Turbo 4cyl Silverado

MY93SHO

Finally, the V6 in the F150 will be smoother than the 4 cylinder in the GM. But then the 4 cylinder should be cheaper to build since less moving parts, 2/3 the number of camshafts and cylinder heads, block boring operations is in one plane only

FTFY

Edited by blwnsmoke

The holy grail in the next few years will be plug-in hybrid or full electric pickup trucks with overall capability comparable to or better than gasoline or diesel trucks. I wonder if Tesla will be the first to deliver, or will it be one or more of the incumbents (Ford, GM, FCA, Nissan, or Toyota)?

See this:

http://www.hybridcars.com/ford-provides-details-regarding-f-150-hybrid/

• Like 1

FWIW, the 3.3 V6 is also an F-150 only engine, but the architecture is a 3.5/3.7 derivative so it must have come at a fraction of the development cost. Ford will probably have to do something to improve the baseline fuel economy of the F-Series by 2020. Whatever route they take I'm sure it'll be a smart one and not a response to anybody else. I always get the impression that Ford isn't willing to compromise for fuel economy so they take the route that adds benefits rather than takes them away. EcoBoost added far more than it took away.

Edited by Assimilator

https://assets-nydailynews-com.cdn.ampproject.org/ii/w680/assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.3755685.1515899334!/img/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/article_635/2019-chevrolet-silverado-1500-custom-trailboss-crew-cab-white.jpg [\img]

On a side note, I saw pics of all the different models for the first time. This custom trailboss in my opinion is the best looking one of the bunch. Maybe because its grill is copying the raptor. Is the custom trim level comparable to the stx?

Edited by T-dubz

FWIW, the 3.3 V6 is also an F-150 only engine, but the architecture is a 3.5/3.7 derivative so it must have come at a fraction of the development cost. Ford will probably have to do something to improve the baseline fuel economy of the F-Series by 2020. Whatever route they take I'm sure it'll be a smart one and not a response to anybody else. I always get the impression that Ford isn't willing to compromise for fuel economy so they take the route that adds benefits rather than takes them away. EcoBoost added far more than it took away.

I think 3.3 has a good shot at being the new standard engine in the mid cycle update of US spec Transit. It's due later this year I think.

As for what Ford may do by 2020, I mentioned on the last page... 2.3 EB + 48v hybrid...

Well it's something different, given GM's history of introducing new technology I bet even die hard GM fans will "wait and see" on the the turbo 4. In my opinion GM is reckless with this; Ford tested the 3.5 EB in production cars for what at least three years before putting it in the F150. Anyone that works a job that releases a product to the general public; they are going to figure out how break it in ways you never imagined. I'd have put the engine in the impala and sent it to the rental fleets for a couple of years to figure out the bugs before putting it in the Silverado. Rather than Ford my guess is GM is competing with RAM, doesn't FCA have a turbo four that is going to make it into the Jeep and quite possibly the RAM truck? RAM is catching GM fast and GM cannot afford to ignore them. My second choice would definitely be a RAM vs. a Chevy.

On the other hand I can't wait to ask Chevy Silverado drivers "does that have the four cylinder in it?....." lmao

By the way the 3.3L engine is damn good and has a following; it is actually a perfect engine for a standard cab truck, my niece has one, it's no slouch. There are those that want "simple" and the 3.3L is just that.

Edited by meyeste

The thing is people that buy low end trucks have a keen eye for "reliable". At that level mpg is not king, especially with trucks, explicit reliability is king. People that buy low end trucks want a bullet proof engine, the 3.7, 3.5 and now 3.3 are all from the same line and have a following. For the standard cab trucks they are no slouch. I am one that often says "GM does not have a marketing department" and it's crap like this that makes me say it. GM didn't need that V8 like 4.3L V6 they needed an engine like the Ford or FCA 3.x V6's, nothing to brag about. However the penta star and the now the 3.3L get the job done, get good mpg's doing it and are reliable engines. That GM doesn't get why people buy low end trucks just like they didn't anticipate pointing out Ford F150's are made of Aluminum would actually steer people to Ford trucks; because while no one is stupid enough to drop 40 pound paving stones from six foot into their trucks; we are all aware steel bodies rust, and aluminum don't.

Honestly that company is running itself back into the ground thinking they are knocking it out of the park the entire way.

I would bet in a year, the motor / trans combo will be offered in a rear drive sedan CUV....

Colorado/Canyon V6 replacement to go with the 2.3L in the Ranger. I was also thinking Midsized / Large FWD SUV's - Seems like a good replacement for the 3.6L in Acadia/Encore/Traverse/Enclave/Blazer/XT6.

• Like 1

Colorado/Canyon V6 replacement to go with the 2.3L in the Ranger. I was also thinking Midsized / Large FWD SUV's - Seems like a good replacement for the 3.6L in Acadia/Encore/Traverse/Enclave/Blazer/XT6.

In a nutshell, yes.

Gen II T6 Ranger doesn't arrive until 2021, that's why the big upgrades to 2.3 EB

and i'm betting Ford wants to be closer to 350 lb ft with more hP than the GM 2.7.

GM will be toast against 2.7 EB but the 2.3 EB Ranger has to fend off Colorado for +2 years.

Edited by jpd80

Do you think that with naming the valve train technology "Tri-Power" that they will limit this little beastie to only truck use?? It will certainly show up in other vehicles, FWD, AWD and of course RWD....too valuable to just let it sit in the truck division.

Edited by twintornados

Anyone hear what the block is made from? Has anyone gotten around Ford's patent of CGI yet? This engine seems like an ideal candidate for CGI....

Aluminum A380.0-T5. http://media.chevrolet.com/media/us/en/chevrolet/home.detail.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2018/may/0518--silverado-turbo.html

2019 CHEVROLET SILVERADO 2.7L TURBO SPECIFICATIONS

Type:

2.7L Turbocharged DOHC I-4

Bore & Stroke (in. / mm):

3.63 x 4.01 / 92.25 x 102

Block Material:

380 T5 cast aluminum

Cylinder Head Material:

356 T5 cast aluminum

Compression Ratio:

10.0:1

Firing Order:

1-3-4-2

Valvetrain:

Dual-overhead camshafts, four-valves per cylinder, tripower valvetrain with continuously variable valve timing, variable valve lift and Active Fuel Management

Air Delivery:

Single dual-volute turbocharger with electronically controlled wastegate; intercooling system. 22-psi / 1.5 bar max boost

Fuel Delivery:

High-pressure direct injection (3000 psi / 20 MPa) and electronic throttle control; Active Fuel Management

Ignition System:

High-energy coil-on-plug

Max Engine Speed:

6100 rpm

Additional Features:

Continuously variable oil pump; electric water pump; engine oil cooler, automatic stop/start, Active Thermal Management, exhaust manifold integrated in cylinder head

Horsepower

(hp / kW @ rpm):

310 / 231 @ 5600 (SAE certified)

Torque

(lb.-ft. / Nm):

348 / 473 @ 1500-4000 (SAE certified)

Manufacturing Location

Spring Hill, Tenn.

Wait, the 6.2L isn't available on the Trail Boss?

Pretty impressive that Turbo 4 runs neck and neck with the HP and torque numbers of the 3V 5.4L from only 8 years ago. It's really impressive how far things have come in such a short time.

Or it shows what an awful turd that 5.4 3v motor really was. Yeah I guess it was at least competitive in 2006 or so but man that thing was full of bad designs. What's amazing to me is what Ford achieved in the coyote which has the same tight bore spacing. It's not like there was any groundbreaking tech applied to the coyote that didn't exist when the 5.4 3v was designed either. They just tried harder on the 5.0L design and it really paid off. Edited by Sevensecondsuv

If I could inject a non partisan thought here, the genesis of Ford and GM's engine strategies are quite different.

F150 engine evolution:
5.4 V8, 4,6 V8 & 4,2 V6 ==> 6.2 v8, 5.0 V8, 3.5 EB V6 a& 3.5 V6 ==> 3.0V8, 3.5 EB, 2.7 EB & 3.3 V6

GM Silverado/Sierra engine evolution -some intermediate steps removed
6.2 V8, 5.3 V8, 4.8 V8 & 4.3 V6 ==> 6.2 DI V8, 5.3 DI V8, & 4.3 DI V6 ==> 6.2 DI V8, 5.3 DI V8, 4.3 DI V6 & 2.7 I-4T

For many years, the 5.3 V8 was the bulk of sales with 4.3 V6 making up around 25 to 30% of the total.
so now, the 2.7 I-4T is offered primarily grow sales at the lower end or is that to reduce 4.3 sales?

In contrast to the above, Ford introduced the 3.5 EB which was a big success and drew a lot of 6.2 sales
but also some of the 5.0's sales as well. The 2,7 EB was introduced and resulted in a three way sales split
between the 5.0V8, 3,5 EB and 2.7 EB with the 3.5/3.3 V6 counting about 10% of sales all the way through.

All of this tells me that the two 2.7 turbos have completely different roles in their respective line ups
and as such have very different sales expectations. Interesting to compare them but they do have
decidedly different functions.

Edited by jpd80

I'm confused, why if the 2.7 is a diesel does the list of specs rperez817 posted state "coil on plug" ?

The 2,7 I-4T is a gasoline engine with 310 hp and 348 lb ft, it can run on two cylinders.

it's like 50 lb ft behind the Ford 2.7 Ecoboost V6.

The GM diesel that's coming is a 3.0 I-6 turbo.

Edited by jpd80