain the battery over time. There could be some other problem causing a drain.

It’s a good idea to get a Solar BA7 tester and keep track of your battery status. I also use a Ctek charger/conditioner occasionally.

• Like 1

For the record, checked my dashcam recording and the time of the deep sleep message and it was abut 17.5 hours that vehicle was left with interior lights on (not just one map light - all of the interior cabin lights) that triggered deep sleep. Not sure how long after that the battery was dead.I didn't go to the vehicle for another 24 hours after deep sleep mode started.

And FYI - was reading in manual that many systems rely on battery backup so when a battery dies or is disconnected, they need some driving to reset. I haven't driven anywhere yet, but I guess they will reset on my next trip.

Any chance the radar detector and/or dash cam are actually still pulling power? I'm just looking for things in addition to the interior lights. It would be surprising for the interior lights to not be mostly LED these days, which should be able to run a long time without significant battery drain.

To bring closure to this thread, since the jump start, everything has been running normally. Guess the lights were the drain.

Also, this incident fixed a problem I was having with my audio tone control settings not being remembered whenever I would turn the radio on or off, even if engine stayed on (tone controls always returned to flat).

Now, the tone control settings remain. Weird that this fixed that issue as I tried a master reset before to no avail. That's my silver lining I guess.

• 2 years later...

Vehicle went into deep sleep mode. Had only been parked 2 days. It’s a plug in Hybrid and the electric motor battery is fully charged. No where in owners manual does it tell you how to get out of deep sleep. Lincoln Concierge had no clue, even after they kept me on hold for an hour. Called Roadside to jump start battery with 2000 miles on vehicle. Waiting. 

30 minutes ago, JFG said:

Vehicle went into deep sleep mode. Had only been parked 2 days. It’s a plug in Hybrid and the electric motor battery is fully charged. No where in owners manual does it tell you how to get out of deep sleep. Lincoln Concierge had no clue, even after they kept me on hold for an hour. Called Roadside to jump start battery with 2000 miles on vehicle. Waiting. 

I have an 18 with standard engine and it goes into deep sleep mode when I leave something on or when I travel and don’t start it for a couple of weeks. When in deep sleep, can’t start it remotely so have to start it the normal way. Nothing special to get it out of deep sleep - just start the car. Not sure if hybrid is different. 

Edited by HofstraJet

On 5/1/2018 at 12:19 PM, HofstraJet said:

For the record, checked my dashcam recording and the time of the deep sleep message and it was abut 17.5 hours that vehicle was left with interior lights on (not just one map light - all of the interior cabin lights) that triggered deep sleep. Not sure how long after that the battery was dead.I didn't go to the vehicle for another 24 hours after deep sleep mode started.

It makes no sense that having only one or all of the interior lights on would allow the battery to drain to the point of being dead, isn't there supposed to be a built in battery saver function that automatically kills all accessory power if anything is left on for like 10 minutes or something?  Every Ford/Lincoln vehicle I've seen in recent memory has had that battery save feature on it and it does work.  Many times on our company vehicles (Fusions, Edge, MKX, Escape, etc.) employees would drop of car after shift and accidentally leave light on or door/trunk ajar and it never killed the battery. 

The only time I experienced unintentional battery drain on a recent MY Ford/Lincoln was last year on our 2018 Escape when the engine cooling fan kept running constantly after the car was shut off.  It turned out to be a stuck fan relay which dealer replaced under warranty and threw in a new battery as well.  

On my Aviator it actually puts a message on the screen (see below) when it goes into battery save mode which happens often because of PAAK and the welcome lighting coming on anytime you walk by or within 30ft of the vehicle.  It will timeout after so many welcome sequences and that message comes up the next time you open any of the doors.

IMG_3044.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

My interior lights turn off if I’m unpacking and a door is open for a while. Not sure what happens if lights left on and doors remain closed. Would expect them to turn off but the one time mentioned above that didn’t happen. FWIW, the vehicle is parked in the garage and the spare key is hanging 3 feet away. Not sure if this changes anything.