Ford Protect Extended Service

foo

I'd like to know if anyone has experience with the

Ford Protect Extended Service plans?

Are they worth it?

One thing that I notice is for a new truck it seems you are just paying twice for the initial warranty?

ALSO, is using a Ford Dealer Service facility required to keep warranty valid, or are there other options for which type of shop can be used for service?

Thanks

You’re not paying twice but you are paying today for a warranty that doesn’t kick in for 3 yrs/36K miles (bumper to bumper) or 5 yrs/60K miles (Powertrain). And it is misleading because the stated coverage period does include the factory warranty.

If you can afford to pay for a big repair you’ll save money in the long run by not buying them. If you can’t afford a large repair bill then finance it with the vehicle.

• Like 1

I have an older Lincoln MKX and buy extended warranties to offset major hits. For example the 3.5 NA engine is known for the water pump failing internally and destroying the engine. Ive seen costs running ~$5000-$6000 for a new engine. PTU failure is also a common concern that will run ~$1600. (In-fact, I had the PTU replaced under my previous extended warrant).

What I actually found was it's not the single hit, but a series on small hits that add up. The first time I used my last extended warranty was to replace a vacuum hose. It was located on the back side of the engine and the dealer had to pull the manifold and other parts to get to it. ~$400 in labor (+ parts) for a simple hose. The seat lumbar broke, ~$600-$700 for parts and labor. Because I had an extended warranty, I had everything fixed that the garage found.

One other thing to consider is the cost. The dealership will price it for as much profit as they can get. What I did is go online and get quotes for my car. I then made an appointment with my dealers controller (the VP) and got his price. I then hit him with what I can buy for online and he instantly matched. I then hesitated and pretended not to be impressed and he bettered the offer by offering a $0 deductible if I had all work done by their shop ($100 If I go anywhere else). (I plan on having done there anyway.) So I let him sell it to me. (2009 MKX, 100k miles and I still got another three years).

The first extended warranty more than paid for itself. My current one, who knows. It's piece of mind knowing if a major expense occurs, I'm covered. Plus a loaner (can't remember how many times they gave me a loaner, plus free road service (I used this service when I picked up a lag bolt and tire went flat in the middle of nowhere. Also in a heavy downpour when I blew the sidewall on s curb in a $$!# CVS parking lot). Called Lincoln and they sent a tow truck and HE changed the tire. (AnD got completely soaked & dirty in the process).

So don't forget to consider all the other little things that the warranty covers.