ActiveX

I'm definitely onboard with well engineered synthetic leathers.

I'm with you Assmilator sir, the latest generation of leatherette/synthetic leather material is great. I don't know the exact composition of Ford's ActiveX. Other automakers like JLR and Toyota are using thermoplastic polyurethane synthetic leather materials. These are more durable, easier to clean, lighter, and more resistant to abrasions and absorbing dirt than natural leather.

My Jaguar XF has Luxtec synthetic leather seats. After almost 2 years of use, it still looks and feels new. The natural leather seats in the older Lincoln and Jaguar cars I used to own looked worn by comparison. And the cheap, low grade leather in some of the Ford and Mercury cars I used to have were even worse.

• 2 months later...
34 minutes ago, RedHoncho said:

The 2019 Escape SEL also has ActiveX seats listed.  In the descriptor, it says "Leather trimmed" seats.  I'm thinking possibly "pleather" along with leather trimming?  Or maybe it's just leather seating surfaces and cloth or PUL.

I'm assuming Escape SEL ActiveX seats are just like Fusion SEL ActiveX seats. In that case they should be pleather/leatherette all around. Attached are photos of the ActiveX seats from Fusion SEL. They are very nice. Better than real leather IMO.

fusionselactivex1.jpg

fusionselactivex2.jpg

• 1 year later...

My 2020 Escape SE sport with the premium package comes with the Active X seats. Mine are Sandstone and look and feel great. If they aren't real leather, they sure do look great. Have had the vehicle for about 3 months now and build date was this past February. I turned in a 2017 Crosstrek Limited with leather seats and I prefer the Active X seats over the Crosstrek. The leather on the Crosstrek started cracking after a year or so and I kept them clean. Whatever Ford did with the optional Active X seats, they did well. Ford says they will wear and look much better over time than traditional leather seats. I believe it. 

• Like 2

On 11/26/2018 at 5:55 PM, rperez817 said:

I'm assuming Escape SEL ActiveX seats are just like Fusion SEL ActiveX seats. In that case they should be pleather/leatherette all around. Attached are photos of the ActiveX seats from Fusion SEL. They are very nice. Better than real leather IMO.

fusionselactivex1.jpg

fusionselactivex2.jpg

I believe Ford says the Active X seats are made partly with organics like soybean. My Active X seats clean up nicely and no worries getting something on them and water spotting like real leather. Much more durable which counts for nothing with many auto reviewers. It's like no one has little kids or eats in the car sometimes

Btw, many of the "hard" plastics on a Ford are made from billions of recycled soda bottles. I guess reviewers hate that too. 

7 minutes ago, FordBuyer said:

Btw, many of the "hard" plastics on a Ford are made from billions of recycled soda bottles. I guess reviewers hate that too. 

I don't recall any car reviewers hating the use of recycled materials in the automotive industry. Where did you see that FordBuyer sir?

2 hours ago, LookingToBuyAFord said:

Or the soybean part.

Here is an article on Ford's use of soy based polyols for seating foams. I don't know if ActiveX, which is a seat surface material, uses any soy derived chemistry. https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2017/11/02/from-seed-to-seat--how-soy-foam-proved-key-to-fords-push-to-use-.html

On 6/29/2020 at 11:10 PM, LookingToBuyAFord said:

How much easier is the ActiveX to clean comparef to regular cloth? Asking because we have a kid on the way.

Just as easy or easier LookingtoBuyAFord sir. Use a vacuum cleaner to remove loose dirt from the seating surfaces, then wipe with a water damped microfiber cloth. No special cleaners or protectants are needed.