Fire and explosion damages magnesium supplier - could halt F-150 production

This was updated today.

"In addition, Ford is working with the supplier to ensure it has enough key components to continue production of the Ford Expedition, Lincoln Navigator and Ford Explorer SUVs. For now, the automaker says final assembly of those SUVs is not changing".

Maybe theres a silver lining there. If they cant keep up with SD production, pause that and get ahead of the Expy/Navi demand a little bit.
  • Like 1

Maybe theres a silver lining there. If they cant keep up with SD production, pause that and get ahead of the Expy/Navi demand a little bit.

But if Expy/Navi have components that come from there, they can't make them either. (I'm assuming they do, right?)

But if Expy/Navi have components that come from there, they can't make them either. (I'm assuming they do, right?)

Theyre still building Expeditions and Navigators though. Im assuming theyre shared parts so they decided to use whatever inventory they have left to get ahead of the Expy/Navi demand.

Theyre still building Expeditions and Navigators though. Im assuming theyre shared parts so they decided to use whatever inventory they have left to get ahead of the Expy/Navi demand.

Ah, I didn't realize that. Certainly makes sense to catch up a bit if they can. I'm sure there's also already a good supply of Super Duties out there, with little to no Expy/Navi inventory, so they can probably "coast" on SD inventory for a bit while they get the supply worked out, whereas they can't with Expy/Navi.

From Ford internally

On Wednesday, May 2, Ford supplier Meridian had a significant magnesium fire at its Eaton Rapids, Mich. facility which has effected automotive production for several manufacturers, including Ford, GM, FCA and Mercedes.

First and foremost, we want all dealers to know we have strong inventories of Americas best-selling F-Series pickup. With an 84 days supply, customers wont have any trouble finding the F-Series that best meets their needs.

For Ford, Meridian provides three kinds of parts for our vehicle lines:

· Front bolsters for our F-150 and Super Duty pickups, Expedition and Navigator.

· Third-row seat frame brackets for Explorer, Flex and MKT.

· Liftgate inners for MKT.

The Ford team is working around the clock to mitigate production losses. Ford was first on the scene and provided technical resources to help Meridian stabilize the facility and return to production.

This an industry issue and a fluid situation we are working closely with the supplier to resolve.

My team and I will continue to keep Ford dealers updated as we receive further information.

Edited by blwnsmoke

Forget Super Duty and Expy/Navi....the real issue I see here that Ford should be concerned about is the production delays this will cause Flex and MKT....

:hysterical:

Now that's just mean, man.

Funny, but mean. :)

Edited by SoonerLS

It seems they're not telling the dealers much yet. My truck was due to be built next week and my salesman emailed today telling me about the fire in case I hadn't heard. They're not sure how Raptor production is affected and are waiting for more info from Ford.

Below is an article with Bad News for Super Duty buyers with Sold Orders waiting production:

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2018/05/ford-f-series-production-resume-sooner-expected/

Mine was supposed to be made tomorrow. I have sold 2 Ford trucks in the last month bought new to order a Lariat F250. All I ask for is the truth from someone who knows.

• Like 1

Below is an article with Bad News for Super Duty buyers with Sold Orders waiting production:

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2018/05/ford-f-series-production-resume-sooner-expected/

Mine was supposed to be made tomorrow. I have sold 2 Ford trucks in the last month bought new to order a Lariat F250. All I ask for is the truth from someone who knows.

Nobody really knows right now.