New to me Mustang 2.0

brucelinc

I learned a few things from my 2016 Mustang that I got in January. 1. I really enjoyed driving it. 2. Although used to Lincolns, the newer Mustangs are comfortable enough and refined enough for daily driving. 3. While the manual was fun to drive on the streets, it was not good at the dragstrip and to fix the wheelhop, modifications would need to be made that increased NVH and made the car less useful as a daily driver. 4. My 2016 was worth more in May than I paid for it in January.

Soooo, here is new to me Mustang 2.0. It is a 2018 GT with the 10 speed automatic, 401A package, safe & smart package, active exhaust, black accent package and 3.55 rear end. I will share driving impressions in a later post.

post-34962-0-10425300-1526063457_thumb.jpg

post-34962-0-28971400-1526063470_thumb.jpg

post-34962-0-23923500-1526063490_thumb.jpg

post-34962-0-75853500-1526063505_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

The configurable instrument cluster is incredible. It makes the one in my Lincoln seem about as modern as an 8 track player.

The 10 speed is great. In normal mode, it is silky smooth. In Sport, it is very firm and quick. In dragstrip mode, it bangs off full power shifts much faster than anyone could with a manual.

Edited by brucelinc
  • Like 3

Those seats look really comfortable. But don't you mean 5.0 (302cid) not 2.0 (122cid) for engine displacement, being a GT, maybe not?

My thread title was confusing. The 2.0 was supposed to mean my second Mustang of the current generation. It is, indeed, a 5.0 engine - 460 HP/420 torque.

• Like 2

The configurable instrument cluster is incredible. It makes the one in my Lincoln seem about as modern as an 8 track player.

The 10 speed is great. In normal mode, it is silky smooth. In Sport, it is very firm and quick. In dragstrip mode, it bangs off full power shifts much faster than anyone could with a manual.

Awesome Machine!!! :wub:

From some pictures I have seen of the Lincoln instrument cluster, it looked rather unimaginative. :drop:

• Like 1

Preliminary owner report:

I tend to judge vehicles based on how they do in comparison to my expectations and how well they fulfill their intended purpose. In both respects, I have to give my 2018 Mustang an "A+" so far. I will be taking it to the dragstrip on May 23 and then on a 600 mile road trip over Memorial Day weekend so I may have more comments after those events.

No one expects a Mustang to be much for luxury or technology. However, the Mustang checks a number of important boxes: Memory seats, BLIS, adaptive cruise, collision warning with brake support, automatic high beam headlights, rain sensing wipers, acoustic windshield, soft touch door panels, etc. In addition, the instrument cluster is a thing of beauty, adaptability and functionality. You can select any number of gauges to be displayed and choose about any color combination you like. You can have the steering feel normal, sporty firm, or comfort. You can adjust the exhaust to quiet, normal, sport or track. You can adjust the engine/transmission calibration to normal, sport, sport+, track, dragstrip or snow/wet. You can even mix & match all of these things using MyMode. The 10 speed transmission is very smooth and thankfully does not "hunt" to find the right gear. No, it won't park itself like my Lincoln can and you can't open the trunk by putting your foot under the bumper but otherwise, it has about every feature I am used to and many that I have never had before.

The seats certainly lack the adjustability or massage feature of my Lincoln but they are quite comfortable with plenty of support and enough length in the bottom cushions to provide nice thigh support. While the ride is firm, it is not at all punishing. For whatever reason, it is more comfortable than my 2016 Mustang.. possibly due to the difference in tires. Wind and road noise is surprisingly low. You can hear the exhaust but it is a beautiful sound and doesn't distract from ability to have a normal conversation with passengers. I don't know who makes the Shaker Pro sound system but it is great - better than the base Revel system in my Lincoln...probably due to the sub that is part of the shaker system and missing in the base Revel. Interior fit/finish is very good....on par with my Lincoln. Visibility out the sides and back window is also quite good considering how low the car is and the fastback design. Sync 3.3 is brilliant....same as I am accustomed to in the Lincoln.

Frankly, I really like this car....so far it exceeds my expectations and totally fulfills its intended purpose! So much so, in fact, that I will try to sell my Lincoln. Unfortunately, resale on it is miserable so we will have to think about that.

• Like 3

Makes me want to trade my Boss in on one, many upgrades since 2012 1/2. Could say I'm in primitive mode, no creature comforts. Do believe you would be looking at an easy sub 12 second 1/4 mile (will have to look that up). https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/a14749697/2018-ford-mustang-gt-0-60-quarter-mile/ In the 11's no less. We didn't have the tunable exhaust either but they gave us side pipes with removable baffles. Run mine wide open no mufflers (not that loud).

Edited by Rich B.

I am not expecting 11s yet. I will only have around 600 miles on the car when I go to the track for the first time so I will try to avoid all-out launches or absolute redline shifts. In fact, I might decide to wait until I have a few more miles on the car.

• Like 2

Roger that on taking it easy. Makes me think though, over the years I've heard both ways. Run it like you own it or take it easy untill first oil change. Myself, I take it easy but the Boss motors were way weird as they'ed develop an engine ticking after first oil change. Nobody knows why but believe it's something to do with the 4 camshafts. Even have a TSB out for this to add oil treatment (oil thinner) with the 5-50wt oil if problem occurs. Strange, as no problems with mine and don't know if it's a problem hence forward with the Coyote engines.

Ours has what Ford knighted the Road Runner engine, was a bit faster than the Coyote back when. Think the Coyote finally caught the bird though lol.

• 2 weeks later...

I was not using drag strip mode. That mode shifts at just over 7500 RPM and all torque management is eliminated. I just couldn't do that to a car with only 600 miles on it. These runs were in sport mode which shifts at 7000 and still has some torque management.

When I get more miles on the car, I will launch it like I am really serious and use drag mode.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

For the past several years of going to the drag strip, I have watched SS Camaros beat up on Mustang GTs. Hell, I even beat up on Mustang GTs with my Liincolns! Happily, things are different with the 2018s.

Last night at Brainerd, 455 HP Camaros were running 12.5-12.6 at around 113 MPH. Meanwhile, I was running 12.4 @ 115 in my Mustang. I never got a chance to line up against one for a head to head run. For some reason, they were sort of avoiding me. Before anyone says "but the magazines publish better numbers than those," I will tell you that they would NOT show better numbers on a hot muggy June afternoon in Minnesota.

I did get beaten to the line by a heavily modified old Chevelle, though. My car was 1 tenth quicker but my eye, brain and feet were not on the same page and he beat me on reaction time.

https://youtu.be/uVh-NZVI-zg

• Like 1

For the past several years of going to the drag strip, I have watched SS Camaros beat up on Mustang GTs. Hell, I even beat up on Mustang GTs with my Liincolns! Happily, things are different with the 2018s.

Last night at Brainerd, 455 HP Camaros were running 12.5-12.6 at around 113 MPH. Meanwhile, I was running 12.4 @ 115 in my Mustang. I never got a chance to line up against one for a head to head run. For some reason, they were sort of avoiding me. Before anyone says "but the magazines publish better numbers than those," I will tell you that they would NOT show better numbers on a hot muggy June afternoon in Minnesota.

I did get beaten to the line by a heavily modified old Chevelle, though. My car was 1 tenth quicker but my eye, brain and feet were not on the same page and he beat me on reaction time.

https://youtu.be/uVh-NZVI-zg

While it has no effect on your ET's, if you want to try and beat the car next to you, don't wait for the green light. Mash it when the last yellow light pops. Your reaction time and rollout is not fast enough to red light doing this, and you will typically have reaction times around .1 which will more than likely get you out ahead of the majority of people you're lined up against.